GNR Women's Discussion - Part 2

alfierose

1 minute ago, Tori72 said:

Thank you! Fantastic, they were so in sync and on point. Also the whole vibe, the size of the venue, bassist barefoot and those „Go Go“ dancers rocking out, being dudes and wearing slacky clothes. I cannot not thing of Axl’s and Izzy’s stripper friends dancing in bikinis/underwear ... Do you think Nirvana were thinking about that? Maybe they were already taking the piss of GnR?

Hahaha, yeah the male dancers and their t-shirts ARE THE SHIT!!! :headbang:

Hmm, not sure this was a dig at GN'R. I think this is who Nirvana genuinely were and that's the very same reason why Kurt didn't like Axl and didn't want to meet him and Axl could not understand any of this because he was clueless.

Looking back in restrospect, I guess not many people understood what was going on or what it was Nirvana's message. Some people just thought they were doing these things to provoke, that it was an acting. Watching it again makes me see stuff I had not taken into consideration before. Back then, I liked Nirvana, I bought their "Nevermind" and I was listening to GN'R as well.... though I was kid too so I was not much aware of certain things, feminism, sexism, but I did like these aesthetics more than GN'R.

For a whole year (from 1993-1994) I dressed like Kurt, had a haircut like that and wore Nirvana t-shirt. Kids from my school thought I was crazy and dirty. Those kids were uptight and did not listen to rock or grunge or nothing of the sort. However, I was one with good grades and while I was not "popular", I was not bullied either. LOL.

I'm really happy with the Kurt Cobain celebration going on in here. It's amazing how music stays forever. And that was a great vid @killuridols, they do have great live performances!!

The 92' VMA's is one of the best-known, but I think it really captures Nirvana as a band, the message they were passing with their music and lately Kurt's persona. When I compare both GNR and Nirvana's performances on the same show, I can't help thinking how Guns performance looks so forced and polished, it makes you think what the hell happened to that band, it's  a totally different aura from GNR at Ritz for example. While Nirvana sounds fresh, dangerous, authentic.  

I could speak about the 'Rape Me' tease, the 'HI-AXL' or the Novoselic bass incident but just think about when some people from the crowd starts jumping on stage and do crowd surfing while the band doesn't give a fuck. Can you imagine if this was at a GNR performance? Axl would loose his shit :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I'm really happy with the Kurt Cobain celebration going on in here. It's amazing how music stays forever. And that was a great vid @killuridols, they do have great live performances!!

I came across this show a couple years ago on YouTube and I have saved it ever since. Never thought I'd share it in this forum! :lol:

7 minutes ago, dgnr said:

When I compare both GNR and Nirvana's performances on the same show, I can't help thinking how Guns performance looks so forced and polished, it makes you think what the hell happened to that band, it's  a totally different aura from GNR at Ritz for example. While Nirvana sounds fresh, dangerous, authentic.

To be honest, even in 1992 I was disappointed to see that they were going to perform 'November Rain' for the VMA's and when I saw Elton John pretending to play the piano, looooool, omg, it was a big WTF for me :facepalm:

As the energetic and vibrant kid I was :awesomeface:, I was hoping to see Axl in all his glory, running around the stage and growling like a madman. Why did they pick that song to play just baffles me :shrugs:

You can even think of the previous VMA'S where GN'R killed it with 'Welcome to the Jungle' and now they were doing this whole orchestra stuff that was so boring!

11 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I could speak about the 'Rape Me' tease, the 'HI-AXL' or the Novoselic bass incident but just think about when some people from the crowd starts jumping on stage and do crowd surfing while the band doesn't give a fuck. Can you imagine if this was at a GNR performance? Axl would loose his shit :rolleyes:

:lol:

I guess Axl was completely paranoid by 1992, because if we keep comparing stuff, just look at the "It's So Easy" unreleased live video that was recently released..... doesn't it have kind of the same vibe as the Nirvana show? Yeah, forget about those lame Axl scenes with the women inside the car and the Erin bondage, but the rest of the video also shares the same raw vibe than these Nirvana performances.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I guess Axl was completely paranoid by 1992, because if we keep comparing stuff, just look at the "It's So Easy" unreleased live video that was recently released..... doesn't it have kind of the same vibe as the Nirvana show? Yeah, forget about those lame Axl scenes with the women inside the car and the Erin bondage, but the rest of the video also shares the same raw vibe than these Nirvana performances.

