The Best Athlethes of the history..the best moments...Pure Magic

Atrás del Mostrador

6 hours ago, PappyTron said:

No chance.

Wilt.jpg

Whoose that, Wilt Chamberlain?  See not knowing anything about basketball i cant really argue a point here, i do notice a sizeable todger attempting to push its way through his purple velvet 'loons though :lol:

Aint Jordan meant to be the dogs bollocks at basketball?  

Edited by Len Cnut

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Whoose that, Wilt Chamberlain?  See not knowing anything about basketball i cant really argue a point here, i do notice a sizeable todger attempting to push its way through his purple velvet 'loons though :lol:

Aint Jordan meant to be the dogs bollocks at basketball?  

Jordan is often rated as the greatest player of all time, yes, but no matter what measure you use to define him as the greatest there are players who measure higher. Wilt Chamberlain, on the other hand, has set records in the game that will never be matched, much less broken.

Just now, PappyTron said:

Jordan is often rated as the greatest player of all time, yes, but no matter what measure you use to define him as the greatest there are players who measure higher. Wilt Chamberlain, on the other hand, has set records in the game that will never be matched, much less broken.

Like what for instance?  Cuz no one talks about Wilt much but Jordan is like, ubiquitous.  Then again no one much talks about Harry Greb.

34 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Like what for instance?  Cuz no one talks about Wilt much but Jordan is like, ubiquitous.  Then again no one much talks about Harry Greb.

Wilt still has something like 70 all-time records in the NBA, over 40 years since his retirement. The records that he has, that will never be beaten, are things like averaging 50.4 points over an entire season, total career rebounds, rebound average, most rebounds in a game, points in a game, 30-30 games, etc. By way of example, in the history of the NBA there have been 34 games where a player has scored 50 or more points and grabbed 30 or more rebounds, and Chamberlain had 32 of those games. Michael Jordon, for example, scored 60 points or more in a game five times and Wilt did it 32 times.

8 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

Wilt still has something like 70 all-time records in the NBA, over 40 years since his retirement. The records that he has, that will never be beaten, are things like averaging 50.4 points over an entire season, total career rebounds, rebound average, most rebounds in a game, points in a game, 30-30 games, etc. By way of example, in the history of the NBA there have been 34 games where a player has scored 50 or more points and grabbed 30 or more rebounds, and Chamberlain had 32 of those games. Michael Jordon, for example, scored 60 points or more in a game five times and Wilt did it 32 times.

Fuck me!  So its sort like the difference between Audley Harrison and Tyson :lol:. Well, Floyd and Ray Robinson is probably a better analogy.

Edited by Len Cnut

17 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fuck me!  So its sort like the difference between Audley Harrison and Tyson :lol:. Well, Floyd and Ray Robinson is probably a better analogy.

Something like that.

:lol:

One of my favourite stories is that a player called Gus Johnson (about 6'7" and 240lbs) once tried to dunk on Wilt during a game and Wilt blocked the ball so hard that it dislocated Johnson's shoulder! :lol:

Here's Wilt throwing Gus off the court in another match.

:lol::lol:

EDIT - Here's the quote on the dislocated shoulder by someone who was on court and saw it:

"Gus Johnson was out on the fast break, and the only man between him and the basket was Wilt. He was going to dunk on Wilt--again. Gus cupped the ball and took off--he had a perfect angle for a slam. Wilt went up and with one hand he grabbed the ball--cleanly! Then he took the ball and shoved it right back into Gus, drilling Gus into the floor with the basketball. Gus was flattened and they carried him out. It turned out that Gus Johnson was the only player in NBA history to suffer a dislocated shoulder from a blocked shot." --Billy Cunningham "

Edited by PappyTron

46 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

I don't know if I mentioned this before or not, but I'm a season ticket holder for Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball. That's where Wilt went to college. He's an absolute legend here. He also ran track and was a legend at that as well- I believe an All-American (our highest honor for college athletes). The arena has a museum attached and Wilt is heavily represented in there, as you might imagine.

I don't know if you are aware much of his college days, but he also basically singlehandedly desegregated the town. He gave zero fucks, went in whatever restaurant he wanted, took his black friends from KC with him. Nobody had the balls to throw him out. He also banged white chicks when that was, let's say, frowned upon to say the least. But he was a gentleman about everything, and people respected him, and he literally changed the town forever. It's now known as one of the most liberal towns in the Midwest.

Wilt was one amazing dude.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2017 at 0:56 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i saw the wreck. it was devastating. everyone said oh he just hit the wall, he'll be ok. i just knew he wouldn't. the anniversary of his death is tomorrow...

A girl I worked with in the grandstand where his car stopped, she said it was terrible. I was watching it on TV and knew it was bad. :max:

17 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I don't know if I mentioned this before or not, but I'm a season ticket holder for Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball. That's where Wilt went to college. He's an absolute legend here. He also ran track and was a legend at that as well- I believe an All-American (our highest honor for college athletes). The arena has a museum attached and Wilt is heavily represented in there, as you might imagine.

