Fortus: this band is 100x better

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:40 PM, Night Drive Lonelinessl said:

Chinese Democracy CD TOPS AFD and TOPS what they ALLEGEDLY did

Completely incorrect but thanks for playing:lol:

And I do love Chinese Democracy but it doesn't top anything guns n roses had previously released or any prior lineup

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Both of you are probably very wrong. Axl said he wants to keep this thing going as long as possible. When the tour is over you think he won't try to incorporate Slash and Duff into a Guns album? you actually believe he doesn't want acceptance from the fanbase?

Why would he repeatedly say he wants to release more Gn'R music? the catalog is small that seems to bother him. I don't think he's satisfied with just 5 albums representing the Guns N' Roses legacy.

He will make his attempt and if you honestly believe he won't get Slash in the studio you're blind.

Attempting and actually seeing a release are two different things to Axl. He attempted to have multiple records to release off of the Chinese sessions and we have one CD to show for it.

57 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

Every time I start thinking about the odds of new music being released I get confused as to what I actually think the odds are. At this stage I think it's 50/50. 

On the one hand, Axl stated he's still interested in it, slash isn't the type of guy to just do what they are doing now forever, so the argument for new music is that once they've completed the round trip, that the next step would be logically new music. And with a very settled line up with fresh ideas there is no reason they can't. 

On on the flip side, we've had one new album in  24 years or whatever it is, and let's face it, these guys are closer to the end than the start. Axl moves slowly at the best of times on things and I dunno how that would go with slash who likes to get in and rip out a new album quickly and then tour it. The other thing that bothers me is the band so far doesn't change up the set list very often which indicates to me (rightly or wrongly) that they aren't willing to experiment it change much and it's all quite set in stone what they are doing... That worries me in terms of talking about new music. 

Like everyone else, I hope it happens but I reckon it's a genuine 50/50 shot, to be honest I'm not as hung up on it as I used to be, I got 3/5ths of what I wanted and seeing Axl and slash share a stage is bigger than a new guns album for me, if we get a new album with those 2 on it, then that's a bonus. 

I I get genuine excitement out of seeing them play and when Steven takes the sticks for those one or 2 songs it feels like guns is really back! I just wish that would happen a little more often! 

Axl seems excited about Slash's guitar playing live in general, but also on Chinese tunes like This I Love for example. He mentioned how Slash and Duff took it upon themselves to learn Chinese tunes and how he wanted to perform Coma basically cause Slash would enjoy it.

He didn't waste time and played Slash and Duff his existing unreleased Chinese tunes.

I'm fully aware Axl is capable of not releasing anything. It is closer to the end like you say, Guns is not going to be around for another 30 years.

But I'm hoping the excitement of creating music after so long together, the chance for Slash to cement his position in the band and for Axl to gain acceptance with another Guns album will be enough for them to really go for it.

It's not impossible. There are many scenarios in which Axl can get super inspired just by Slash's ideas. It's been a long time since he had Slash's talent at his disposal.

I feel like there's a chance but Axl is Axl so it's gotta be years and it's gotta be good enough to not tarnish the catalog in his mind at least. I remain optimistic this tour will end at some point and maybe not right away, but Axl will get Slash in the studio, they will each work on ideas and share those and try to come up with at least a final musical statement.

Axl got a lot of unreleased material and Slash, Duff, and Fortus are jamming in soundchecks. Slash comes up with new riffs all the time. It's what he does. They are gunners, I believe they can do it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Attempting and actually seeing a release are two different things to Axl. He attempted to have multiple records to release off of the Chinese sessions and we have one CD to show for it.

They can do it with their perfect natural musical chemistry. Axl seems to believe in this line up as well. I use the word "attempt" cause Axl has a serious tinkering problem.

But I think it depends on how shit will go down with writing and recording it. If it goes well, I think Axl will do whatever he can to actually release it but if he feels they aren't there yet, he will never release something he considers to be unfinished or not good enough.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

They can do it with their perfect natural musical chemistry. Axl seems to believe in this line up as well. I use the word "attempt" cause Axl has a serious tinkering problem.