Absolutely! Why did they give up on that vibe? How did Slash and Duff not mind? Why did they leave the Rock’n’Roll to others when they started out as they did? I will never understand. Axl wanted something that was more pop than anything and they gave it al up. Meh 

56 minutes ago, dgnr said:

I'm really happy with the Kurt Cobain celebration going on in here. It's amazing how music stays forever.

Yes! :headbang::hug:

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

Absolutely! Why did they give up on that vibe? How did Slash and Duff not mind? Why did they leave the Rock’n’Roll to others when they started out as they did? I will never understand. Axl wanted something that was more pop than anything and they gave it al up. Meh 

Because they got really big and clubs or small size venues couldn't hold their fans anymore. I guess Izzy was the one who was closer to Kurt's approach of the band but Axl wanted to be grandiose, so... conflict of interests.

Not sure Axl wanted something more pop. He wanted something different, he wanted to evolve musically speaking but I guess the problem was that he had not evolved as a person, so there he was stuck, looking up to Kurt and Trent, but he didn't realize those guys were on a different page.

IMO, part of what kept Axl stuck was getting involved with those crazy shits like Yoda, spiritism, regression therapy, etc. That stuff kept him out of touch with reality.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Padme said:

In the begining Axl was the frontman and lead singer. All of them were the driving force. All of them were behind their sound, lyrics and loud music. Izzy didn't diminish. He just left when he couldn't take it anymore. Only Adler diminished. 

It is not a matter of normal singer. We will never know what could have been without Axl in the early days. But for sure we know what happened to GN'R when Izzy, Slash and Duff left. 

Like... you cannot argue the crucial importance of Bonzo and Jonesy for Zeppelin sound, but still, Page is the mastermind behind. 

Izzy as a leading force in the band was diminishing for long before he definitely left - look at the way he contributed on Illusion... If you read how they composed songs, it was usually they were throwing out noodles until Axl caught something worthy and eventually polished it into the song... or he made them to play the idea until it gave proper feeling (Appetite) Izzy and Duff eventually with Adler constructed the backbone of the song, Slash added lead guitar and Axl made it to a whole song. This continued for other albums, but also the band members were becoming more and more estranged, not making it together but rather separately. There are different stories and points of view about that...

No one of them made shiny solo - or as a contributor - career comparable to their original band after the breakup. How many times Slash wished for normal, hard working band like Metallica, instead of dealing with idiosyncrasies of crazy lead singer... It's a package deal, Axl differed them from the pack on Sunset strip and what he actually did is unique, yet he can be major pain in the ass (but maybe he behaves now :awesomeface:). 

19 hours ago, vikute91 said:

Now to the Courtney/Axl altercation at the VMAs. It's not like he came to insult her out of the blue. According to witnesses, the tone in which she spoke to him was clearly meant to taunt and mock him. The role of a conflict instigator shouldn't be downplayed. If you want to be treated like a decent person - act like one.

:)

Courtney has reputation which makes Yoko Ono nice lady. For me she's plain vulgar and as far as I know, apart from Kurt, nobody liked her presence. In the story... Axl literally didn't want to smash her mouth so he asked Kurt to shut her up as far as she didn't understand that she crossed the line (you are really not obligate to bear extensive amount of sh*t), so he asked Kurt to do something so she won't continue... Is there Axl's part of the story or here we go again, bad, bad Axl? :popcorn:

19 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really never beleived axl did hard drugs. Pot yes, heroin and cocaine no. Cocaine he didnt do because it screwed up his throat.

I had some vague information about GNR back then... I didn't care much until I got more interested. Last year when I took some extra shifts to get money for tickets, I was like I was here because I was gonna see Guns'n'Roses and colleagues were like: "Axl Rose? That fat junkie?" Me: "Say it once more and you lie on the ground with tube down your throat." I honestly didn't have much of an opinion before, it's something you have to dive into to get it and I found it interesting. Axl's "not using cocaine because of throat" is alike Kurt excusing his heroin habit by stomach ache. Both are rooted somewhere else. Axl has this unusual perception based on overall feeling and being conscious, which is easily compromised by substances, so one thing is to get high in safe, controlled environment (with psychedelics) and other thing is to be in a state when you need the substance for your daily functioning. 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, killuridols said:

IMO, part of what kept Axl stuck was getting involved with those crazy shits like Yoda, spiritism, regression therapy, etc. That stuff kept him out of touch with reality.

Absolutely, that was a huge speed bump for him.

