Will a robot take your job?

wasted

Robots is more a catch all for everything, bots and computer algorithms. 

It's more worker jobs, not highly skilked jobs. But white collar numbers based analysis is already 50% done by computers. 

It's mainly routine jobs as I understand. Design or engineering not going. But routine putting things together, maintenance of the robots is. I could see computers churning out designs based off past designs though. But someone has to oversee it. A lot of labor is going. 

Big Data seems like a thing. A lot of banal personal info of shopping habits and automatic selling is already happening. To the point where people have gotten prompts for bereavement of loved ones before they knew their family member was dead. 

McDonals I go in has self service panels just press a few buttons and your order appears on the screen. People put together the food but supposedly there's a machine that can put together burgers. It's only a matter of time until it's like Yo Sushi conveyor belt. 

On 29 March 2017 at 3:06 AM, downzy said:

atlas_SyCBwgD3g@2x.png

It's definitely not a trend that is going to stop or reverse.

Biggest issue with the automation of work as it applies to current economies concerns the transpiration industry.  I read somewhere that one in five or six jobs in the US are tied in some way to transportation (i.e manufacturing of transport machines, trucking, driving, etc.).  The US economy will be transformed dramatically (and I'm assuming, not in a very good way) if and when trucking companies use automated trucks to ship goods across the country.  Not only will this negatively affect one of the few well-paying jobs that don't require higher education, it will decimate the small towns that depend on truckers passing through.  It's going to get very ugly and something no political party or personality has an answer for other than offering a government provided basic income and/or taxing automation/robot machines that replace real life jobs.

The example I read about talked about the economy that builds up around a place of work to. People are needed to drive buses to work, buy coffee, lunch etc. Robots don't need this. So that limits the economy. There's a snowball effect. 

On 29 March 2017 at 3:12 AM, Len Cnut said:

He can fuckin' have it.  I'll just go dust off the 'will wank for pennies' sign and trot off to the subway.

Estate agents must have less hassle with online searches. I look at property online for ages before I go look at a flat. I can look at the rooms and price. And it constant those agents continue to im me places now. 

The pics are often misleading but it must take out the leg work. Or maybe clients are more choosy. You get lost in the limitless options. 

I could imagine a time when our fingerprint or gps would let us see the apartment without an agent. 

But true dole for 80% of people. Free access to entertainment. A living allowance. Maybe work 1 day a week. 

Yet the loss of jobs is not limited to "blue collar" manual labour sectors. The financial giant BlackRock recently announced that it plans to lay off 13% of its financial portfolio managers, as it transfers control over investments to artificial intelligence (AI) systems that use algorithms.

In an interview on automation with CBC News, Sunil Johal, a public policy expert from the Moffat Centre, said: "We are starting to see in fields like medicine, law and investment banking dramatic increases in the ability of computers to think as well or better than humans. And that's really the game changer here. Because that's something that we have never seen before."

But new jobs may be made from these changes. The whole robotics industry must be expanding. But just being physical won't be enough. 

Thinking will always be in fashion, but I know from first hand experience not everyone is that smart. 

So this minimum payment living allowance seems like it will happen. I've had so many jobs which won't exist in a few years. I guess I have some creative input now but still it's not irreplacable. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2017 at 0:03 PM, wasted said:

Next thing you know they'll take my Youtube video away

You live in China, i thought they had already :lol:  When you comin' home man, don't it feel odd out there without BBC1 and doner kebabs?

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

You live in China, i thought they had already :lol:  When you comin' home man, don't it feel odd out there without BBC1 and doner kebabs?

That's what I was saying, I couldn't see the video that was posted. Area 51 all day. 

I'm used to it after 15 years, this city isn't much different any other bladerunner style teeming metropolis. 

My illegal streaming service has BBC channels and ITV. It has every channel ever invented. I found this kebab place Brothers Kebab. It does decent doners and 2 kebab pizzas for 6 quid. 

"Pop Life, everybody needs a thrill"

1 minute ago, wasted said:

That's what I was saying, I couldn't see the video that was posted. Area 51 all day. 

I'm used to it after 15 years, this city isn't much different any other bladerunner style teeming metropolis. 

My illegal streaming service has BBC channels and ITV. It has every channel ever invented. I found this kebab place Brothers Kebab. It does decent doners and 2 kebab pizzas for 6 quid. 

"Pop Life, everybody needs a thrill"

Don't you ever miss home?

33 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Don't you ever miss home?

Can't say I do. I come from a kind of conservative background so I left home when I was 17 and I've been on the run since. So not sure where I'd go back to. UK looks a mess right now anyway. I'm kind of a liberal and now it's gone kind fascist?

23 minutes ago, wasted said:

Can't say I do. I come from a kind of conservative background so I left home when I was 17 and I've been on the run since. So not sure where I'd go back to. UK looks a mess right now anyway. I'm kind of a liberal and now it's gone kind fascist?

Never been back since 17, really?  Where the fuck can you go at 17?  Fair play to ya though man, gettin' on and all that.  I just cant imagine living outside England, wouldnt feel right, id forever feel like i was...i dunno, round someone elses.  I'm 33 and I'm only now getting like, a hankering for travel.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Never been back since 17, really?  Where the fuck can you go at 17?  Fair play to ya though man, gettin' on and all that.  I just cant imagine living outside England, wouldnt feel right, id forever feel like i was...i dunno, round someone elses.  I'm 33 and I'm only now getting like, a hankering for travel.

I understand but I wasn't born in the UK and spent most of my early life in the US. But I spent the 90s in the UK. 00s China. Was it choice? Not really. I wish I had a home like you're talking about. 

Where's the next party? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wasted said:

I understand but I wasn't born in the UK and spent most of my early life in the US. But I spent the 90s in the UK. 00s China. Was it choice? Not really. I wish I had a home like you're talking about. 

Where's the next party? 

Oh right so you're sort of the wandering gypsy anyway, well that makes sense of it.  As far as the home thing, I dunno, I'd rather your gig, fuckin' states and England and China and all over the gaff, person sitting down with you could really learn something, where as with me you'll get the Arsenal score and thats about it :lol:

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh right so you're sort of the wandering gypsy anyway, well that makes sense of it.  As far as the home thing, I dunno, I'd rather your gig, fuckin' states and England and China and all over the gaff, person sitting down with you could really learn something, where as with me you'll get the Arsenal score and thats about it :lol:

I don't think I know more than that. In fact I keep missing the scores. Every fixture is TBC at the moment. It might be the opposite, I don't know anything about anywhere deeply. There's McDonald's everywhere. People are people everywhere. Alcohol is legal. But not in Egypt.