I don't know if you are aware much of his college days, but he also basically singlehandedly desegregated the town. He gave zero fucks, went in whatever restaurant he wanted, took his black friends from KC with him. Nobody had the balls to throw him out. He also banged white chicks when that was, let's say, frowned upon to say the least. But he was a gentleman about everything, and people respected him, and he literally changed the town forever. It's now known as one of the most liberal towns in the Midwest.

Wilt was one amazing dude.

Funnily enough, I find Wilt's life off of the court at least equally fascinating as his life on it. He was a Big 8 level athlete and was Olympic level at the High Jump (Bill Russell's PB was actually enough for a potential Olympic medal placing). Apparently his form at both the High Jump and Triple Jump was really poor as he never practiced, but rather just turned up and did them then went home, and his coaches were desperately trying to get him to work on his technique. Then, at the other end of his life are the stories where he ran in the Honolulu Marathon when he was in his 50s, or the time when he woke up one day and decided to just drive from one side of the country and back again on a whim, or when he used to pick up Arnold Schwarzenegger "like a flea" whilst laughing. :lol:

His politics were also fascinating; he was a Conservative and big fan of Reagan and he said that he never blamed any of the owners and GMs for having quotas of black players in the early days because they were just protecting their businesses. He also designed his own sportscar and his own home. My favourite thing about Wilt though is that he said he wanted to be remembered as someone who tried to make the world a better place and who tried to bring happiness and love wherever he went. This is actually one of my favourite photos of Dippy:

wilt-chamberlain-50322675.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

@PappyTron I tip my hat sir on your Wilt knowledge. Cheers! 

Are you a big hoops fan in general? College hoops is my 2nd favorite sport after baseball.

No, not a big fan at all, to be honest. I used to play in highschool, but was only ever good at shooting which I was really good at, but all of the rest of the sport not so much. At the risk of sounding like a Hipster, I'm not a fan of the modern game and prefer the game when it was players like Wilt and Russell, up to the early days of Kareem and Bob McAdoo. Wilt is my all-time hero though, and I'm endlessly fascinated by his career and life and how modern fans of the game view him, with many dismissing him and Russell as having played against "nothing but short, nonathletic white scrubs" who wouldn't even get a game in the modern era.

• Like 1

If its true what Wilt claims about how many women he was with, he's in the big pimpin hall of fame too.

I can't dismiss Jordan. He was a champion. And he did it at a peak era in basketball. Tons of great teams and future hall of famers were in the league at the time. And so cold blooded. He hit game winning shot after game winning shot, in huge games too, playoffs, championship games, he was as clutch as it gets. Won three titles back to back to back, retired, got bored, came back and won three more titles back to back to back. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, J Dog said:

If its true what Wilt claims about how many women he was with, he's in the big pimpin hall of fame too.

I can't dismiss Jordan. He was a champion. And he did it at a peak era in basketball. Tons of great teams and future hall of famers were in the league at the time. And so cold blooded. He hit game winning shot after game winning shot, in huge games too, playoffs, championship games, he was as clutch as it gets. Won three titles back to back to back, retired, got bored, came back and won three more titles back to back to back. 

As far as strictly hoops, Jordan was the best for the reasons you say. He was unbeatable. Absolute best assassin ever.

But overall best athlete, I'm going with Bo and then Wilt because they were World Class/ Hall of Fame level at multiple sports.

I've always said Bo might be the best pure all round athlete I've ever watched.

Herschel Walker was no joke either. Absolute beast of a running back. Olympic bobsled team, won a couple of MMA fights at damn near age 50. That's impressive.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I've always said Bo might be the best pure all round athlete I've ever watched.

Herschel Walker was no joke either. Absolute beast of a running back. Olympic bobsled team, won a couple of MMA fights at damn near age 50. That's impressive.

My dad was a football scout for Univ. Of GA and we had season tickets, I remember seeing Herschel play when he was there. :lol:

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

well if either had that many women they are lucky they didn't end up in the HIV Hall of Fame! smh...

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose

Wilt Chamberlain:

Most dominant player in basketball history

Has dozens upon dozens of records that will never be broken

Strongest player in basketball history

Is in the Volleyball Hall of Fame

Was an Olympic level Highjumper

Was running marathons in his 50s whilst being over 7'1" tall and more than 300lbs

Ran a 4.6 40 yard dash in silk slacks and bare feet

Outran Jim Brown. Twice

I honestly and genuinely think that Wilt could have been an all-time great in a number of sports and some of his physical feats sound like they come from a comic book, such as being able to touch the top of the backboard, being able to dunk his FTs, lifting up Arnold Schwarzenegger or Bob Lanier effortlessly, dunking a ball so hard it broke someone's toe, shutting down Magic Johnson in an LA pickup game, despite being in his 40s, etc, etc.

• Like 1