Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators - Appreciation Thread

Ralphelmo

23 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Well this song is amazing

It must be one of those songs Mark talked about. I absolutely love it!

He says: “It’s like a John Carpenter movie – this old school synth-wave kind of vibe. Somebody might hear the record and have no idea that was intended, but for a batch of songs, I tapped into some old loops that I either created or found randomly online.

“I worked with them in the background to inspire me to go in a different direction. I loved working like that! 

We challenge ourselves to not repeat ourselves and find new inspiration to add a different layer to what we do. It’s particularly challenging when you’ve had so many records, but when I showed Myles what I was thinking he absolutely loved it and was on board right away.”

Edited by Ralphelmo

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, moreblack said:

Watching the Lolapaloza stream it dawned on me this band is almost 10 years old. Way longer than VR or any of the Snakepits.

Not only that, but I believe at this point Slash has recorded more original music with Myles than Axl. Two songs off the Slash solo album, plus all of Apocalyptic Love, World On Fire and Living The Dream. I think that surpasses the number of tracks on AFD and UYI. Since I'm only talking original music, I'm not counting TSI toward the Slash/Axl total. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/08/2019 at 6:38 PM, MidnightToker said:

Not only that, but I believe at this point Slash has recorded more original music with Myles than Axl. Two songs off the Slash solo album, plus all of Apocalyptic Love, World On Fire and Living The Dream. I think that surpasses the number of tracks on AFD and UYI. Since I'm only talking original music, I'm not counting TSI toward the Slash/Axl total. 

Wow you could be right there. And they may have another album out before GNR do. 

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/the-top-40-greatest-guitar-solos-ever

Slash has a total of four guitar solos on the list - Guns N’ Roses' ‘November Rain’ (5) ‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’ (9) and ‘Estranged’ (35) plus Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators’ ‘Anastasia’ (33). Myles and Mark Tremonti on (3) with Blackbird.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/the-top-40-greatest-guitar-solos-ever

Slash has a total of four guitar solos on the list - Guns N’ Roses' ‘November Rain’ (5) ‘Sweet Child o’ Mine’ (9) and ‘Estranged’ (35) plus Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators’ ‘Anastasia’ (33). Myles and Mark Tremonti on (3) with Blackbird.

This is just my take on it blah blah. Both of the Blackbird solos by Myles and Tremonti are great. Anastasia is pretty good but honestly I don't get what all the fuss is about.

I'm surprised it is held in such a high regard when it's like a Godfather Theme/DTJ inspired composition only not nearly as interesting. I also don't enjoy Slash going neo classical in the intro. Slash plays really fast at times and he maintains melodic fluidity throughout. Cool but not that impressive imo.

In the mean time, Safari Inn is timeless. One of the best post Guns Slash solos for sure. Beneath The Savage Sun solos are more impressive compared to Anastasia's for me. Apocalyptic Love as a whole is not my cup of tea. WOF had a lot of great ideas. Living The Dream was more concise. At least the band is always improving in some way.

Hopefully Slash will find like a cool balance between the more metalic rock and ambitious ideas of WOF and the more song oriented, classic hard rock approach and lyrical guitar playing of LTD.

Not a fan of Myles as a singer (to put it mildly) but he did a good job on some tunes and I feel like the next Conspirators album will be where everything will really come together based on what they did up until now. Very organic musical evolution so far. Excited to hear what they come up with.

21 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Anastasia has to be one of the most popular SMKC songs, probably that's why. WOF is full of better solos IMO.

There are a lot of Guns solos that are better than the solos from Anastasia. The Garden and both outros of Locomotive and Nightrain for example. Both Snakepit records have a ton of great solos on'em. But Anastasia as a whole is impressive as well and I like that they choose some more mordern songs which weren't created back then, when music was solely guitar orientated

I think Anastasia benefited from a few things.

- Being the first "epic" of Slash's solo career,

- The fact that it was a springboard for his live solo spots

- That main riff is classic Slash ala Rocket Queen and Locomotive. 

- World on Fire and Living the Dream weren't around when it came out... most of Apocolyptic Love doesn't really stand up to his more current stuff. 

• Like 1

I do love Myles in Starlight and Back from Cali also Anastasia. 

