"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

A Hard Day's Night (1964) The two words that come to mind when describing this movie are charming and innocent. It just works, it was the perfect movie for The Beatles at the time. Kudos to the director, Richard Lester, for setting a perfect atmosphere. And to a great supporting cast. Being a yank I have to pay close attention to the dialogue because it's occasionally difficult to understand. But that just adds to the charm.

• Like 1

Just watched 8mm (1999) for the first time. Honestly I don't know why this movie was so panned. I was thoroughly entertained by this one. James Gandolfini is brilliant in this. And a young Joquin Phoenix appears as in a buddy cop type role. This was in that great pre-9/11 era before everything became cheesy for several years...and just before Nic Cage got the reputation for being a meme rather than an actor lol.

Edited by Basic_GnR_Fan
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 5:17 PM, lame ass security said:

A Hard Day's Night (1964) The two words that come to mind when describing this movie are charming and innocent. It just works, it was the perfect movie for The Beatles at the time. Kudos to the director, Richard Lester, for setting a perfect atmosphere. And to a great supporting cast. Being a yank I have to pay close attention to the dialogue because it's occasionally difficult to understand. But that just adds to the charm.

Its such a great movie! I also love them in Help. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2020 at 8:17 PM, lame ass security said:

My mom loved the Beatles. She saw this movie in the theater with her friends in 1964 or 65. Everyone was screaming and back then the Beatles were the first British band who did a movie and she remembers not understanding a word they said! lol She loved it. John was her favorite Beatle She loved his sense of humor. Anyway, she will still watch it when it's on tv and still loves it, but now she understands what they guys are saying. And the music. Amazing.

I watched

Monster Squad with my daughter. Loved this movie as a kid and still love it. 

On 11/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, marlingrl03 said:

Its such a great movie! I also love them in Help. 

Oh yeah, Help my mom totally loved. The music was awesome. Her favorite Beatle song is "hide your love away". The Beatles had a wicked sense of humor . Such fun movies. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Just watched 8mm (1999) for the first time. Honestly I don't know why this movie was so panned. I was thoroughly entertained by this one. James Gandolfini is brilliant in this. And a young Joquin Phoenix appears as in a buddy cop type role. This was in that great pre-9/11 era before everything became cheesy for several years...and just before Nic Cage got the reputation for being a meme rather than an actor lol.

Love this movie. Saw it in the theater. I think it might have been one of Joaquin's first movies. It was so dark, but what a good movie. Nick Cage was awesome too. And hearing Danzig added to the darkness. It was such a sick subject, but it happens all the time.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:41 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Hell yeah, one of my favorite Horror movies ever. Honestly might be number one. Such great atmosphere, pacing, and performances.

I know a good remake of the original Dracula. Cushing and Lee are just fantastic together even when they are enemies.

My mom also loves "Brides of Dracula" Such good memories of her going to the movies every Saturday with her dad and brother. they all loved horror movies and me and my daughter love them too.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 12:44 AM, Oldest Goat said:

The Gift

4.7/5

The Lighthouse

5/5

YOU DON'T LIKE MY COOKIN'?!

Which "The Gift" movie is it? There were a few.

I saw a preview of The Lighthouse and it looked so confusing. Was it really that good and what exactly is it about?

I've seen: The Gift with Jason Bateman and the other with Kate Blanchette.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It's been years since I've seen it but I totally agree. The Machine character was pretty ominous, then to discover he was just a loner weirdo. I would say that's pretty realistic. 

20 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It's been years since I've seen it but I totally agree. The Machine character was pretty ominous, then to discover he was just a loner weirdo. I would say that's pretty realistic. 

Yeah, my mom and I saw it and both loved the Joaquin character.  James G played such a bastard and the wife of the perv was a real bitch. We weren't surprised that she knew all about her husband's movies. Rich people usually cover for each other.  At least in the movies they do. lol

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:28 AM, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

The Bunker 2001 WW2

The Trench 1999 WW1 (on amazon prime)

Not very well known Movies but found them to be Quite Watchable. One from a German Perspective and one a British.

With James Bond and half the cast of Eastenders as I recall?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YouCouldBeMine_2029 said:

Currently Watching 'The Sorcerer' 1977.

A William Friedkin Movie. Tangerine Dream Soundtrack!

Very Underrated Movie!

Trivia - Steve Mcqueen Turned Down Lead Role.

I think this movie might've been hampered by the title. I had thought this was a middle ages Knights of the Roundtable thing, boy was I wrong. I'll have to check it out, I've always been a Roy Scheider fan. And Friedkin.

On 11/15/2020 at 1:16 AM, lame ass security said:

I think this movie might've been hampered by the title. I had thought this was a middle ages Knights of the Roundtable thing, boy was I wrong. I'll have to check it out,

I've always been a Roy Scheider fan. And Friedkin.

I Hope you enjoy it as much I have!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

North By Northwest (1959)

Charade (1963)

Aside from both being contenders for my favourite film of all time, these films together make an excellent double feature. One critic once wrote that Charade is the greatest Hitchcock film that Hitchcock never made. It's overhyping it a little, perhaps, but all the ingredients are there and in many ways it feels like the spiritual successor to the former.

It's also safe to say that it is Cary Grant's last truly memorable film pre-retirement.

22 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I was talking about The Godfather. 😊

Sorry. lol

Anyway, I watched:

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein. Love this movie since I was a kid. Never tire of it.

Underwater with Kristen Stewart  A cool horror movie that takes place underwater, which freaked me out from the get go. Monsters were pretty freaky looking too.

• Like 1