Can Axl Sing Slither?

3 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Bullshit.

Axl issued an statement where he claimed Slash called Weiland "a fraud". That was the shot that made Scott reply back with all those hilarious comments about Axl's looks.

True but,

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

he claimed Slash called Weiland "a fraud".

So Axl was saying what Slash (supposedly) said. He never expressed his opinion on Weiland as far as I know.

6 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

True but,

So Axl was saying what Slash (supposedly) said. He never expressed his opinion on Weiland as far as I know.

We don't know if those Slash words are true or made up by Axl. Either way, it was never his place to get involved in another band's problems so by dragging Scott in, he asked for what he got in return.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

We don't know if those Slash words are true or made up by Axl. Either way, it was never his place to get involved in another band's problems so by dragging Scott in, he asked for what he got in return.

I think it's clear that Axl was targeting Slash and not Weiland, Sorum or Duff.

I would say that it was neither Weiland's place to get involved in the Axl-Slash feud.

5 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I think it's clear that Axl was targeting Slash and not Weiland, Sorum or Duff.

I would say that it was neither Weiland's place to get involved in the Axl-Slash feud.

If he wanted to target Slash, he could have said a lot of things without mentioning the rest of band.

But he added that paragraph as some sort of "gossip". It didn't really add anything but provocation.

Weiland could have not responded to that but it was his right to respond because he was dragged in by Axl's statement.

Had Axl not mentioned his name at all, there would have been no room for Weiland to step in.

That's what you get when you open a can of worms.

• Like 1

Just now, killuridols said:

If he wanted to target Slash, he could have said a lot of things without mentioning the rest of band.

But he added that paragraph as some sort of "gossip". It didn't really add anything but provocation.

Weiland could have not responded to that but it was his right to respond because he was dragged in by Axl's statement.

Had Axl not mentioned his name at all, there would have been no room for Weiland to step in.

That's what you get when you open a can of worms.

OK. My initial point was that I don't think that Axl had anything personal against Weiland. And Weiland went overboard with his response. It was a really big can of worms. 

4 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

OK. My initial point was that I don't think that Axl had anything personal against Weiland. And Weiland went overboard with his response. It was a really big can of worms. 

I don't know about that....

Axl is very jealous and maybe he thought "things" of Scott. But that we'll never know...

Scott went overboard with his response because probably Slash told him he never said that and that Axl made it up, so he must have believed Slash.

1 minute ago, killuridols said:

I don't know about that....

Axl is very jealous and maybe he thought "things" of Scott. But that we'll never know...

Scott went overboard with his response because probably Slash told him he never said that and that Axl made it up, so he must have believed Slash.

This and also the fact that the VR guys believed that Slash was going to rejoin GN'R at that point.

Well, the good thing is that Axl and Weiland nearly became friends later when Scott finally was able to understand Axl. :lol:

Everyone has made Axl out to be this horrendously crazy person, this bad guy, and I don't know him very well at all. He and I for whatever reason got almost tricked into this little media spat for a moment because one of our band members happened to run into him and said that he said something. So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault.

• Like 1

Can he sing it? absolutely, I'd say he'd kill that section that follows the guitar solo. Would it go over at a GNR concert? yes, I think the crowd would enjoy it. Do I want to see them perform it? not really. there are a TON of GNR songs that they are yet to play that I'd much prefer to be played ahead of Slither or any other non GnR band that Slash or Duff were in during their lengthy absence from Guns duty.

3 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

This and also the fact that the VR guys believed that Slash was going to rejoin GN'R at that point.

Well, the good thing is that Axl and Weiland nearly became friends later when Scott finally was able to understand Axl. :lol:

Everyone has made Axl out to be this horrendously crazy person, this bad guy, and I don't know him very well at all. He and I for whatever reason got almost tricked into this little media spat for a moment because one of our band members happened to run into him and said that he said something. So, my point being that having been in a band with Velvet Revolver now for five and a half years, I'm not quite so sure that it was all Axl's fault.

Hah.

Not everything was Axl's fault, of course, but as he said himself, it was a power struggle so.... no one is to blame, really. It's just people fighting over control and that field is always nasty.

Axl made moves to keep the name of the band to himself and the others wanted to defend their piece of the cake. I can't blame them. Their most popular and profitable work as musicians was in Guns N' Roses. I wouldn't let it go so easily if I was in their place.

The sad outcome is that, aside from Velvet Revolver, neither Axl or Slash & Duff could replicate the initial success of GN'R.

This power struggle gave both a lesson, I guess. But in my opinion, Axl lost more than the others.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hah.

Not everything was Axl's fault, of course, but as he said himself, it was a power struggle so.... no one is to blame, really. It's just people fighting over control and that field is always nasty.

