"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

finally got around to watch top gun.

first off, this is clearly a movie aimed at women. between the syruppy love scenes / music and the cringy volleyball scene, it's hard to chose which is more cringe. Also, for a movie that focuses on the navy I found all these men to be complete wussies. The jet scenes were kinda cool, but overall the movie was a bit boring. The music is the highlight of the movie, and all the marketing around it. that jacket and those glasses are pure awesomeness.

I think a sequel is not necessary.

19 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Had never heard of this one, just read some about it on IMDb. Looks pretty interesting. Just curious, did you like The Exorcist?

LOVED it, went to see it in the cinema back in the 90s or early 00s when they re-released that shit.  To me the original Exorcist is like one of the greatest Hollywood movies ever made.  Given a choice I prefer the slasher movie, its very difficult for me to get a good scare out of ghosts and ghoulies and other worldly shit...but a mad cunt with a great big butcher knife ripping bitches to shit is kinda relateable, if you get my meaning :lol: 

But The Exorcist is kinda creepy from the jump, that whole Iraq arecheology thing with that creepy shit, it kinda spends 40 mins or so just building the shit up.  For all the fuckin’ heat it got for being this gratuitous thing but its actually quite subtle in many respects.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

LOVED it, went to see it in the cinema back in the 90s or early 00s when they re-released that shit.  To me the original Exorcist is like one of the greatest Hollywood movies ever made.  Given a choice I prefer the slasher movie, its very difficult for me to get a good scare out of ghosts and ghoulies and other worldly shit...but a mad cunt with a great big butcher knife ripping bitches to shit is kinda relateable, if you get my meaning :lol: 

But The Exorcist is kinda creepy from the jump, that whole Iraq arecheology thing with that creepy shit, it kinda spends 40 mins or so just building the shit up.  For all the fuckin’ heat it got for being this gratuitous thing but its actually quite subtle in many respects.

Absolutely, it's just a great suspenseful movie with many subtleties, as you said. Great performances all around. That combined with a great script and you have a classic. 

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Absolutely, it's just a great suspenseful movie with many subtleties, as you said. Great performances all around. That combined with a great script and you have a classic. 

It suffered a bit from the rep.  Its probably different in America cuz its always been available there but there was a big mystique around it in this country cuz it was banned until 2000 with all the attendant hype of a banned movie.  Trouble is when it was re-released times had changed and a bunch of people went and watched it with this 'go on then, scare me' kinda mentality and left it with an identikit review of 'well thats not scary' etc etc which I feel really did the movie an injustice.  Those bans were really stupid, they were ennacted in the early 70s and after that, for many years, I just think no one was bothered to review the case.  So the movie was really allowed its natural growth over here.  Despite all that though its still a classic and respected as such.

• Like 1

Hustlers. Thumbs up up up.

Ready or Not. Eh, I’ll give the thumbs up. It’s always a welcome surprise when one of those bullshit movies you’ve never heard of but there’s nothing else on and you’ve seen everything new you wanted to see so you smoke a blunt and pick something and it turns out being half way good and better than expected.

• Like 1

The Apparition with Ashley Greene

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

Hustlers. Thumbs up up up.

Ready or Not. Eh, I’ll give the thumbs up. It’s always a welcome surprise when one of those bullshit movies you’ve never heard of but there’s nothing else on and you’ve seen everything new you wanted to see so you smoke a blunt and pick something and it turns out being half way good and better than expected.

Hustlers with J Lo and Cardi B and the other gays. Amazing movie. Loved it.

I also loved Ready or Not. it was a different story finally that we haven't seen in other horror movies.

So many funny parts as well as gory ones too.

14 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Had never heard of this one, just read some about it on IMDb. Looks pretty interesting. Just curious, did you like The Exorcist?

Never heard of this horror movie either. Is anyone famous in it?

Was it like the Exorcist? That movie still holds up today. One of the best horror movies ever made. When they re-released I went to see it. Still scary as shit. My mom was 18 when this movie came out and she never saw it back then. she went with me and it still freaked her out. Being raised Catholic, the nuns and priests would scare the hell out of you!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Was it like the Exorcist? That movie still holds up today. One of the best horror movies ever made. When they re-released I went to see it. Still scary as shit. My mom was 18 when this movie came out and she never saw it back then. she went with me and it still freaked her out. Being raised Catholic, the nuns and priests would scare the hell out of you!

I just read about it but I didn't really recognize anyone in the movie. Yeah, the first time I watched The Exorcist I couldn't make it through all the way, but I was only about 10 or so.

23 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Its kinda like The Exorcist I suppose, a lot more understated though, not heavy on scares, good movie though, definitely worth a watch.

23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I just read about it but I didn't really recognize anyone in the movie. Yeah, the first time I watched The Exorcist I couldn't make it through all the way, but I was only about 10 or so.

When I saw it when it was re-released with added footage. It was still scary as hell. My mother was glad she waited and had not gone when she was younger. lol

We actually met Linda Blair at a Horror convention. She was so very nice.  She has a charity for animals. We thought that was awesome.