But I think it depends on how shit will go down with writing and recording it. If it goes well, I think Axl will do whatever he can to actually release it but if he feels they aren't there yet, he will never release something he considers to be unfinished or not good enough.

Well it also would depend on how much leftover Chinese material Slash and Duff agree to. Axl has a lot of stuff in the Guns N Roses vault, so how much of that to they want to be a part of. Then, what happens to those leftovers, and then filler material would be needed so how much do they want to write and record? Whos going to produce it, where are they recording it, when. etc. There's a lot that would go into that, really. And what if there's an old song the band still wants to release with a solo Buckethead or Robin or even Bumblefoot wrote and created and Axl wants that to see the light of day? What would the other guys think of that? The questions are more rhetorical but, I think Axl created a hell of a mess out of the Chinese sessions and he just doesn't know the right way to dig himself out of...

Knowing what we do know, Axl probably would have been better off making Chinese Democracy a double album

23 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well it also would depend on how much leftover Chinese material Slash and Duff agree to. Axl has a lot of stuff in the Guns N Roses vault, so how much of that to they want to be a part of. Then, what happens to those leftovers, and then filler material would be needed so how much do they want to write and record? Whos going to produce it, where are they recording it, when. etc. There's a lot that would go into that, really. And what if there's an old song the band still wants to release with a solo Buckethead or Robin or even Bumblefoot wrote and created and Axl wants that to see the light of day? What would the other guys think of that? The questions are more rhetorical but, I think Axl created a hell of a mess out of the Chinese sessions and he just doesn't know the right way to dig himself out of...

Knowing what we do know, Axl probably would have been better off making Chinese Democracy a double album

I don't even know if Axl had the option of releasing Chinese as a double album, all 30 tunes. The label could have said fuck no. Or maybe he thought it would be better to leave the second half for a different time. But it's behind us now.

As for Slash and Duff 2 things: 1. they're playing Chinese tunes, seem to have no problem with that. Slash is playing Bucket and Robin solos. Never thought I would see the day.

So let's say he's playing 10 solos and Axl keeps 4 of the best Bucket and Robin solos? I can see how he might agree to that. I think this is why Axl said Slash can play on it if he wants to. Cause Axl will not just throw it all out cause Slash is back.

2. I don't think Slash will turn down the chance to play on another Guns album after so long, with everything that comes with that, but I suppose it's possible.

I think Axl has a shitload of unreleased material in his hard drives and he's talking about writing fresh material as well. I don't think that will be a problem. Putting it together, production, making the themes work now that is the real task at hand. Slash is a brilliant guitar player, Axl is good at working with ideas that came from others, turning those to great tunes.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Both of you are probably very wrong. Axl said he wants to keep this thing going as long as possible. When the tour is over you think he won't try to incorporate Slash and Duff into a Guns album? you actually believe he doesn't want acceptance from the fanbase?

Why would he repeatedly say he wants to release more Gn'R music? the catalog is small that seems to bother him. I don't think he's satisfied with just 5 albums representing the Guns N' Roses legacy.

He will make his attempt and if you honestly believe he won't get Slash in the studio you're blind.

Maybe, I really don't know, just my gut feeling.  However, if he wanted "acceptance from the fanbase", then don't you think he'd show up a little bit more prepared at the first shows of a tour leg?

Personally I've never really heard him say that, I know you are referring to the China Exchange Interview, but that wasn't my take on what he said and EVEN IF you're interpretation is accurate, that is far from "repeatedly" saying he wants to release more music.  I think you have missed the fact that they aren't talking right now.

I'm not blind, you're speculating and reading the tea leaves one way, I read them another.  Axl has said a lot of things that either haven't happened or have when he said they wouldn't. Axl isn't exactly Mr. Credibility in other words. 

• Like 1

It's an interesting topic of conversation and like i said, both sides of the argument have credible points. 

The other point that needs mentioning is this, what's the time frame when this option legitimately expires? I mean... Axl being able to sing exactly what he wants and how he wants on a new album? He's 54 now??? I give it a 3-5 year window realistically. 

