Fortus: this band is 100x better

On 1/23/2017 at 1:17 PM, Rovim said:

Both of you are probably very wrong. Axl said he wants to keep this thing going as long as possible. When the tour is over you think he won't try to incorporate Slash and Duff into a Guns album? you actually believe he doesn't want acceptance from the fanbase?

Why would he repeatedly say he wants to release more Gn'R music? the catalog is small that seems to bother him. I don't think he's satisfied with just 5 albums representing the Guns N' Roses legacy.

He will make his attempt and if you honestly believe he won't get Slash in the studio you're blind.

hey i see the glass even more than half full! GN'R has the potential this year to make last year just a drop in the bucket! glad i saw them last year but to be able to see the AFD5 in good ole 'Murica will truly be the best of my bucket list rock3

5 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

hey i see the glass even more than half full! GN'R has the potential this year to make last year just a drop in the bucket! glad i saw them last year but to be able to see the AFD5 in good ole 'Murica will truly be the best of my bucket list rock3

AFD5? you know... if they actually manage to finish and release another Guns album, I don't think Izzy and Steven will be a part of it. I think Axl is very satisfied with this line up.

Was never lucky enough to see the original line up but if I have to choose between nostalgia and new material, I choose new album every time.

Izzy and Axl are not talking, perhaps in the future. Steven gets to play 1 to 2 tunes live.

Edited by Rovim

If they wanted to do an AFD5 record wouldn't they have just done a 5 way split of the reunion tour to get everyone on the same page. 

I read somewhere Axl felt some lotalty to his band members and also had real doubts about Izzy and Steven. 

But if you think about it, Steven was included from the start but he got injured. They wanted Izzy too but couldn't do the deal. 

So I'm not sure there is a master plan behind the line up. But Axl has some material and they are writing organically. It could take a few years to really work out what they are trying to do, if anything. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wasted said:

If they wanted to do an AFD5 record wouldn't they have just done a 5 way split of the reunion tour to get everyone on the same page. 

I read somewhere Axl felt some lotalty to his band members and also had real doubts about Izzy and Steven. 

But if you think about it, Steven was included from the start but he got injured. They wanted Izzy too but couldn't do the deal. 

So I'm not sure there is a master plan behind the line up. But Axl has some material and they are writing organically. It could take a few years to really work out what they are trying to do, if anything. 

I don't believe the plan was to ever fire Fortus and Frank. It was to replace Tommy and Bumble. Tommy got sick of it, Bumble said Gn'R was only good in small doses and cried a lot cause Axl only released 1 album. He didn't get it.

I think Axl wanted to continue Guns and the money seemed right plus Duff explained Slash to him so he said fuck it.

He included Steven and tried to include Izzy but that didn't work out. I think he had no intention of firing Frank and Fortus. And also with what he said about Slash being a part of the album if he's interested to me kinda means it's still Axl's thing and he will try to make an album with the hybrid line up.

My guess is he doesn't feel like he needs anyone else to fulfill his musical vision. The hard drives plus the hybrid line up is all he needs to create a great Guns album. It won't be like with Izzy, but probably good enough for Axl and he gets to keep all the money. (his cut)

Axl has always wanted to keep Fortus because he is a fantastic guitar player and a great guy (humble, polite).

Don't forget that Slash wanted to "steal" Fortus from Axl a few years ago to play in his solo band (SMKC). 

Basically, Fortus is "the genius" everybody wants to work with! ;)

Edited by Caraibes

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I don't believe the plan was to ever fire Fortus and Frank. It was to replace Tommy and Bumble. Tommy got sick of it, Bumble said Gn'R was only good in small doses and cried a lot cause Axl only released 1 album. He didn't get it.

I think Axl wanted to continue Guns and the money seemed right plus Duff explained Slash to him so he said fuck it.

He included Steven and tried to include Izzy but that didn't work out. I think he had no intention of firing Frank and Fortus. And also with what he said about Slash being a part of the album if he's interested to me kinda means it's still Axl's thing and he will try to make an album with the hybrid line up.

My guess is he doesn't feel like he needs anyone else to fulfill his musical vision. The hard drives plus the hybrid line up is all he needs to create a great Guns album. It won't be like with Izzy, but probably good enough for Axl and he gets to keep all the money. (his cut)

Izzy would be the third guitarist maybe. 

It's possible the records are kind of seperate to whatever touring line up they have together. Maybe this time it's convincing the label/fans it's enough of a reunion record to get excited about. Judging by the tour, if Axl, Slash, Duff make a record the details will matter little outside the forum die hards. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caraibes said:

Axl has always wanted to keep Fortus because he is a fantastic guitar player and a great guy (humble, polite).

