DC Movie Universe is a mess

rocknroll41

So in the last week alone, The Flash script was trashed completely in favor of "a page one rewrite" after already three directors and three screenwriters have left, AND ben affleck walks away from the director's chair of batman.

these two bombshells are only the latest in a long laundry list of issues this franchise has been having. The only three films released so far have all been met with negative reception and have all slightly undershot their expected revenue result. Also, according to reports from a few weeks ago, the two upcoming films that are currently in post-production, Wonder Woman and Justice League, are "a fucking disaster." But the biggest red flag of them all is the fact that Warnee Bros keeps changing their release schedule and list of upcoming movies seemingly every week now. It's clear they have no game plan and are just making this shit up as they go along.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Do you guys think Affleck's batman film will even still happen now that he's not directing it anymore? What about the rest of the dc film universe? Could any of those other upcoming films turn out to be a suprise hit out of nowhere and save everything? Or is it too late for that?

I'll still check them out, especially WW, I love her, and Batman, Affleck surprised me in that role. Never paid too much attention to behind the scenes production stuff. Many movies go through b.s along the way. If the movie is good I couldn't care less about the rest.

21 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I hated Batman vs Superman. Rented Suicide Squad last week and that might have been worse.

How have they fucked up so bad?

I know right? You'd think hollywood would have the superhero formula down to a tee at this point. I can't imagine these movies being THAT hard to make.

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

All I know is Marvell's, which I have watched as I have nephews who like these things, seem to trade in irreverent (modern pop culture) post-irony.

The thing about the marvel films is they all tend to lean on the formulaic/ "safe" side of story structure. As a result, some of them are bland (Thor 2 and Hulk), some still manage to be genuinely good (Captain America 2 and Guardians), and most are just pretty decent (Antman, Doctor Strange, etc). 

The DC universe films, on the other hand, seem to have hardly any story structure whatsoever. They just look prettier than the marvel films imo. Sure, it's not good to be too formulaic like some marvel films are, but there has to still be some kinda basic story structure to act as the "foundation," of sorts, for each film. 

The two rival superhero studios can really learn from eachother, actually.

oh and for the record, as much as I trash DC, there are some story elements of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman that I genuinely enjoyed. They just don't work as a whole for me.

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The thing about the marvel films is they all tend to lean on the formulaic/ "safe" side of story structure. As a result, some of them are bland (Thor 2 and Hulk), some still manage to be genuinely good (Captain America 2 and Guardians), and most are just pretty decent (Antman, Doctor Strange, etc). 

The DC universe films, on the other hand, seem to have hardly any story structure whatsoever. They just look prettier than the marvel films imo. Sure, it's not good to be too formulaic like some marvel films are, but there has to still be some kinda basic story structure to act as the "foundation," of sorts, for each film. 

The two rival superhero studios can really learn from eachother, actually.

oh and for the record, as much as I trash DC, there are some story elements of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman that I genuinely enjoyed. They just don't work as a whole for me.

Yes, the Marvel's I watched all seem to be very similar and they consequentially sort of merge together in one's mind so I personally cannot remember any of them distinctly - this happens about five minutes after the film has ended haha!

Where is Adam West in his tights when you need him?

• Like 1

I'm still interested with DC comics considering that I really want to see Shazam and Black Adam. Despite the fact that superheros movies are god awful. People need to stop watching the movies, especially those made by Disney. The only Marvel I liked were Iron Man and Guardians of The Galaxy because they don't adhere to the same formula, they felt smart, well-written blockbusters, and they had relatively strong villains.

I liked BvS, the fight scenes looked gorgeous and it is a movie I would have liked watching as a kid. I'm certainly not gonna watch Suicide Squad.

The trailer for Justice League was cringeworthy, since when bad jokes became so popular? "I hear you can talk to the fish"?????

25 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I seriously found suicide squad to be abominable 

I thought it was ok. Not great, not terrible, just alright. But if you look above this post, I loved her in that. Shit I might watch it again this weekend just for her.

Honestly Marvel seems to be doing a better job of actually building a functioning universe but it's shaky in their movies, tv shows are more appropriate for that thing and you can see how it works much better in this genre for now.

