Paradox of GN'R popularity

8 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ohhhhhhhhh... well, that is what I was talking about when I mentioned having a distinctive guitar sound. There are enough examples of guitarists playing on other people's songs where you can tell it's them without knowing they are on it, but because of their playing style and sound you can already pick them out. I wouldn't have that with Izzy, which doesn't make him a bad guitarist, just not someone with a very distinctive sound like some others.

I think he does. :shrugs:I had no idea that he played on 'Ghost' until I listened to it, thought it sounded like him, looked it up and sure enough it was him. :P Same thing with a couple other songs he's done over the years.

It's hard to tell with his GNR stuff because he's so low in the mix but on guest spots & solo work it's pretty easy to pick up. In my opinion anyway.

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

I think he does. :shrugs:I had no idea that he played on 'Ghost' until I listened to it, thought it sounded like him, looked it up and sure enough it was him. :P Same thing with a couple other songs he's done over the years.

It's hard to tell with his GNR stuff because he's so low in the mix but on guest spots & solo work it's pretty easy to pick up. In my opinion anyway.

That's cool, like I said to the other poster... I don't think many people can, though. He's no Slash or John Frusciante in that sense, meaning... you can usually tell by a few notes that it's them because of their style or sound, or however you wanna call it. And I guess that's what I consider someone having a very distinctive guitar style... when almost everyone, even casual fans, can immediately pick out someone's playing. 

8 hours ago, EvanG said:

Ohhhhhhhhh... well, that is what I was talking about when I mentioned having a distinctive guitar sound. There are enough examples of guitarists playing on other people's songs where you can tell it's them without knowing they are on it, but because of their playing style and sound you can already pick them out. I wouldn't have that with Izzy, which doesn't make him a bad guitarist, just not someone with a very distinctive sound like some others.

also yeah on his solo stuff he is very recognizable

you have to remember that a singer (voice) and lead guitar player are playing melody lines on songs

rhythm guitar is a whole different beast

i am sure you know that melody lines are in itself way more recognizable than rhythm guitar parts or chord sequences etc

thats why you see people humming and whistling melody lines

and you basically never see someone humming or whistling rhythm guitar parts

Edited by ludurigan

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

also yeah on his solo stuff he is very recognizable

you have to remember that a singer (voice) and lead guitar player are playing melody lines on songs

rhythm guitar is a whole different beast

i am sure you know that melody lines are in itself way more recognizable than rhythm guitar parts or chord sequences etc

thats why you see people humming and whistling melody lines

and you basically never see someone humming or whistling rhythm guitar parts

Yeah, I know... obviously when someone plays a solo it's easier to recognize their style/sound than when they are playing rhythm parts, especially just chords. But when I hear for example Hendrix or Frusciante play rhythm parts, then their sound is way more recognisable than when I hear Izzy playing rhythm and I think that goes for most people. But as I said, I can imagine some Izzy fans are able to pick him out. But it's definitely not as easy as some other players I've mentioned who have a much more distinctive sound. 

Edited by EvanG

On 3/31/2017 at 3:53 AM, FuriousStyles said:

It's interesting - somewhere along the line - disinterest, scorn and downright contempt turned into a reverence for the band and I've always wondered about it.

I'm sure Velvet Revolver and Chinese Democracy had some weird reverb effect and the long hiatus of inactivity somehow kept them fresh?

None of their releases post UYI were trendsetting - but its like these weird rumours and speculation over the last twenty years somehow insulated the band - like a cocoon - and gave the band a second life.

EDIT: I still have my Guitar World with KoRn on the cover - sometime during Winter '99/00 - and the feature on "Live Era" was shoved somewhere in the middle as an afterthought from what I remember. Interesting to think how much time 17 years has really encapsulated.

They disappeared right at the point where their popularity was about to dip -- at the near height of their powers. TSI let a little wind out of the bag but overall, GnR left the scene at the right time all things considered. Had they not released TSI, they may have been remembered more fondly by the rock press (doubtful). 

The reclusiveness of Axl definitely gave GnR an aura of mystery and coolness. He blew it with the MTV VMA though in 02. 

The only thing the '02-14 years proved was that even with Axl turning into a bloated joke with a band of second stringers by the end, that band was still packing arenas around the world (struggling in America perhaps, but still). Meaning -- had GnR stayed together, even if Slash had run the show and they had just released generic cock rock albums like Snakepit, the band would still have continued to be a major presence like Metallica. There's no way they would have become a diminished version of themselves like so many of the other major rock acts of the 90's. GnR would have been the modern day Zep or Stones had they stayed together. The reunion only strengthens this notion and the fact that Axl failed at proving he was a legit solo "artist" on par with Maynard James Keenan or Trent Reznor. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, I know... obviously when someone plays a solo it's easier to recognize their style/sound than when they are playing rhythm parts, especially just chords. But when I hear for example Hendrix or Frusciante play rhythm parts, then their sound is way more recognisable than when I hear Izzy playing rhythm and I think that goes for most people. But as I said, I can imagine some Izzy fans are able to pick him out. But it's definitely not as easy as some other players I've mentioned who have a much more distinctive sound. 

yeah i see what you mean

On 4/2/2017 at 5:20 PM, RONIN said:

They disappeared right at the point where their popularity was about to dip -- at the near height of their powers. TSI let a little wind out of the bag but overall, GnR left the scene at the right time all things considered. Had they not released TSI, they may have been remembered more fondly by the rock press (doubtful). 

The reclusiveness of Axl definitely gave GnR an aura of mystery and coolness. He blew it with the MTV VMA though in 02. 

The only thing the '02-14 years proved was that even with Axl turning into a bloated joke with a band of second stringers by the end, that band was still packing arenas around the world (struggling in America perhaps, but still). Meaning -- had GnR stayed together, even if Slash had run the show and they had just released generic cock rock albums like Snakepit, the band would still have continued to be a major presence like Metallica. There's no way they would have become a diminished version of themselves like so many of the other major rock acts of the 90's. GnR would have been the modern day Zep or Stones had they stayed together. The reunion only strengthens this notion and the fact that Axl failed at proving he was a legit solo "artist" on par with Maynard James Keenan or Trent Reznor. 

good post.  the 02 vma's were a trajedy for axl and I remember feeling empty when they got done covering the gnr song.  

The zep/stones comparison is right on, they certainly had that potential.  

I do believe they could start a new chapter, as I said in another thread Springsteen started a new chapter in his fifties and it's been a great ride for him and his fans.  Gnr would have to commit, work hard, write in the same room, etc.... but it could be done.  

I bag axl a lot on here but I would love to see axl thrive and succeed with his real family/band mates, as well as in his solo work so long as his solo work isn't hustled as gnr.