"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On 06/02/2020 at 4:28 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Lonely are the Brave is an uber masterpiece, Douglas's own personal favourite (of his) films, an eulogy on the cowboy and the pre-urban man (rather Clint territory in some respects); the cinematography is breathtaking. Last Train from Gun Hill is a superior western with Anthony Quinn, which has a certain edginess (rape, mixed-race marriage). 

My personal favourite Kirk Douglas film. Used to love this as a youngun. :D

Parasite (2019)

It is certainly another masterwork from Bong Joon-ho but it is really no greater than Memories of a Murder (2003) and Mother (2009) - it is weird how Hollywood have suddenly adopted him (about ten years too late!) as if Parasite is his first masterpiece. They could have given either of those earlier films Oscars. 

El Dorado (1966)

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

El Dorado (1966)

One of my all time favourite westerns, I could quote it all day long, J P Harrah, Cole Thornton, Alan Badillion Trahern and his funny hat, to quote paraphrase Tarantino in 4 rooms 'John Wayne and Robert Mitchum being FUCKIN' BADASSES' :lol:

Just now, Len Cnut said:

One of my all time favourite westerns, I could quote it all day long, J P Harrah, Cole Thornton, Alan Badillion Trahern and his funny hat, to quote paraphrase Tarantino in 4 rooms 'John Wayne and Robert Mitchum being FUCKIN' BADASSES' :lol:

It is indeed excellent but I think I prefer Rio Bravo. But I noticed there are some great one-liners (something about ''stringing a chicken''?). Mitchum, Waybe and Caan chucked in also. That is a lot of Brut. 

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is indeed excellent but I think I prefer Rio Bravo. But I noticed there are some great one-liners (something about ''stringing a chicken''?). Mitchum, Waybe and Caan chucked in also. That is a lot of Brut. 

Bravo is undoubtedly the better movie, El Dorado is pretty much made, for me, by Mitchum.  He gives the film that extra push from just being an ordinary run of the mill Wayne movie to one of the special ones, that pairing of John Wayne and Robert Mitchum.  And its not even one of his better performances, I mean its comic to a great degree, it doesn't require a lot of effort by him but he's just got that fuckin' star charisma that when he's on screen, he makes it happen, makes the air move around him as someone once said. 

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Bravo is undoubtedly the better movie, El Dorado is pretty much made, for me, by Mitchum.  He gives the film that extra push from just being an ordinary run of the mill Wayne movie to one of the special ones, that pairing of John Wayne and Robert Mitchum.  And its not even one of his better performances, I mean its comic to a great degree, it doesn't require a lot of effort by him but he's just got that fuckin' star charisma that when he's on screen, he makes it happen, makes the air move around him as someone once said. 

Mitchum goes even further than Deano in ''dirtying up the drunk'', that manky shirt he wears and (he clearly has been enjoying his Christmases as has Wayne) accentuating his gut.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Mitchum goes even further than Deano in ''dirtying up the drunk'', that manky shirt he wears and (he clearly has been enjoying his Christmases as has Wayne) accentuating his gut.

Have you seen Out of the Past yet with Mitchum and Kirk Douglas?  You REALLY need to see that.  Film Noir at its best. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Have you seen Out of the Past yet with Mitchum and Kirk Douglas?  You REALLY need to see that.  Film Noir at its best. 

I am not sure. I might have. I will mark it down. Night of the Hunter is a masterwork, as is Cape Fear. Mitchum happily adopted psychopaths which is rare in a golden age leading man.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not sure. I might have. I will mark it down. Night of the Hunter is a masterwork, as is Cape Fear. Mitchum happily adopted psychopaths which is rare in a golden age leading man.

It took him a long while to even become a leading man, even though his stature and standing justified it, perhaps that was why, or perhaps that was just his way.  The guy was Oscar nominated for The Story of GI Joe and despite that, for a fair while afterwards, he was always kinda sharing billing in a way.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It took him a long while to even become a leading man, even though his stature and standing justified it, perhaps that was why, or perhaps that was just his way.  The guy was Oscar nominated for The Story of GI Joe and despite that, for a fair while afterwards, he was always kinda sharing billing in a way.

George Hamilton was relaying a story on GMB's Oscars special Monday, Piers and Susanne, in which he worked with Robert Mitchum as a young actor. They got as drunk as lords the night/morning before and turned up on set horizontal, people having to lift them up, etc. Then Mitchum delivered the lines note perfect - a scene that Tarantino could have been parodying with DiCaprio in that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood that you like.

You will know what that film was, Mitchum and George Hamilton?

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

George Hamilton was relaying a story on GMB's Oscars special Monday, Piers and Susanne, in which he worked with Robert Mitchum as a young actor. They got as drunk as lords the night/morning before and turned up on set horizontal, people having to lift them up, etc. Then Mitchum delivered the lines note perfect - a scene that Tarantino could have been parodying with DiCaprio in that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood that you like.

You will know what that film was, Mitchum and George Hamilton?

Home From the Hill, Hannibal from The A Team is in it playing someones son if I recall. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes. He mentioned Vincente Minnelli. 

Mitch' had a photographic memory so they say.  Like he would just scan/glance at the days lines and have em down.  And also a prodigious constitution for alcohol.  How true any of this shit is you never really know I suppose.  His past life is fascinating too, spent time as a hobo as a teenager, as well as on a chain gang.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1