Jump to content

"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Was it good? The preview looked awesome! Russell Crowe at his crazy best! I do want to see it, but not in a theatre. Not sure if any are open by me anyway.

Yeah, it was pretty cool, got going quickly and didn’t stop, you should check it out when you get the chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jackie Brown   

The Departed. Always a good decision. 

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, it was pretty cool, got going quickly and didn’t stop, you should check it out when you get the chance.

The preview shows how Russell seems to go off the deep end pretty quickly and how insane he is with trying to get to that woman.  He takes road rage to the extreme.

I don't think any movie theaters are open by me, but I will probably either buy the dvd or wait for it to come on cable. I have all the premium channels, so eventually it'll be on.

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Not sure if ''spy'' is the correct word but Flight Lieutenant Lee certainly was active in intelligence circles for both the RAF, his own service, and the British Army - and then there is this chestnut,

He was also involved in some post-war denazification work on account of his language skills. 

He had an ''interesting war'' as the saying goes. Even volunteered for the Finns during The Winter War!

Wow that is way interesting.  I didn't know that about Christopher. Sounds like he was a man of many talents. Glad he survived the war and became the amazing actor he was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The preview shows how Russell seems to go off the deep end pretty quickly and how insane he is with trying to get to that woman.  He takes road rage to the extreme.

I don't think any movie theaters are open by me, but I will probably either buy the dvd or wait for it to come on cable. I have all the premium channels, so eventually it'll be on.

Wow that is way interesting.  I didn't know that about Christopher. Sounds like he was a man of many talents. Glad he survived the war and became the amazing actor he was.

His war would make a trilogy in itself, every bit as exciting as some of his films. Have a read of the section ''Military service during the Second World War'' on his wiki entry,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Lee

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The preview shows how Russell seems to go off the deep end pretty quickly and how insane he is with trying to get to that woman.  He takes road rage to the extreme.

I don't think any movie theaters are open by me, but I will probably either buy the dvd or wait for it to come on cable. I have all the premium channels, so eventually it'll be on.

Wow that is way interesting.  I didn't know that about Christopher. Sounds like he was a man of many talents. Glad he survived the war and became the amazing actor he was.

Theres a lot of war heroes in the movies

Audie Murphy recieved like every fuckin’ medal for bravery its possible to get in the US Army, quite literally.

Jimmy Stewart was an airforce brigadeer or general or something, a fighter pilot during 2nd World War

Lee Marvin won a purple heart and some sort of a presidential type medal for outstanding bravery under fire, got hit by a machine gun, a sniper, all kinds of crazy shit

Sterling Hayden recieved awards for gallantry for doing parachute missions into God knows what hostile (i think) country doing all sorts of crazy shit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming to America.

The TV show from 1989. It's absolutely shite. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Coming to America.

The TV show from 1989. It's absolutely shite. :lol: 

I heard Eddie was supposed to do a sequel. Not sure about it now. I did like this movie alot.

9 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Theres a lot of war heroes in the movies

Audie Murphy recieved like every fuckin’ medal for bravery its possible to get in the US Army, quite literally.

Jimmy Stewart was an airforce brigadeer or general or something, a fighter pilot during 2nd World War

Lee Marvin won a purple heart and some sort of a presidential type medal for outstanding bravery under fire, got hit by a machine gun, a sniper, all kinds of crazy shit

Sterling Hayden recieved awards for gallantry for doing parachute missions into God knows what hostile (i think) country doing all sorts of crazy shit.

Very cool and very good that they survived to have another career.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I heard Eddie was supposed to do a sequel. Not sure about it now. I did like this movie alot.

They finished shooting on the sequel last year. It’s due to come out this Christmas. :) 

This is the 80’s TV spin off. It’s sooooo bad. :lol: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Theres a lot of war heroes in the movies

Audie Murphy recieved like every fuckin’ medal for bravery its possible to get in the US Army, quite literally.

Jimmy Stewart was an airforce brigadeer or general or something, a fighter pilot during 2nd World War

Lee Marvin won a purple heart and some sort of a presidential type medal for outstanding bravery under fire, got hit by a machine gun, a sniper, all kinds of crazy shit

Sterling Hayden recieved awards for gallantry for doing parachute missions into God knows what hostile (i think) country doing all sorts of crazy shit.

The difference with Stewart (and to a far lesser extent Sterling Hayden who'd had a few roles before serving) to Marvin and Murphy, is that he was already a famous Hollywood star. It was almost like when Presley joined the army; Stewart insisted on being treated like everyone else, and doing his service. Marvin and Murphy were just kids who joined up, and then decided they wanted to be actors after peace.

Jimmy Stewart was in the 8th USAAF flying B-24 Liberators over German; you literally cannot envision a more precarious war than the fellas who blew bombing raids over Germany. Colonel Stewart receiving France's Croix de Guerre,

170px-Jimmy_Stewart_getting_medal.jpg

John Ford used to use Stewart's war record to take the piss out of John Wayne. ''What were you doing during the war Jimmy? And what were you doing during this time John?''

Lee Marvin. Marines. Badly wounded during the Battle of Saipan. Purple Heart.

Audie Murphy. He held off an entire company of Germans at the Colmar Pocket. He was basically a ''military star'' before he become a ''Hollywood star''. Utterly ridiculous war. Medal of Honour and every other award.