People always point to jagger doing it at an older age, but that's soft rock IMO and no where near as hard on the vocal chords. So IMO Axl has 5 years to release a new one, otherwise it's over. 

46 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

It's an interesting topic of conversation and like i said, both sides of the argument have credible points. 

The other point that needs mentioning is this, what's the time frame when this option legitimately expires? I mean... Axl being able to sing exactly what he wants and how he wants on a new album? He's 54 now??? I give it a 3-5 year window realistically. 

People always point to jagger doing it at an older age, but that's soft rock IMO and no where near as hard on the vocal chords. So IMO Axl has 5 years to release a new one, otherwise it's over. 

He can probably use the Seeker/ISE voice until he's dead, it's no effort and still sounds great.

Why would fans enjoys seeing and hearing the same songs over and over again?    I really don't even see how having slash play kohd get me away from feeling I have heard this song played love a ton of times on the radio way more.  Someone else playing it doesn't take that away.   

I suppose some fans like hearing the same music.   I guess having a couple of older guys back in the band is cool.   Been there done that for myself 

also why would this band write and record music that is to hard to play live.  I will never u derstand why we will never hear some songs live and I hear  the excuse   They are to hard to sing and play live.    Then really what's the point of recording them. 

1 minute ago, TheBaconMan said:

Why would fans enjoys seeing and hearing the same songs over and over again?    I really don't even see how having slash play kohd get me away from feeling I have heard this song played love a ton of times on the radio way more.  Someone else playing it doesn't take that away.   

I suppose some fans like hearing the same music.   I guess having a couple of older guys back in the band is cool.   Been there done that for myself 

also why would this band write and record music that is to hard to play live.  I will never u derstand why we will never hear some songs live and I hear  the excuse   They are to hard to sing and play live.    Then really what's the point of recording them. 

I agree to halfway on this...

whet I mean is, if they released an album tomorrow and only half the songs were able to be sung live, that's completely pointless. 

However some of the songs that have been around for 25 years that he was able to sing then but not now is a different argument completely. 

For or what it's worth, I'm not interested in Chinese left overs, I'm not interested in hearing what people are playing who have been gone ten years. That's just me though I know a lot of people disagree,  if they do release an album, I just hope it's new material with the current band even though I don't have any love for frank or Melissa, I can cop fortus though. 

It has to be relevant music to this band for it to mean something. 

Agsin, just my opinion 

That's two different things really 

you have songs the band can't play properly live any more because of lots of factors 

then you have songs the band has never attempted to plat live do to lots of factors.   What was the point in even recording these ones then. If you never had any intention of playing them live.   The locomotives.  Move to the city's. Anything goes.   3/4s of CD 

8 hours ago, Tadsy said:

I agree to halfway on this...

whet I mean is, if they released an album tomorrow and only half the songs were able to be sung live, that's completely pointless. 

However some of the songs that have been around for 25 years that he was able to sing then but not now is a different argument completely. 

For or what it's worth, I'm not interested in Chinese left overs, I'm not interested in hearing what people are playing who have been gone ten years. That's just me though I know a lot of people disagree,  if they do release an album, I just hope it's new material with the current band even though I don't have any love for frank or Melissa, I can cop fortus though. 

It has to be relevant music to this band for it to mean something. 

Agsin, just my opinion 

But those CD ll tunes will be new to us. Some of the material could be relevant, some of the material could be rerecorded and some of it could be brilliant shit. I think Axl played Slash and Duff some of it or all of it cause he wanted to see if they liked it cause that could mean they might want to play on some of it and so that way he can use it and also use fresh material and make a hybrid album.

Why would he discard old tunes if it's brilliant shit he can make relevant again? makes no sense to me. He always kept old tunes. Slash did the same with Fall To Pieces ideas for example. Axl with This I Love.

