AFD Review: Melody Maker, July 1987

Album reviews are always just one person's opinion, and everyone has a different taste, you can't argue that. I remember that Weezer's Pinkerton was considered the second worst album of the year in 1996 by Rolling Stone magazine. For a lot of people, me included, it is by far their best album and even one of the best alternative guitar records from the 90s.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

I'm pretty sure Kerrang gave it a bad review too (one other popular mag anyway). My feelings are that reviewers who get things this badly wrong shouldn't work again in that field.

I actually agree with you 110%.  If you're unable to at least acknowledge that something is unique, then you clearly aren't fit for the job.  It doesn't mean you have to like it, but to not be able to say "wow, this record is  different than anything we've heard from this genre before, but that doesn't necessarily mean its good" then you shouldn't be critiquing anyone.       

The review is typical of its time from music magazines of the day, rock n roll was not being given an easy time, especially magazines like Melody Maker who were supposed to be like contemporary, fingers-on-the-pulse cutting edge sort of thing, so they were never gonna give stuff leaning towards more classic rock an easy time.  I mean 1987 in England you're talking about The Stone Roses, bands doing new things, the rave scene and Madchester, GnR came off as very old hat at that particular point in time.  Ever since punk in 76 this sort of rock n roll had stopped getting an easy time in the music papers, the sorts of magazine that Gunses initial core audience were more likely to be sniffin' around would be Raw and stuff like that.

GnR are like John Denver in a way, slated by critics but still sell millions of records because there is an audience out there for it who don't care necessarily about whats contemporary or cool and are more interested in like...just what sounds good to em.  Guns came along at a weird time really, even for America which was like...alternative was just about reaching a boil in 87 having followed on from Hardcore etc.  Guns as a band shouldn't've really happened, which is kinda great really, i love stuff like that in history, these weird anomalies that occur that are contrary to the projected path, makes life interesting.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 4

Personally, I love reading stuff like this. I've looked up plenty of reviews from the time of release for some of my favorite records. It's always neat to read someone else's point of view from when it was fresh. This one in particular is more humorous to me just because the guy was so wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

That's not the guy Axl threatens to beat up at the Marquee show is it?

I don't remember any threats but he says "I think it was the Melody Maker that called us weak AC/DC. I ain't no Bon Scott but that's a Whole Lotta Rosie to me".  Who knew!  

But the Marquee show were in June anyway so he wouldn't have been talking about this.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The review is typical of its time from music magazines of the day, rock n roll was not being given an easy time, especially magazines like Melody Maker who were supposed to be like contemporary, fingers-on-the-pulse cutting edge sort of thing, so they were never gonna give stuff leaning towards more classic rock an easy time.  I mean 1987 in England you're talking about The Stone Roses, bands doing new things, the rave scene and Madchester, GnR came off as very old hat at that particular point in time.  Ever since punk in 76 this sort of rock n roll had stopped getting an easy time in the music papers, the sorts of magazine that Gunses initial core audience were more likely to be sniffin' around would be Raw and stuff like that.

GnR are like John Denver in a way, slated by critics but still sell millions of records because there is an audience out there for it who don't care necessarily about whats contemporary or cool and are more interested in like...just what sounds good to em.  Guns came along at a weird time really, even for America which was like...alternative was just about reaching a boil in 87 having followed on from Hardcore etc.  Guns as a band shouldn't've really happened, which is kinda great really, i love stuff like that in history, these weird anomalies that occur that are contrary to the projected path, makes life interesting.

That part about them coming along at a weird time and how they really shouldn't have happened is 100% on point. Add to that the fact they actually survived into the 90s.

that could make that their next album name..."Anomoly" :D

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that could make that their next album name..."Anomoly" :D

I think it's time for a self titled personally, fitting on a number of levels, firstly it's become clear that that name has a great deal more mileage in it than it looked like in the Chi Dem era, secondly cuz the old boys (or some of em) are back, it'd be like some kinda statement of intent almost.  Something really plain for an album cover too, two colours at most, black and gold maybe, or white and silver, Guns n Roses embossed lettering somewheres.

• Like 1

They really were a people power kinda band all round, if being perceived as a hair metal band was bad enough at the time having your own label stop backing you and MTV refusing to play your videos would stop most bands dead in their tracks. Meant to be i suppose.

Well, to be fair, this reviewer guy might still think GNR are crap, so although he got it wrong about GNR being forgotten, he may still stand by his opinion.

Music critics are human like the rest of us, we don't all like the same shit. There's hundreds of bands and artists I hate who have sold gazillion albums and I couldn't name you one song from them that I rate. Does the fact that they've sold tonnes of records make my opinion wrong? Nah, my opinion is the only one that matters to me and if I say AC/DC are shitter than a roast without gravy then that's gospel, at least to me.

• Like 1