Remember in the re-release one when they kept showing that demon face? We saw that woman in a horror convention too. No one was really bothering with her and we heard her tell other people she was fed up with people who just wanted to talk and not pay for anything lol

52 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its kinda like The Exorcist I suppose, a lot more understated though, not heavy on scares, good movie though, definitely worth a watch.

I will have to check it if it ever comes on cable.

I love movies with subtitles and in their native language. It makes me so much more interesting.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

When I saw it when it was re-released with added footage. It was still scary as hell. My mother was glad she waited and had not gone when she was younger. lol

We actually met Linda Blair at a Horror convention. She was so very nice.  She has a charity for animals. We thought that was awesome.

Remember in the re-release one when they kept showing that demon face? We saw that woman in a horror convention too. No one was really bothering with her and we heard her tell other people she was fed up with people who just wanted to talk and not pay for anything lol

I love movies with subtitles and in their native language. It makes me so much more interesting.

Yeah, they’re speaking Yiddish or Hebrew through a lot of it.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, they’re speaking Yiddish or Hebrew through a lot of it.

Wow. My mom had a good friend in high school who talk Yiddish to speak with her grandparents. It's like nothing you can understand by looking at it.

I've seen a lot of movies from other countries with sub titles. 

Lately cable has had the Bruce Lee movies in Chinese or sometimes Phillippino with English subtitles. I still think Bruce's voice was dubbed in those movies. it doesn't sound like his normal voice.

Anyway, a lot of Asian movies on cable are with subtitles. I like that better than being dubbed.

10 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Wow. My mom had a good friend in high school who talk Yiddish to speak with her grandparents. It's like nothing you can understand by looking at it.

I've seen a lot of movies from other countries with sub titles. 

Lately cable has had the Bruce Lee movies in Chinese or sometimes Phillippino with English subtitles. I still think Bruce's voice was dubbed in those movies. it doesn't sound like his normal voice.

Anyway, a lot of Asian movies on cable are with subtitles. I like that better than being dubbed.

I think Bruces stuff was dubbed, from Cantonese or Madarin or the other way around, @DieselDaisy could probably tell you better.  Its considered kinda not correct but I much prefer Bruce Lee films dubbed in English, thats how I saw em growing up. Cagney was fluent in Yiddish they say, he speaks it a bit in Taxi:

Edited by Len Cnut

41 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, I had read about the demon face appearing but I didn't realize it was only in the re-release. So I was looking for it in the original and was pissed because I didn't see it. 😄

On 8/13/2020 at 3:16 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The Apparition with Ashley Greene

Hustlers with J Lo and Cardi B and the other gays. Amazing movie. Loved it.

I also loved Ready or Not. it was a different story finally that we haven't seen in other horror movies.

So many funny parts as well as gory ones too.

Yeah Ready or Not was pretty different. In the story and just the overall approach they took with it. It was a really well made movie.

It was funny as hell, I wasn't prepared for that. My man got a text from his friend, "what's going on tonight?" His reply....Nothing much just some family shit. :lol:

Edited by J Dog

Bloodshot with Vin Diesel and Guy Pearce

Think this movie might be based on a super hero or a video game. Not sure? lol But it was pretty good. 

19 hours ago, J Dog said:

Yeah Ready or Not was pretty different. In the story and just the overall approach they took with it. It was a really well made movie.

It was funny as hell, I wasn't prepared for that. My man got a text from his friend, "what's going on tonight?" His reply....Nothing much just some family shit. :lol:

I know it was different. The ending was so cool! The dad had some funny lines and so did the mom. The lead actress reminded me of Margo R but it wasn't her. She was bad ass!

That butler guy with the whole opera was nuts! 

My family plays a lot of board games so I liked the whole game thing going on.

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I think Bruces stuff was dubbed, from Cantonese or Madarin or the other way around, @DieselDaisy could probably tell you better.  Its considered kinda not correct but I much prefer Bruce Lee films dubbed in English, thats how I saw em growing up. Cagney was fluent in Yiddish they say, he speaks it a bit in Taxi:

My mom and granddad loved James Cagney. He was such a talented actor both playing a tough guy and a song and dance man. My mom just loved watching the old movies with her dad. Such good memories.

My mom and I watch a lot of the same movies together too. Memories that last a lifetime. Now my daughter likes some of the movies we do too. 

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Enter the Dragon was where Bruce shined. It was very important to him to have some of the Kung Fu teachings in this movie. Anything profound is Bruce's teachings. 

I just find it too sad that this was his last movie. Bruce never got to see stardom in the US and I think this would have made him the star he wanted to be.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:07 PM, Len Cnut said:

All Hong Kong films during that era were dubbed, i.e., filmed sans sound, and subsequently dubbed in both Mandarin, Cantonese and English (and other languages as befitting other markets such as Japan). 

On 14/08/2020 at 9:07 PM, Len Cnut said:

I think Bruces stuff was dubbed, from Cantonese or Madarin or the other way around, @DieselDaisy could probably tell you better.  Its considered kinda not correct but I much prefer Bruce Lee films dubbed in English, thats how I saw em growing up.

I think it's part of the charm of those movies. Always reminds me of the scene in Wayne's World where he's fighting with his missus' dad.

• Like 1