Myles is a great singer with huge rasp. Only thing that is kind of annoying is his strange voice and same song construction with weak lyrics. 

I mean on some songs Myles sing with pure clean voice and that is the best of him. 

Don't get me wrong I do love their work and productivity but sometimes it is just unbearable.

On 05/09/2019 at 4:52 AM, Ralphelmo said:

Todd singing SCOM, sounds tight (besides band:P). I'm looking for a video with Sin City Sinners (Kerns' band from Vegas) featuring Dizzy Reed where they played Pretty Tied Up. I was hoping (since then) to see SMKC playing it live but it never happened.

I love me some steel panther.

On 02/09/2019 at 4:18 PM, Amaya said:

I like MKs voice. I think SMKC sound is different from GnR, look different, different Slash , solos, and everything because it is by design by Slash.  Like VR was too. 

I agree. Alter Bridge are different too. Both Snakepits were different. That's what's so great about it. Slash has created a diverse legacy for us all to enjoy. Keep it coming 

• Like 2

On 04/09/2019 at 7:52 PM, Ralphelmo said:

Todd singing SCOM, sounds tight (besides band:P). I'm looking for a video with Sin City Sinners (Kerns' band from Vegas) featuring Dizzy Reed where they played Pretty Tied Up. I was hoping (since then) to see SMKC playing it live but it never happened.

Todd is a really good singer. I love the 'where as a child I'd hiiide' . He does a great Jungle and You're Crazy too. 

Pretty Tied Up would be nice to hear

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I can't even hate a song as dumb as Sugar Cane when the guitar is front and center. It's insane how many cool chugging riffs on the low E Slash has managed to create. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 6:32 PM, Ralphelmo said:

From official Alter Bridge channel! I'm speechless, that guitar, that voice! 

Kennedy is ridiculously underrated on this board. He’s the total package of great lyricist, singer and a fucking phenomenal guitarist. I’ll concede that the Slash stuff is not as great as his other work but Alter Bridge and his solo work are PHENOMENAL.

• 6 months later...

MYLES KENNEDY Has Written A 'Full-On MOTOWN'-Style Song For Second Solo Album

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/myles-kennedy-has-written-a-full-on-motown-style-song-for-second-solo-album/

ALTER BRIDGE frontman Myles Kennedy spoke to "Offstage With DWP" about his forthcoming second solo album. Regarding the musical direction of the the LP and how it will be different from "Year Of The Tiger", which came out in March 2018, Myles said: "We finished up a run in the States, ALTER BRIDGE did, in February. And I think at that point, I kind of saw the writing on the wall with what could happen with this pandemic and whatnot. So I was, like, 'Well, there's a chance I could be home for a while, so I'm just gonna get right to work.' That was, like, 12 weeks ago or whatever. So I've been just in here [at my home studio] working non-stop. And it's evolved.

"'Year Of The Tiger', first of all, is a very dark record, and it's very stripped down, very acoustic based," he explained. "This one has elements of that. I wanted to keep a common thread with it. There are acoustic elements. There's definitely still that element of a lot of slide guitar, a lot of lap steel, 'cause I just love how emotive both those are. But it definitely rocks a little more. There's no doubt about it — this is more of a rock record, with kind of a heavy R&B undercurrent at times as well. There's even one song — if it makes the record — which is a full-on Motown thing.

"I've got so many [songs] right now," Myles added. "[The overall direction] is really gonna depend on what makes the record. I think I learned that from David Bowie interview, where he [said he] would try and write… He'd have 40 songs to choose from [for an album], so that way you can make the best statement you can."

Myles recently that he has "pretty much" demoed the entire next solo LP and has "basically started pre-production" on the effort, which will likely arrive in 2021. 

Kennedy plans on using the "same team" that worked on "Year Of The Tiger" on the upcoming album, including producer Michael "Elvis" Baskette, engineer Jef Moll, as well as drummer Zia Uddin and bassist Tim Tournier.

Myles's tour in support of "Year Of The Tiger" featured music from the album as well as selections from Myles's work with ALTER BRIDGE, THE MAYFIELD FOUR and SLASH FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY AND THE CONSPIRATORS.

• 4 weeks later...