Don't forget that Slash wanted to "steal" Fortus from Axl a few years ago to play in his solo band (SMKC). 

Don't every forget. A huge reason these touring members are in this band is because they work cheap 

paying Richard frank millers a and even dizzy.  Isn't affecting anyone's bottom line.   For this price you get dependable workers that do not bring any grief to the show.   They show up and do there job.  Easy as that 

this band has lost all its personality .  We used to have touring members of this band that would be critical of things.  Used to speak there mind. Used to have personalities.   Now you have dependable workers that are keeping a this massive train going 

Just now, TheBaconMan said:

Don't every forget. A huge reason these touring members are in this band is because they work cheap 

paying Richard frank millers a and even dizzy.  Isn't affecting anyone's bottom line.   For this price you get dependable workers that do not bring any grief to the show.   They show up and do there job.  Easy as that 

this band has lost all its personality .  We used to have touring members of this band that would be critical of things.  Used to speak there mind. Used to have personalities.   Now you have dependable workers that are keeping a this massive train going 

Just like I think...

"this band has lost all its personality"

9 hours ago, Caraibes said:

It would be great if you actually looked up shit before pulling it out of your ass

Slash wanted Fortus for Snakepit before Richard ever was in GNR, there was no "stealing" lol. You know who Axl wanted to keep? ..DJ Ashba. Whether he wanted to keep Fortus neither you or I or anyone knows. What we know is Izzy is not in because he denied, and that's why Fortus is there.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It would be great if you actually looked up shit before pulling it out of your ass

Slash wanted Fortus for Snakepit before Richard ever was in GNR, there was no "stealing" lol. You know who Axl wanted to keep? ..DJ Ashba. Whether he wanted to keep Fortus neither you or I or anyone knows. What we know is Izzy is not in because he denied, and that's why Fortus is there.

What? I literally never heard that Snakepit thing. Can you back that up? I heard Richard just casually said on fb that Slash wanted him once

Legit curious

• Like 1

No one knows shit about Slash wanting Fortus for anything. Fortus was being a whiny little bitch and talking shit because he was mad. For all we know he made it up.. A friend of a friend could have recommended him to Slash while Slash was putting a band together... Slash may have considered auditioning him or just said so to appease someone. No one knows anything.. It could have been 100% fabricated for all we know. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

No one knows shit about Slash wanting Fortus for anything. Fortus was being a whiny little bitch and talking shit because he was mad. For all we know he made it up.. A friend of a friend could have recommended him to Slash while Slash was putting a band together... Slash may have considered auditioning him or just said so to appease someone. No one knows anything.. It could have been 100% fabricated for all we know. 

Didn't Slashs Manager approach Richard and ask him to join Slashs band on Slashs behalf? Just read that somewhere recently, don't know where anymore. And I think it was someone from Slash "camp" who confirmed this.

Edited by Harry Sunrise

39 minutes ago, Harry Sunrise said:

Didn't Slashs Manager approach Richard and ask him to join Slashs band on Slashs behalf? Just read that somewhere recently, don't know where anymore. And I think it was someone from Slash "camp" who confirmed this.

Following Slash as long as I have I really can't see him having a manager approach someone to invite them to join his band without jamming out and having proper auditions. 

All I have ever heard about the situation was from that comment Fortus posted on facebook. Then the story just grew legs. And continues to do so.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Following Slash as long as I have I really can't see him having a manager approach someone to invite them to join his band without jamming out and having proper auditions. 

All I have ever heard about the situation was from that comment Fortus posted on facebook. Then the story just grew legs. And continues to do so.

Just found the screenshot of the facebook post, it's on this forum. He said Slash "offered him a gig, playing with his band". Could mean different things, so I'll give you that.

But here is the interview I was talking about. It's a podcast with a St.Louis radio station from December '16.

Listen to 7:20 min, please. Sounds pretty clear to me and not like some overblown misunderstanding.

Edited by Harry Sunrise

He already had Gilby in place for the first Snakepit so it could have only been the second Snakepit, 1999 - 2001 ish. If I had to guess it would be when he had to replace Ryan Roxie (who played on the album) for the tour because Roxie was playing with Alice Cooper - Slash eventually settled on Kerri Kelly.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

He already had Gilby in place for the first Snakepit so it could have only been the second Snakepit, 1999 - 2001 ish. If I had to guess it would be when he had to replace Ryan Roxie (who played on the album) for the tour because Roxie was playing with Alice Cooper - Slash eventually settled on Kerri Kelly.