They'll improve with time. It's kinda a new thing to do in that way. I like the Daredevil/Breaking Bad girl/The Punisher shared universe idea they're planning and the first Avengers movie.

You run the risk of giving one character too much screen time when you should be maybe doing another scene or not enough screen time to flesh out the character and that's even before making characters even work in the same movie, to make sense.

• Like 1

Warner should just let DC do their thing and hire writers and directors who is into these kind of stuffs, these geeky kind of stuffs. Because these bunch of geeky people will know best what to do, they understand the stories and the characters. I guess that's what Marvel started from with the first Iron Man movie.

I'm a huge fan of MCU, by the way...

Edited by tifalucis
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I seriously found suicide squad to be abominable 

You're not Robinson Crusoe on that one man.

What a heartless, boring, unengaging piece of fucking shit that movie is...I can't say enough bad things about it.

Harley was good, and I actually quite enjoyed Leto's Joker too (being convinced I'd HATE IT) but I just wanted every other character in the movie (besides Bats) to fuck off and die ASAP.

• Like 1

I love MOS and BvS Extended, haven't watched SS yet. I don't know what to say, I liked the depressed Superman on MOS, loved the Krypton Prologue, the destruction was just like any Avengers destruction. BvS had an interesting structure and would be completely unrealistic to expect them not to fight a monster at the end. So I knew what to expect... I liked the dark and depressing tone. I don't really care about jokes on action/hero movies. They're not masterpieces, they're not serious movies, they are just superhero movies with a dark tone. I expect WW to be good and JL to be entertaining.

Affleck would have a hard time directing the movie in costume, it makes a lot of sense to be honest. WB screwed with SS but there's still hope they'll learn the lesson. All these movies still make them billions worldwide though.

3 hours ago, tifalucis said:

Warner should just let DC do their thing and hire writers and directors who is into these kind of stuffs, these geeky kind of stuffs. Because these bunch of geeky people will know best what to do, they understand the stories and the characters. I guess that's what Marvel started from with the first Iron Man movie.

I'm a huge fan of MCU, by the way...

I agree. What makes the Marvel movies kinda work is that they're made by a company called Marvel Studios, which was founded by people who are clearly fans (Disney simply "pays the bills," so to speak), whereas the top dogs at Warner Bros try to make all the creative choices themselves when they clearly don't know how. They need to create an actual DC Studios to rival Marvel's. 

I read an interview a few months back where Zack Snyder admitted that after he and the studio agreed to turn the Man of Steel sequel into a Batman vs Superman movie, they asked him "who are you bringing back from the other films?" They were referring to the Nolan films. They seriously thought Man of Steel existed in the same universe as The Dark Knight Trilogy. That's how stupid Warner Bros is. How can anyone expect a group of people who are THAT dumb to run a functioning movie universe? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DR DOOM said:

You're not Robinson Crusoe on that one man.

What a heartless, boring, unengaging piece of fucking shit that movie is...I can't say enough bad things about it.

Harley was good, and I actually quite enjoyed Leto's Joker too (being convinced I'd HATE IT) but I just wanted every other character in the movie (besides Bats) to fuck off and die ASAP.

Letos Joker made me want to snap a puppy's neck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I agree. What makes the Marvel movies kinda work is that they're made by a company called Marvel Studios, which was founded by people who are clearly fans (Disney simply "pays the bills," so to speak), whereas the top dogs at Warner Bros try to make all the creative choices themselves when they clearly don't know how. They need to create an actual DC Studios to rival Marvel's. 

I read an interview a few months back where Zack Snyder admitted that after he and the studio agreed to turn the Man of Steel sequel into a Batman vs Superman movie, they asked him "who are you bringing back from the other films?" They were referring to the Nolan films. They seriously thought Man of Steel existed in the same universe as The Dark Knight Trilogy. That's how stupid Warner Bros is. How can anyone expect a group of people who are THAT dumb to run a functioning movie universe? 

No wonder that franchise is so messed up :facepalm:

and I just remembered that Marvel Studios even makes sure that every actors and actresses involved, understand their characters. Marvel would invite them to their HQ and gives them comic books about their characters to read and even explaining about all the famous arc their characters have been written in so the actors and actresses can know exactly what would be the inside of their characters mind.

• Like 1