Hayden was originally a Marine but was signaled out as officer material and then joined OSS, special operations similar to Christopher Lee, and worked with the Yugoslav partisans, Tito. Parachuted into Croatia. Genuine James Bond type stuff. Also highly decorated.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And Captain Richard Todd was in the 6th Airborne Division, who on D-Day captured Pegasus Bridge, and defended it against German attacks. Todd - and this is truly incredible - would later play his own commanding officer, Major Howard, whilst recreating the attack on Pegasus Bridge for The Longest Day

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing for all of these actors.

I remember reading about Elvis joining the army when he was just starting his career. Thank goodness there was no war at that time. A rare thing for the US it seems.

I also remember my granddad talking about Audiie Murphy.  

I'm not surprise so many actors would join up during WWII. It was a time when everyone had to join together to defeat Hitler. 

Not all the things that happened during the war were right, but it was a crazy time for the whole world.

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The difference with Stewart (and to a far lesser extent Sterling Hayden who'd had a few roles before serving) to Marvin and Murphy, is that he was already a famous Hollywood star. It was almost like when Presley joined the army; Stewart insisted on being treated like everyone else, and doing his service. Marvin and Murphy were just kids who joined up, and then decided they wanted to be actors after peace.

Jimmy Stewart was in the 8th USAAF flying B-24 Liberators over German; you literally cannot envision a more precarious war than the fellas who blew bombing raids over Germany. Colonel Stewart receiving France's Croix de Guerre,

170px-Jimmy_Stewart_getting_medal.jpg

John Ford used to use Stewart's war record to take the piss out of John Wayne. ''What were you doing during the war Jimmy? And what were you doing during this time John?''

Lee Marvin. Marines. Badly wounded during the Battle of Saipan. Purple Heart.

Audie Murphy. He held off an entire company of Germans at the Colmar Pocket. He was basically a ''military star'' before he become a ''Hollywood star''. Utterly ridiculous war. Medal of Honour and every other award.

Hayden was originally a Marine but was signaled out as officer material and then joined OSS, special operations similar to Christopher Lee, and worked with the Yugoslav partisans, Tito. Parachuted into Croatia. Genuine James Bond type stuff. Also highly decorated.

From what I know Lee Marvin was always playing a bad ass in movies. Guess he learned from real life.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The difference with Stewart (and to a far lesser extent Sterling Hayden who'd had a few roles before serving) to Marvin and Murphy, is that he was already a famous Hollywood star. It was almost like when Presley joined the army; Stewart insisted on being treated like everyone else, and doing his service. Marvin and Murphy were just kids who joined up, and then decided they wanted to be actors after peace.

Jimmy Stewart was in the 8th USAAF flying B-24 Liberators over German; you literally cannot envision a more precarious war than the fellas who blew bombing raids over Germany. Colonel Stewart receiving France's Croix de Guerre,

170px-Jimmy_Stewart_getting_medal.jpg

John Ford used to use Stewart's war record to take the piss out of John Wayne. ''What were you doing during the war Jimmy? And what were you doing during this time John?''

Lee Marvin. Marines. Badly wounded during the Battle of Saipan. Purple Heart.

Audie Murphy. He held off an entire company of Germans at the Colmar Pocket. He was basically a ''military star'' before he become a ''Hollywood star''. Utterly ridiculous war. Medal of Honour and every other award.

Hayden was originally a Marine but was signaled out as officer material and then joined OSS, special operations similar to Christopher Lee, and worked with the Yugoslav partisans, Tito. Parachuted into Croatia. Genuine James Bond type stuff. Also highly decorated.

Yeah, I’ ve read all about it in their various biographies, class innit?  Jimmy Stewart remained in the army til somewhere in the 60s, he was a proper fuckin’ hero.  I think it touched him a fair bit but he near talked about it, in this documentary called Stewart vs Mitchum or some such title (its like a sociological study of type male archetypes of the American experience) his daughter touches on the issue a little.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, I’ ve read all about it in their various biographies, class innit?  Jimmy Stewart remained in the army til somewhere in the 60s, he was a proper fuckin’ hero.  I think it touched him a fair bit but he near talked about it, in this documentary called Stewart vs Mitchum or some such title (its like a sociological study of type male archetypes of the American experience) his daughter touches on the issue a little.

He wasn't in the army!

Do try and read Lenny boy.

He was in the 8th USAAF. As I said, bombing raids on German.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He wasn't in the army!

Do try and read Lenny boy.

He was in the 8th USAAF. As I said, bombing raids on German.

You know what I mean, air force, army, armed forces, same thing :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dazey said:

Coming to America.

The TV show from 1989. It's absolutely shite. :lol: 

coming to america is an absolute classic

as a bonus, it has tits and nuru massaging

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

You know what I mean, air force, army, armed forces, same thing :lol: 

you forgot those nancy boys of the navy. the whites.

that said, doesn't demi moore look stunning in the whites?

O7_COU1CKAUVHoHJS2xNHfUOYEZ6AN7DFN7oZaw2

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Some good army lads,

dm-bomber-11.jpg

He was into flying before the army, used to train out of LAX back when it was just some minor little airfield, enlisted soon as the oppertunity arose.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Love that film.

I thought it was one of the most boring things I had seen in a long time. The only scene I liked was when one of them jumped off that rock. But to be fair, I usually like these type of films, so maybe I wasn't in the right mood for something like this. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I thought it was one of the most boring things I had seen in a long time. The only scene I liked was when one of them jumped off that rock. But to be fair, I usually like these type of films, so maybe I wasn't in the right mood for something like this. 

My friend I watched it with said the exact same thing back in the day.  I loved it.  Its sort of painfully real but then almost bordering on trippy in a weird way.  Based on some true shit too, the guy killed his mate and then got found hours later, alive.

Edited by Len Cnut
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...