He said he got asked by Slashs manager at a Thin Lizzy show, so it would've been in 2011

16 hours ago, Rovim said:

baco to my point 

how cheap does Richard work that slash would want him as a touring band member.  

Slash. Cool this guy can show up on time and play    How much does he get paid.   Great. Let's make him a offer. 

What is the story here? 

7 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

I hate to do this to you Stranger but 

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/turns_out_slash_tried_to_steal_richard_fortus_from_gnr_for_his_solo_band.html

Ive never heard of him being considered for Snakepit either 

WTF. I actually googled again and didn't find anything on it, maybe I read his name in his book? I don't actually remember WHERE I heard it but I swear to god I read that Slash tried out Richard for Snakepit, this was in 1998- 2000 either before Ryan Roxie was even found or after he couldn't tour, Slash was looking through tons of people who could be his rhythm guitarist and then went with Kerry.

I didn't even know Fortus filledin for Vivian in Thin Lizzy. But now I'm curious if he meant Viv or Axl with "his friend" because he would have disappointed both of them in a way by going to Slashs touring band instead. It also seems possible this "manager" of Slash could have just been some big joker who wanted to start rumours, I mean Slash WAS there, but Slash didn't go see him after the show to talk to him for something as big as being in his band, only his manager made the offer? That sounds sketchy as fuck.

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

WTF. I actually googled again and didn't find anything on it, maybe I read his name in his book? I don't actually remember WHERE I heard it but I swear to god I read that Slash tried out Richard for Snakepit, this was in 1998- 2000 either before Ryan Roxie was even found or after he couldn't tour, Slash was looking through tons of people who could be his rhythm guitarist and then went with Kerry.

I didn't even know Fortus filledin for Vivian in Thin Lizzy. But now I'm curious if he meant Viv or Axl with "his friend" because he wokkluld have disappointed both of them in a way by going to Slashs touring band instead. It also seems possible this "manager" of Slash could have just been some big joker who wanted to start rumours, I mean Slash WAS there, but Slash didn't go see him sounds sketchy as fuck.

Fortus talked about Axl as "his friend". Slash was about to share the stage with Thin Lizzy but Fortus refuse to play with him out of respect to Axl (or out of fear for loosing his job :P). He offerd Slash his equipment, that's all.

We don't know when Slash offered Richard a job in his band, or if he ever did that at all. It could have been in 2011 when Slash was looking for a replacement for Bobby Schneck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Fortus talked about Axl as "his friend". Slash was about to share the stage with Thin Lizzy but Fortus refuse to play with him out of respect to Axl (or out of fear for loosing his job :P). He offerd Slash his equipment, that's all.

We don't know when Slash offered Richard a job in his band, or if he ever did that at all. It could have been in 2011 when Slash was looking for a replacement for Bobby Schneck.

So Slash canceled his entire guest appearance with them that day because Fortus refused? But actually that would make sense, I forgot that Slash started out with this blonde guy on guitar in 2010, didn't even know his name but Slash got someone else now. It's quite possible then but I'm still sceptical if that actually was Slashs manager, why would Slash not ask himself if he's there? Just weird.

If you have functioning eyes, you can detect Slash likes to play with Richard. He gets to solo his ass off and still he has someone with enough chops he can rely on to deliver a mean rhythm line and always play it well.

So it doesn't matter if Slash wanted Fortus in his band or whatever. I think they sound great together and Slash's guitar playing sounds natural with Richard. I like that combination even if it's not how Slash and Izzy sounded like together. But it works. Like it or not, it sounds full with just 2 guitars and varied enough. This is not Gilby Clerk and that's a good thing, he can do more but he respects the Slash enough to stay out of his way when he's doing his thing.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

So Slash canceled his entire guest appearance with them that day because Fortus refused? But actually that would make sense, I forgot that Slash started out with this blonde guy on guitar in 2010, didn't even know his name but Slash got someone else now. It's quite possible then but I'm still sceptical if that actually was Slashs manager, why would Slash not ask himself if he's there? Just weird.

Oh, I don't know. I don't think Slash canceled the gig at all and I don't think he uses Richards equipment, but that's just what I believe.

I agree with you, it's weird that Slash not asking himself when he's there. So maybe it wasn't the occasion we're talking about or it simply didn't happen.

Maybe Slash asked Fortus to join the stage with Thin Lizzy this evening and Fortus made "offered me a gig" out of it? Who knows?:lol: