Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators - Appreciation Thread

Ralphelmo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New article in the local Spokane newspaper about Myles Kennedy jamming with Jimmy Page & Co. - https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/sep/10/what-is-and-what-should-never-be-the-possibility-o/

It’s cool that Myles Kennedy is part of hard rockers Alter Bridge, which has released six albums since forming in 2004. Hats off to the South Hill vocalist-guitarist for his work with iconic guitarist Slash and Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators.

But what should arguably be at the top of Kennedy’s impressive resume is the band that could be dubbed “what is and what should never be.” A dozen years ago, Kennedy met with the members of Led Zeppelin sans Robert Plant.

Word spread that Kennedy could possibly front one of the greatest bands in rock history. Kennedy, 50, was born the month after the game-changing “Led Zeppelin II,” which includes the song “What Is and What Should Never Be” and was released in 1969.

He happened to be a huge fan of the legendary band while coming of age in Spokane during the 1980s. When Kennedy was invited into the studio to jam with his childhood heroes, he was over the moon.

“I didn’t know what to expect when I went out there (to London),” Kennedy said while calling from his South Hill home where he’s working on new material. “It was an amazing opportunity to jam with those guys.

“To me, Led Zeppelin is the alpha and omega. It was surreal. I had a lot of emotion inside of me when I walked into that studio. I was trying to keep my cool. My inner 14-year-old was freaking out!”

Surreal is how Kennedy, who is currently working on a solo album, explained his experience. Kennedy looked back on the songs he jammed on with guitarist Jimmy Page and multi-instrumentalist John Paul Jones. Kennedy gushed about singing “The Rain Song,” since the gorgeous ballad is his favorite Zeppelin tune.

“I also loved doing ‘No Quarter,’ ” Kennedy said. “During the second verse of ‘The Rain Song,’ John Paul Jones plays that beautiful part on the Mellotron, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

“I got so emotional. I had to turn away after watching him play that part. They were just trying to feel out how they would roll it out so they could share their music.”

It would have been fascinating to see what would have happened if Kennedy and Zeppelin had embarked on a tour. But they are not the only act who failed to launch.

When Van Halen parted ways with vocalist and provocateur David Lee Roth after the “1984” tour, guitar hero Eddie Van Halen asked Scandal’s Patty Smyth to replace the charismatic Roth. The wife of tennis legend John McEnroe passed.

“Joining the band, to me then, ‘Oh God, they fight all the time, him (Eddie Van Halen) and his brother (Alex Van Halen), and I don’t want to get into a volatile situation,’ ” Smyth revealed to ultimateclassicrock.com. “But I regretted turning him down. For a long time, I regretted it. When you start to have regrets, I was like, ‘Oh man, I would’ve made so much money!’ ”

Smyth isn’t the only rocker living in regret. During Metallica’s salad days back in the early 1980s, James Hetfield was reluctant to sing. The band asked Armoured Saint vocalist John Bush if he would front the band. Bush opted to focus on his band.

After Metallica bassist Jason Newsted quit the band in 2001, Hetfield offered his spot to former Ramones bassist C.J. Ramone. However, Ramone opted to focus on his autistic son.

UFO guitarist Michael Schenker says the Rolling Stones wanted him to replace Mick Taylor in 1974, but he turned down Stones legends Mick Jagger and Keith Richards due to their reputations.

So many possibilities that never were a reality, but Kennedy and Led Zeppelin would have been a hot ticket. Fans still clamor and will always hope for some sort of Zeppelin project.

However, it’ll be a heartbreaker of sorts for those waiting around since the best chance for a comeback was with Kennedy a dozen years ago.

i know its slashs thing to use typical happy blues/classic rock tropes, but I really hope he cooks something up in the vein of Nothing To Say or Good to Be Alive (chromatic progressions/riffs).

i know its too much to expect from an SMKC album, but I hope he does the least Slash-type things, songwriting wise

• Like 1

@MidnightToker

AFAIK Jimmy and Jason (or just Jason) attended at the Gov't Mule gig where Myles Kennedy sang two Led Zep songs back in 2008.

No Quarter was really good, even though MK was unprepared and he had some not really great moments in this, there was a part which blown away everybody:

https://youtu.be/L-apy1l5ttY?t=539

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralphelmo said:

@MidnightToker

AFAIK Jimmy and Jason (or just Jason) attended at the Gov't Mule gig where Myles Kennedy sang two Led Zep songs back in 2008.

No Quarter was really good, even though MK was unprepared and he had some not really great moments in this, there was a part which blown away everybody:

https://youtu.be/L-apy1l5ttY?t=539

Interesting, I didn't know that. From what I understand, Myles and Jason met on the set of the 2001 movie "Rockstar." Jason played the drummer of the band, obviously, and Myles played this guy at the end who replaced Mark Wahlberg's character as lead singer: 

Edited by MidnightToker

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Too bad Jimmy and John didn't do a tour in 08. One of the biggest missed opportunities in a long time. Even without Plant, it would have been great to see (and no, they wouldn't have toured as "Led Zeppelin")

Yeah with or without the Zeppelin name it would have pulled in a lot of people! It's a shame that they pulled the plug on it! And it's much, much too late to do it now! ...outside of Jimmy just releasing a solo album with no intention of touring it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Least to say it has VR vibe ;D 

And Jessica, lol:

The album is great so far, just listened to it there. The solos are excellent, catchy songs. Besides World on fire this is the best I've heard from Myles! Hopefully ABs members get back with Creed and leave Myles to do his solo and Slash stuff. God damn he's a very talented guitar player! guitar player of the year!

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I tried again with Myles' new album. It just does nothing for me, again. His voice, his style, his writing...it's all really well made and of high quality. But it's all so slick and boring. No edge at all. 

I got through 6 of the tracks. (Not a good sign, I turned it off twice to attend to more important things, like feeding my cat and editing my videos)

With the exception of the title track, the others seem...meh. I think the title track is amazing though.

Gotta finish listening to the whole thing though. 

I read the booklet, I was surprised to see Slash thanked, but it didn't say he played guitar on it. I thought he played on some of it.

16 hours ago, Anguyen92 said:

^^ Myles always thanks to the guys in Slash and the Conspirators and the guys in Alter Bridge in the solo albums.  This is a full on Myles solo album, meaning all the guitars on it is played by him.

Good to know, thank you!