Ask Staff Anything!

downzy

12 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Hey @vloors, it's a temporary notice for all members lasting a few weeks. It should only appear once per day and will be removed in 8 days.

Apologies if it's felt like an inconvenience; I assure you it's for a very worthy cause that could affect your experience online. Even if you're not in the US, there are flow-on effects for the rest of us globally. I would urge all of our US membership to consider making a call to congress using the form.

Thanks for the quick response. I assumed it was a spam pop up especially since I'm not from the US.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, action said:

this is probably not possible, but it can't hurt asking, but i would most welcome an option to delete my post history in a few button clicks.

with our privacy being invaded by all sorts of social media apps, it would be great to have some sort of control over our post history.

no problem if that isnt possible though. just a suggestion.

thanks for doing a great job on this message board!

I don't know if it's possible or not with the current software, an admin would know this better. However the main reason to my mind in not having this facility is that if enough people used such a facility it potentially would ruin the flow of many threads kept as reference to GNR history.

I understand privacy concerns but if someone signs up with a throwaway email and doesn't give out any personal information I don't see why they wouldn't remain anonymous.

You can of course continue to delete individual posts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I don't know if it's possible or not with the current software, an admin would know this better. However the main reason to my mind in not having this facility is that if enough people used such a facility it potentially would ruin the flow of many threads kept as reference to GNR history.

I understand privacy concerns but if someone signs up with a throwaway email and doesn't give out any personal information I don't see why they wouldn't remain anonymous.

You can of course continue to delete individual posts.

cool. thanks for the response!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, purplestargirl said:

Hi Downzy,

The notifications button seems to be misconfigured. It shows that you have notifications but when clicking on it, it justs spins and never shows the notifications. The error itself pops up when you click the show all notifications link as well.

Me too. Mine has been like that for about a week now (so apologies to anyone who has tagged me, I wouldn't know). I had a convo with @highvoltage about it but we've not figured out the cause as yet. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Me too. Mine has been like that for about a week now (so apologies to anyone who has tagged me, I wouldn't know). I had a convo with @highvoltage about it but we've not figured out the cause as yet. Sorry.

Just curious...is this website running off an Apache web server? If so, rebooting the server itself might fix the issue. Restarting stuff is usually a fix-all for networking and tech issues. Also I'll be getting my degree in computer network operations in June and an emphasis in our program is Linux web servers. :shrugs: 

Kind of hard not to figure out websites errors and how to fix them because I spend a good chunk of my time in my classes doing just that. Lol.

7 minutes ago, purplestargirl said:

Just curious...is this website running off an Apache web server? If so, rebooting the server itself might fix the issue. Restarting stuff is usually a fix-all for networking and tech issues. Also I'll be getting my degree in computer network operations in June and an emphasis in our program is Linux web servers. :shrugs: 

Kind of hard not to figure out websites errors and how to fix them because I spend a good chunk of my time in my classes doing just that. Lol.

I have no idea but weirdly they have just this minute started working again when I got your quote notification. Maybe you are a lucky omen :lol:

HV can probably comment on your above post. I don't have that kind of knowledge.

1 minute ago, alfierose said:

I have no idea but weirdly they have just this minute started working again when I got your quote notification. Maybe you are a lucky omen :lol:

HV can probably comment on your above post. I don't have that kind of knowledge.

The function is working again. My notifications are actually displaying. :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purplestargirl said:

We do not control our own server; the hosting company we use outsources its hosting to AWS.  Unfortunately we have very little control and often these issues can't be fixed on our end.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

• Like 1

Just now, downzy said:

We do not control our own server; the hosting company we use outsources its hosting to AWS.  Unfortunately we have very little control and often these issues can't be fixed on our end.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Shit happens. The issue seemed to resolve itself today.

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Not working here though. :shrugs:

Mine's not working, if i get a notification by the little black box that pops up it works, but i still have over 20 on the little globe that will not load. Any idea how long it's gonna last @downzy

edit; just realised i tagged @downzy and he won't know :facepalm:

Edited by janrichmond

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Mine's not working, if i get a notification by the little black box that pops up it works, but i still have over 20 on the little globe that will not load. Any idea how long it's gonna last @downzy

I’ve investigated and can’t find any reason for the issue you are experiencing.  Tagging me did notify me that I had been tagged. 

Have you tried cleaning out your cache and cookies?  Another option is to try using a different browser while whatever is causing the issue works itself out. 

Apologies I can’t be more help at present. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Mine’s working again since yesterday. All of a sudden, I didn’t do anything...

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Same here. I didn't have a problem the other time.

Same

55 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Same here. I didn't have a problem the other time.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:15 AM, Lio said:

Yes,this is for neutrality in Internet

6 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I have 25, but you won't see this because you can't see i've quoted you :lol:

lol I have that other thing turned on.... the notifications on desktop, so I can see a notification if Im around the puter.

You caught me right here :P