"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

42 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

'Split Second' (1992)

4.9/5

Man I fucking love that movie! Rutger Hauer made some wonderfully awful shit in the 80's and 90's. :lol: 

See also Blind Fury, Wanted: Dead or Alive and Wedlock.

The Astrologer. If 'The Room' and 'Threat Level Midnight' had a lovechild, it wouldn't be half as fucked up as this movie :lol:

It would almost be better to watch this with no explanation, but this article is good so I'll post some of it here:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/movies/the-astrologer/1975s-the-astrologer-is-the-greatest-cult-classic/#the-film

"The film begins by introducing us to Denney as “Craig Marcus Alexander,” who explains via voiceover that he was “born to lie, cheat and steal.” He does this by bilking people out of their money at carnival side shows as an astrologer/fortune teller, but after meeting the love of his life (played by Denney’s real-life cousin, who he repeatedly makes out with), he aims for bigger things by joining a diamond smuggling operation, which he agrees to over an idyllic picnic set in a cemetery. The film then demonstrates one of its first instant classic moments of WTF editing by smash-cutting in the middle of dialog to a prison camp in Africa, where a shirtless Alexander is held prisoner, his diamond mission apparently having gone poorly.

It’s difficult to convey just how hilariously jarring this transition is without witnessing it in a theater full of other confused souls, but The Astrologer quickly inures the viewer to those kinds of jolts. In the scenes that follow, Denney shows off his doughy physique, battles snakes, steals diamonds from an ancient temple like he’s Indiana Jones, allows a woman to sink to her death in quicksand and pawns another woman off on a sexual predator in exchange for a boat, like she’s a piece of currency. That all happens in the space of five minutes, before an extended sailing montage set to the Moody Blues’ “Tuesday Afternoon,” which goes on for months of screen time. How do we know it’s months? Because of repeated shots of a hand ripping days and months off a flip calendar, that’s how."

28 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I would've given it a perfect score but I thought the confrontation with the creature should've been longer. Beautiful lighting and well shot.

Okay thanks, I've added those to my list.

To be honest of those three, only Wedlock is so bad it’s good. Blind Fury and Wanted: Dead or Alive are genuinely great action movies. Gene Simmons plays the bad guy in the latter. :lol: 

Check out the 80’s vibe. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

Poughkeepsie_tapes_post.jpg

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)

The film is about the murders of a serial killer in Poughkeepsie, New York, told through interviews and footage from a cache of the killer's snuff films.

I remembering seeing this as a bootleg (even before it came out on VOD) but it was of bad quality, especially the killer's snuff films. But it finally got an official DVD and Blu-Ray release in 2017. Sometimes some of the acting gets a bit wooden but the plot makes up for it. Lots of twists.

3 out of 5

Bill and Ted Face the Music

It was cute.  It was more of the next generation of their daughters rather than Bill and Ted. Guess Bill and Ted are getting older and in Hollywood that means, you're done. Keanu still rocks though.

It was a good cable movie. I don't think it would have been worth paying over $10 bucks to see.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:25 PM, lame ass security said:

No doubt, she's an inspiration. 

I know. Just wish the interviews would stop asking her about Ike. It's too painful for her and it's Tina now, not Ike.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Eyes Wide Shut

4.9/5

I am a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick he is a master filmmaker. Creme de la creme. Possibly the greatest director of all time. A true genius.

The only reason it isn't a perfect rating is because sadly he died before he could do his truly final cut of the film and some no talent bastards apparently cut scenes and censored the orgy. Really disgraceful especially since it was his favourite of his films.

Saw this movie awhile ago. I wonder why Tom Cruise didn't appear naked in this movie? It seemed like everyone else was? Just curious.

A lot of Stanley's movies were very weird.

My mom loves "A clockwork orange" Malcolm McDowell told an interesting story about him and Stanley. He was very arogant in his early years. lol

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

He was a bit out there, he was literally a genius and people like that tend to be misunderstood. Then again apparently he was a real prick to Shelley Duvall so maybe he was a difficult guy. Pretty sure he was on the autism spectrum tbh.

'A Clockwork Orange' is brilliant.

Yeah, I heard about Shelley D.

Well, Malcolm got the call from him and didn't take the job right away. His manger wanted to kill him and said you don't say no to Stanley. lol Anyway, I guess it all worked out, but like I said Malcolm admitted to being very aragant back in those days, so it must have been something those two working together. Stanley did take a lot of Malcolm's suggestions regarding the character he played.

I think a lot of men directors were pricks back in the 60's and 70's. I mean look at all the things said about Hitchcock. 

On 4/7/2021 at 10:34 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Eyes Wide Shut

4.9/5

I am a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick he is a master filmmaker. Creme de la creme. Possibly the greatest director of all time. A true genius.

The only reason it isn't a perfect rating is because sadly he died before he could do his truly final cut of the film and some no talent bastards apparently cut scenes and censored the orgy. Really disgraceful especially since it was his favourite of his films.

I got in trouble for ordering this film on PPV as a kid :lol:

On 4/11/2021 at 4:28 AM, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Insomnia (2002). If there's one word I could use here it's tension! Nolan really does tension well here and evil Robin Williams is a delight. 

Saw this in the movie theater. Al Pacino was awesome too. It made me a little crazy with the constant sunlight. It was very suspenseful.

I watched:

From a Whisper to a Scream with Vincent Price.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Killer Sofa  lol Dumb movie but good for some laughs. 

Never heard of this movie. Who was in it? I love those old movies from the 30's and 40's. Watched them with my poppy. 

Clark Gable and Norma Shearer. And Lionel Barrymore (from the famous Barrymore family) received an oscar for his role in this flick.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:41 PM, EvanG said:

Clark Gable and Norma Shearer. And Lionel Barrymore (from the famous Barrymore family) received an oscar for his role in this flick.

Wow! that's cool. My mom wasn't a fan of Clark Gable, so that's probably why she never heard of it and neither have I.

She loved James Cagney. From dance man to gangster, she loved him.

1 hour ago, marlingrl03 said:

Leaving Las Vegas. Thought I had seen it but I had not!  Sad movie.

Very sad, but from what I've read the book is even more so. The author, John O'Brien, was pretty much Cage's character in the movie. He was such a talented guy but his addictions were too powerful. He commited suicide not long after learning they were making the book into a movie.