NITL media silence promoting attention on nuGNR?

It seems to me that there is a general consensus here on the forum that there is some form of contractual agreement for NITL participants to not speak with media about GNR business.  Adler seems to have spoken directly to it on Mitch Lafons podcast. 

A lot of new interviews with former members are getting plenty of attention from us hungry fans.  And we are sometimes finding ourselves looking back to that era.  Maybe just because theres media to consume, even if its been discussed before.  Plus the regrouping probably brought a lot of fans back, so they are learning about the Chi Dem era for the first time.  With so little to discuss of NITL GNR theres even more time to check out the previous era?

I personally like the CD era as well as classic era(s).  Happy enough about NITL and thrilled I saw it.  So, basically I like it all.  But I would find it so ironic if the current bands silence is promoting nuGNR and its individual members careers, when Axl fought so hard against promoting classic GNR or its members during the nuGNR era.

This is my first time starting topic, sorry if its been discussed or if this post in unclear, short sighted or what ever else! :lol:

What do people think?

Edited by soon
defining my fandom
  • Like 1

There are a lot of Casual fans who go to the shows and they were not interested in Axl's solo band, they were interested songs by GNR from AFD and UYI

Even now when the CD songs are played 95% of the people don't know about them and its usually a piss break. 

And as for the members in Axl's solo band, I feel bad for them, they worked very hard and recorded a lot of songs and they can't even use them cause Axl has a right over them. 

35 minutes ago, soon said:

It seems to me that there is a general consensus here on the forum that there is some form of contractual agreement for NITL participants to not speak with media about GNR business.  Adler seems to have spoken directly to it on Mitch Lafons podcast. 

A lot of new interviews with former members are getting plenty of attention from us hungry fans.  And we are sometimes finding ourselves looking back to that era.  Maybe just because theres media to consume, even if its been discussed before.  Plus the regrouping probably brought a lot of fans back, so they are learning about the Chi Dem era for the first time.  With so little to discuss of NITL GNR theres even more time to check out the previous era?

I would find it so ironic if the current bands silence is promoting nuGNR and its individual members careers, when Axl fought so hard against promoting classic GNR or its members during the nuGNR era.

This is my first time starting topic, sorry if its been discussed or if this post in unclear, short sighted or what ever else! :lol:

What do people think?

i agree i think your assessment makes 100% sense hopefully the 5 can all talk on camera together at some point or not at least just play 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

People are starting to realise this is a cashgrabbing nostalgia act and there's nothing behind it. Stale setlists, no camaraderie, no new album, no new songs, nothing.

So people are naturally coming back to the previous lineups since there are tons of material left in the vault.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i agree i think your assessment makes 100% sense hopefully the 5 can all talk on camera together at some point or not at least just play 

Id take anything too!  Especially a good interview with the band.

28 minutes ago, auad said:

In first place...

What media can talk about? This is just a nostalgia act

Im sad that I have to agree that your point seems fair enough.  I hold out some hope though, but with out disagreeing with you.

I guess there is a bit of an answer to your question:  Boats and bike politics.  But Im more interested in hearing Stinson repeat the same GNR talking points in 5 interviews then I am in hearing Duff talk boats.

• Like 1

We had an effort for a media driven run when Axl agreed to be on Kimmel, but obviously something came up. Maybe Axl was going through the questions or prep and decided it best to not say anything at the moment. Maybe he hasn't found the words or is afraid of speaking too soon and being disappointed by the reunion himself. 

Maybe a documentary is coming and they can get the answers out there. 

I don't think any attention is on nugnr. That band produced nothing and there's nothing to really look back on expect for the what if's. what we know is Axl and Slash have the most potential to work together in the future and I find that Axl enjoys the build up...he likes people speculating rather than knowing and he likes surprising people, he wants to control who knows what and when. It's why we might never get anything from this lineup either. 

I also find Axl much more reasonable than he portrays himself. We had clues throughout the years that if a reunion happened this is how it would be. From all reports he knew this day would come despite what he tells TMZ. 

I think he has a full plan for this band but somehow with Axl we find that his plans get soured and if one thing goes wrong we get nothing....not sure if that ruins my reasonable argument but Axl is weird 

• Like 1

As far as NITL members speaking to the media there is one person behind that, Axl. Has nothing to do with some evil lawyer sitting in his office, or jimmy iovine. It is Axl and strictly axl.

And the main thing I've found with most people is that they had no idea CD ever came out, most people I play it for love it. But they all think it's slash on the riffs.