Edited by Rovim

I think if Axl played duff and slash a stratched up version of marry had a little lamb. Played backwards.    They would both say to Axl.   Damn that sound great. Can we play over top of it 

money goes a long way.  I would do the same if I was taking home a million personally for a nights work to support Axl singing scom ever night.   Oh yeah man that's some great stuff 

that being said 

I would love to hear everything recorderded durring the CD SESSIONS.  UNTOUCHED 

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But those CD ll tunes are will be new to us. Some of the material could be relevant, some of the material could be rerecorded and some of it could be brilliant shit. I think Axl played Slash and Duff some of it or all of it cause he wanted to see if they liked it cause that could mean they might want to play on some of it and so that way he can use it and also use fresh material and make a hybrid album.

Why would he discard old tunes if it's brilliant shit he can make relevant again? makes no sense to me. He always kept old tunes. Slash did the same with Fall To Pieces ideas for example. Axl with This I Love.

True, but as baconman said, are duff and slash honest enough to tell Axl something is shit or needs reworking or are they yes men still? I don't know the answer to that. 

I think reusing CD left overs is messy, that's just my personal opinion, maybe there is a couple of awesome songs in that batch? None of us know... 

I dony have any answers to it, maybe one of these 3 will write another book and tell us? I'd sure like some answers to all my questions ?

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I agree, Axl is way too passionate about his music and he is a perfectionist, As he should be. It's just frustrating for us fans.

On 1/17/2017 at 7:25 PM, wasted said:

Well I prefered Sixx am records to Slash solo records. 

Nikki Sixx wrote those songs, he's the guy that wrote every single Motley Crue hit, so I'd say he's pretty good.  And the Sixx AM singer doesn't sound like a dying cat in a trash can. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, THEJOBLIN said:

Nikki Sixx wrote those songs, he's the guy that wrote every single Motley Crue hit, so I'd say he's pretty good.  And the Sixx AM singer doesn't sound like a dying cat in a trash can. 

Ashba is credited on at least 2 of the hits on This Gonna Hurt? The first 5 tracks on there are Sixx/Ashba. 

7 hours ago, Tadsy said:

True, but as baconman said, are duff and slash honest enough to tell Axl something is shit or needs reworking or are they yes men still? I don't know the answer to that. 

I think reusing CD left overs is messy, that's just my personal opinion, maybe there is a couple of awesome songs in that batch? None of us know... 

I dony have any answers to it, maybe one of these 3 will write another book and tell us? I'd sure like some answers to all my questions ?

Fortus said there are 2 to 3 albums worth of material. Dizzy Reed talked about a shitload. Axl himself said the second half of Chinese was completed for a long time now. They gave the label 30 mixed tunes.

I highly doubt it's just a couple of awesome songs" in there, but I guess it's possible.

If I was Slash or Duff I would lie and say it sounds epic, it's great, let me add my shit to it. But Slash and Duff are playing Chinese material anyway without Axl even asking them to do so. And they sound good on it.

Even if you're not a Chinese era fan, you gotta see the advantage of using the best shit from what Axl has managed to record. So many people have said there is a lot of material there. It takes so much time for Axl to move his ass. If they start from scratch and don't use anything, Slash will be completely bold and Axl will need a cane just to get to the gig and we still won't get another Guns album.

I think it doesn't have to be messy. Slash and Duff can be incorporated into the best material, bring some new ideas to the table, Slash can compose new riffs, work on new Axl tunes, and do what they always did: use old material, and also new shit. It will take years even if they use some of the unreleased Chinese tunes and when you add Slash to some of it, will you even know it came from that era? if it's good it's good.

2 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

Hits ?

Lies of the Beautiful People was supposedly a hit. I'm not sure what that means these days. But I guess you were trying to belittle Ashba, I still prefer Sixx am to Slash solo, mainly because of the vocals and it seems a little fresh. Maybe Dj has nothing to do with it, hard to say. 

On 1/18/2017 at 10:56 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Gloriously sloppy.

I have a problem with guitarists like Keith or Iz' being referred to as sloppy.  Or rather the idea that they play that way due to a lack of talent or something, they play that way because it serves the song, not because they are shit guitarists.  If you watch them playing, they have an acute awareness of like...when to take their fingers off the fretboard...then drop little subtle runs in there, that shows a level of awareness to what they are doing.  I'm not saying you don't know this already cuz i know you rate Iz', was just taking the word 'sloppy' there and running with it.

• Like 4