Axl made moves to keep the name of the band to himself and the others wanted to defend their piece of the cake. I can't blame them. Their most popular and profitable work as musicians was in Guns N' Roses. I wouldn't let it go so easily if I was in their place.

The sad outcome is that, aside from Velvet Revolver, neither Axl or Slash & Duff could replicate the initial success of GN'R.

This power struggle gave both a lesson, I guess. But in my opinion, Axl lost more than the others.

The sad truth is even if GnR had continued on in 1996 with Slash and co, they had already peaked commercially. They may have released some more good / great records but the tide was shifting and I don't think it would have been as favourable towards Guns. 

Also, I bet if you asked Axl he'd probably consider this reunion a win; Slash and Duff are now his employees, not equal members. That's what he wanted in 1996 and now he's got it.

Edited by Tom2112

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The sad truth is even if GnR had continued on in 1996 with Slash and co, they had already peaked commercially. They may have released some more good / great records but the tide was shifting and I don't think it would have been as favourable towards Guns. 

Also, I bet if you asked Axl he'd probably consider this reunion a win; Slash and Duff are now his employees, not equal members. That's what he wanted in 1996 and now he's got it.

We don't know that.

I mean.... maybe they would have never made another AFD or UYI but if you keep making music and releasing it, with all that talent involved, something good has to come out, every 5 years or so.

Stay relevant, at least. Produce. Create. Move your ass and do something instead of scratching your balls.

But that's not how Axl operates so whatever.

Probably he considers this reunion a win in the terms you mention but he's fucking delusional. Unless he gets Slash and Duff to write songs with him again and release some new music, this tour will come to an end and his little fantasy too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, killuridols said:

We don't know that.

I mean.... maybe they would have never made another AFD or UYI but if you keep making music and releasing it, with all that talent involved, something good has to come out, every 5 years or so.

Stay relevant, at least. Produce. Create. Move your ass and do something instead of scratching your balls.

But that's not how Axl operates so whatever.

Probably he considers this reunion a win in the terms you mention but he's fucking delusional. Unless he gets Slash and Duff to write songs with him again and release some new music, this tour will come to an end and his little fantasy too.

Think you misunderstood me, Of course we don't know it for sure, but realistically where did they have to go after UYI commercially? creatively they may have created some brilliant music, but I just don't think any band can sustain that level of mania even if they follow up with great music, eventually the air comes out of he balloon. Maybe though, it's just one opinion.

Edited by Tom2112

24 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Think you misunderstood me, Of course we don't know it for sure, but realistically where did they have to go after UYI commercially? creatively they may have created some brilliant music, but I just don't think any band can sustain that level of mania even if they follow up with great music, eventually the air comes out of he balloon. Maybe though, it's just one opinion.

I think they could have had another commercial success if they had released something of their own instead of TSI or some other album before the year 2000.

After that year, I dont know... music changed.

But then you have Velvet Revolver.... not to the the GN'R levels but they did something...... so, its hard to say.

12 hours ago, killuridols said:

Bullshit.

Axl issued an statement where he claimed Slash called Weiland "a fraud". That was the shot that made Scott reply back with all those hilarious comments about Axl's looks.

Slash called him a fraud? 

Maybe Axl was never going to sing Slither, it could have been intended as a Duff song - although I'm not sure Duff vocals would work.

Whilst it would be interesting to hear Axl sing it I'm not sure VR songs should be in a GNR concert. I get there is some slight hypocrisy in that seeing as CD was made without Slash and Duff but I think there are some occasions when lead singer privilege counts for something.

Perhaps they liked the idea initially, as a tribute to Scott and acknowledgment of VR, but when it came to the shows it just didn't sit right.

• Like 1

Everybody just kind of assumes that they don't do VR songs because Axl doesn't want to, but it's worth noting that Slash played lot's of GnR with the conspirators, and little to no VR.  For all we know Axl may be open to it and Slash and Duff are like  "meh."   Maybe there is a legal issue we are unaware of?  It seems strange that Slash wouldn't like any of the material from the 2 VR albums enough to play it live. 

I know someone will say "But Miles couldn't pull it off."  Miles couldn't pull off Mary had a little lamb, but it didn't stop them from using a heavy GnR rotation.  If you ever need to throw up because you know you drank too much, just play "Made in Stoke."  It will set you right.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wasted said:

Slash called him a fraud? 

Axl says that. Or Beta.

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

Maybe Axl was never going to sing Slither, it could have been intended as a Duff song - although I'm not sure Duff vocals would work.

Perhaps they liked the idea initially, as a tribute to Scott and acknowledgment of VR, but when it came to the shows it just didn't sit right.

But it was in those setlists so I think it's been talked with Axl, at the least. :shrugs:

BTW, have new setlists pictures surfaced for this leg of the tour? or Japan?

I dont remember seeing pics of setlists like we used to have in the NA or SA leg.

If those were around we could check if 'Slither' is still an alt. song.