RATE: Don't Cry - Foxboro, MA - July 20, 2016

On 2/24/2017 at 7:22 PM, IncitingChaos said:

that was good this was better 

Yeah that was great. I'd give this a 9 or 10 for this era.. You're not got going to get a better version of Don't Cry these days. Fortus even laid off the whammy bar he usually does the first few verses. Bravo

Edited by Tom-Ass

12 minutes ago, default_ said:

There use to be a video on youtube comparing Axl singing Dont Cry in 2010 and in the 80s. Turns out the audio from the 80s was actually from 2010, he was killing it. 

Yea he could hit notes like at 2:45 and ending here that were up there with the 90's version 

Obviously we are comparing vocals here not the music, in 2010 Don't Cry was like improv for Axl  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah that was great. I'd give this a 9 or 10 for this era.. You're not got going to get a better version of Don't Cry these days. Fortus even laid of the whammy bar he usually does the first few verses. Bravo

It was like they said, "let's see how good we can be in Houston and then we can go back to cruise control" 

21 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yeah that was great. I'd give this a 9 or 10 for this era.. You're not got going to get a better version of Don't Cry these days. Fortus even laid of the whammy bar he usually does the first few verses. Bravo

Cosign. Definitely the better version of DC. 

I think that one gibbos just recorded on 4k ( one of the australian shows) can easyly compete with this.    I think it sounded wonderfull.  ( i really enjoy those melissa-duff chorus at the outro along with axls singing. With earphones its chilling)

This will be a pretty unpopular opinion but I actually enjoy the 2007-2010 Dont Cry's better than the current line up. Sure, nothing beats Slash's and Duff's authenticity but Bumblefoot made this song special- connecting to the fans with his soothing instrumental intro. Plus, the tempo was better back then, all the 2016/2017 videos are ruined for me because it's speedy.

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

This will be a pretty unpopular opinion but I actually enjoy the 2007-2010 Dont Cry's better than the current line up. Sure, nothing beats Slash's and Duff's authenticity but Bumblefoot made this song special- connecting to the fans with his soothing instrumental intro. Plus, the tempo was better back then, all the 2016/2017 videos are ruined for me because it's speedy.

I'm totally with you, the way it was played from 2007-2014 is hands down my favorite arrangement of Don't Cry there is. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Some vocal expert said the reason a band speeds up tempo is likely so the singer won't have to carry the note as long, they can jump straight into the next line without straining any vocals and maintain breathing properly.  

Im guessing it was a conscious decision like this that will allow Axl to stay fresh on a tour this massive. 

Im sure he could do the notes just fine but going almost 2 years of hitting these notes it gets too risky I guess, especially with Axl fronting two bands. 

I agree it compromises the sound quite a bit especially on a song like this 

15 minutes ago, Słash said:

I had hoped for Don't Cry to play at the night I went, but sadly it wasn't. 

It is my fav. song, It should be permanent in the setlist. 

Most of us agree with that sentiment! I also did not get to hear it at my show in SF, and am hoping they play it in San Antonio. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Słash said:

I had hoped for Don't Cry to play at the night I went, but sadly it wasn't. 

It is my fav. song, It should be permanent in the setlist. 

How can you complain when they play the Seeker EVERY SINGLE FUCKING NIGHT....I mean it's the Seeker, god damnit :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

How can you complain when they play the Seeker EVERY SINGLE FUCKING NIGHT....I mean it's the Seeker, god damnit :)

Ha! For me I actually like the Seeker and I like Dont Cry...so I want both songs in the encore damn it! Patience too. I want it all. :D

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm totally with you, the way it was played from 2007-2014 is hands down my favorite arrangement of Don't Cry there is. 

Glad someone agrees with me on this :) 

5 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Some vocal expert said the reason a band speeds up tempo is likely so the singer won't have to carry the note as long, they can jump straight into the next line without straining any vocals and maintain breathing properly.  

Im guessing it was a conscious decision like this that will allow Axl to stay fresh on a tour this massive. 

Im sure he could do the notes just fine but going almost 2 years of hitting these notes it gets too risky I guess, especially with Axl fronting two bands. 

I agree it compromises the sound quite a bit especially on a song like this 

And for songs like OTGM, Jungle, Nightrain I don't really mind that but the faster tempo really ruins songs like Dont Cry and Patience for me. The songs weren't written with that in mind and kills the vibe for me.