And most people that I know aren't super interested in the tour because the last the heard of axl was in the early to mid 90s storming off stage or not showing up at all. So it seems to be like that old saying "perception becomes reality" except now it's "realities of history have become perception" however fair or unfair it is that's how most people I know think of it.

but as said most of them love CD and they all begrudgingly say "I hate axl, but he did an awesome job filling in for ac/dc"

I think at first the NITLT was

1 make a bunch of money 

2.  See if there is any fire there to get back together to record 

3. Could they get along

Then Axl got the acdc tour and I really think if acdc do want to do an album with axl GNR will be retired after possibly a goodbye tour after the NITLT ends.

Look at the facts

GNR songs are too hard on him and simply he voice is almost gone.

Acdc much easier for him to sing and his voice held up. If he had a bad night it wasn't really all that bad. Unlike a GNR bad night.

It would be easier to call it a day Axl will have acdc, slash still has his band, duff would pick right up where he left off also.

And another thing they all will be is much richer 

This is only if axl and acdc do another album or long term touring  which I think both are a very good possibly and imho is alot more likely that GNR recording an album.

I don't mean this as an insult but I have thought that. In the abscence of new media content about the reunion, I find myself still obsessing over the CD era in a nostalgic way. I always thought I'd be getting the biker jacket out and blazing marlboro reds for the reunion. But I'm reading about Brain and his drum lifestyle in sweatpants texting for a rib eye and craft beers. 

3 hours ago, bigcountry said:

I think at first the NITLT was

1 make a bunch of money 

2.  See if there is any fire there to get back together to record 

3. Could they get along

Then Axl got the acdc tour and I really think if acdc do want to do an album with axl GNR will be retired after possibly a goodbye tour after the NITLT ends.

Look at the facts

GNR songs are too hard on him and simply he voice is almost gone.

Acdc much easier for him to sing and his voice held up. If he had a bad night it wasn't really all that bad. Unlike a GNR bad night.

It would be easier to call it a day Axl will have acdc, slash still has his band, duff would pick right up where he left off also.

And another thing they all will be is much richer 

This is only if axl and acdc do another album or long term touring  which I think both are a very good possibly and imho is alot more likely that GNR recording an album.

Only one of those is a fact.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I wonder sometimes if people on here love the music or love the drama.

It used to be about the music and all the excitement. Now all we got is the drama to keep us going. As well as a nostalgia/loot tour featuring 3/5's

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

I always felt like whatever issues were between Slash/Axl were much deeper than disagreeing on musical direction or the future of the band. If they've made peace they probably don't want to disclose every detail about it to the media or risk re-opening old wounds. And really, what's the point? Axl, Slash and Duff made their peace with each other and seem content/mature enough to not have to air it to the public. They probably just told Adler that they're not airing complaints publicly and if he wants to be involved in the future to keep his mouth shut. 

• Like 1

The silence is what gets everybody talking. As much as it's probably due to caution it's also a good marketing strategy. In an age where everything anyone does ever gets covered immediately by social media anyway why bother talking to the press? More and more bands are dropping unannaounced albums and the results appear positive. I'm not saying Guns will do that or not announce something if they are going to at some point but they have a huge enough fan base for their silence to perpetuate enough discussion to create huge excitement.

4 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Nine years and counting, but nobody wants another CD wait.

NuGnR nostalgia tour to be continued --->

I've actually waited longer for CD 2 than CD. Around 2004 is when I started consciously waiting. It's 8 years since CD was released and the wait for the great successor began. 

The nu guns era isn't anything my friends talk about, in fact it's kind of forgotten completely. Except for when we went to the first night in Sydney and a few of my friends were like, why did we get 3 CD songs, 2 ac/dc songs and the seeker ? and missed a few fan favourites everyone wants to hear! 

point of the story is this, other than obsessed hardcore fans like us, no one is talking about CD, no one is talking about brain, ashba, Pittman or that weirdo that used to wear a kfc bucket on his head! ?the casual fans that really are more interested than the people who just happen to sing along to SCOM on the radio are really only talking about GNR because of slash, duff and Axl touring together for the first time in 23 years. And getting nostalgic over that. 

The NITL group aren't talking because Axl prefers it that way. It's got nothing to do with promoting nugnr, or anything like that, it's simply Axl would prefer less hassles, and he doesn't need the media anymore or the crap that brings with it. 

As for the rest, well, people on here calling them a nostalgia band are jumping the gun IMO, the guys haven't done a full loop of the planet yet since they got back together, if this is still the case in 18 months cool, I'll agree, but I think we should allow them to finish this tour run and complete the loop and then see what happens, THEN we can make some judgments.  

Edited by Tadsy
  • Like 1