21 hours ago, Alja said:

I had some vague information about GNR back then... I didn't care much until I got more interested. Last year when I took some extra shifts to get money for tickets, I was like I was here because I was gonna see Guns'n'Roses and colleagues were like: "Axl Rose? That fat junkie?" Me: "Say it once more and you lie on the ground with tube down your throat." I honestly didn't have much of an opinion before, it's something you have to dive into to get it and I found it interesting. Axl's "not using cocaine because of throat" is alike Kurt excusing his heroin habit by stomach ache. Both are rooted somewhere else. Axl has this unusual perception based on overall feeling and being conscious, which is easily compromised by substances, so one thing is to get high in safe, controlled environment (with psychedelics) and other thing is to be in a state when you need the substance for your daily functioning. 

I think he used a little bit here and there, but he didn't become addicted like the others and he kept it quiet, out of the public knowledge. 

6 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I think he used a little bit here and there, but he didn't become addicted like the others and he kept it quiet, out of the public knowledge. 

Axl seems to not have been a heavy user in the past but his emotional state was as fragile as that of an addicted person.

There are accounts of Axl holding a gun and wanting to kill himself in the mid 90s, while Beta was desperately calling people to help her with the situation.

Had not been for Beta, we wouldn't have Axl with us today either. So, it's not only drugs that take you to the extreme. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

This is what I got, actually, you go through all that drug prevention programs as a student (some extra if you get leadership courses for working with kids) and they all tell you that once you try heroin you are lost. You believe it until you meet unfitting pegs, people who didn't fail into addiction despite high accessibility of drugs and even doing them occasionally, people who tell you that heroin is either bullshit or it frightened them... That drugs and people couple, they pick them really like actual medication, and, first, they use it alike. Axl talked drugs by the beginning of nineties his opinions are unorthodox, ain't no "Kids don't try it" but rather "stay safe and don't build up an addiction, problems float on heroin anyway". I went through that interviews, because he described it well, like... he rather used drugs, mostly psychedelics, for "research", "artistic" purposes. Maybe he gets privately high on shrooms or whatever fits him until now.

Thing is that Axl, apart from suicidal attempts (pills, searching for dope to OD until he found friends and they had Christmas together in early nineties), didn't feel the urge to escape his head, that's why people use drugs, even weed, if excessively. And yes, it's even more interesting if you take in count how massive psychological problems he faced. Many of those alike tried to drown their issues in drugs. Sometimes, when you just aren't neruotypical, people assume that you have to be on some kind of drugs, when it's just how you are and you cannot go normie just because someone asks for it. It's also hard to find the way when you are different, then usual ways just doesn't work. Again, I cannot explain this rationally, but the moment I saw actual Axl Rose two-three meters near I somehow got why he got stuck with New Age. Sometimes people take a path just to find out that it doesn't work as a whole, but they keep findings from that route anyway through their life. If Axl believes in soul-traveling, reincarnation and stuff, it also might have been a thing which kept him from pulling the trigger. If you believe that you will be born again and again until your issues will be solved, suicide really doesn't make sense. Although you are having self-doubts in extent you can't see your existence as worthy.  

14 hours ago, Ivana979 said:

Does Axl have any hobby? 

I have alwsys wondered this. Hes never been snapped jogging along malibu beach or out for a walk anywhere or shopping on rodeo drive or seeing bands along the strip o rr been caught at a restaurant......it makes me wonder what a day in the life of is for axl.

41 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Axl?

How, where do you derive that from? Or where did you read it?

Yes i remember reading that as well i thought it was between  09 and 2013 when he had after show parties and had alot of what looked to be female european "fans".

Edited by Sydney Fan

15 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I have alwsys wondered this. Hes never been snapped jogging along malibu beach or out for a walk anywhere or shopping on rodeo drive or seeing bands along the strip o rr been caught at a restaurant......it makes me wonder what a day in the life of is for axl.

Yes he has. He’s been snapped doing all of those things :lol:

33 minutes ago, Ratam said:

He have cars collection too.

It's interesting, because mostly Axl is a passenger (what we see). I don't remember when someone saw him behind wheel  driving by himself.

Edited by Politania

54 minutes ago, soon said:

He collects art, antiques and catholic iconography. Or he used to at least.

I dont know if keeping a small zoo counts as a hobby?

He also used to be a lot into photography in the Illusions era, he carried a camera with him everywhere. He said that he also used to paint a little bit.

I don't know if he's into any of those things anymore.

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

He also used to be a lot into photography in the Illusions era, he carried a camera with him everywhere. He said that he also used to paint a little bit.

I don't know if he's into any of those things anymore.

I didnt know about Axls photography, would be incredible to see some of his work.

The Illusions era reminds me that he also enjoyed target practice using firearms during that period.

• Like 1