Was it petty to give Axl flack for not going to the HOF induction?

Caught_in_a_Coma

It was wrong from the HOF to try to force a reunion when both camps where not ready for it to happen yet.

The induction sucked because that is not the real Guns N' Roses being inducted and the performance was a shame with Myles Kennedy fronting the band. Axl is an asshole :P but his spot as GN'R singer is untouchable and not interchangeable. Unless he's passed away and it is a tribute show, no one should ever take his place.

Had they not been so greedy (the HOF) perhaps this event could have happened this year and given the fans something to be happy/proud about. 

Fuck those assholes anyway :max:

• Like 1

Axl did a lot of shit back in the day that deserved more flack than not attending the HOF induction but I can see where people would get mad. It seemed like a perfect time for Axl and Slash to share the stage again after 19 years and Axl couldn't and didn't want to for one night. There's a lot of people who would've been happy to see Axl and Slash share the stage just once. I know he says he doesn't owe the fans anything, but he really should've gone and done it for the fans. 

I guess none of that matters now since both of them are clearly cool with each other.

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll never understand why some people were so offended by Axl's decision not to show up. It was painfully obvious that they were inducted in their first year of eligibility because some people thought they could make a reunion out of it. Props to Axl for not playing ball.

The actual event was pretty cringey anyway. Green Day inducting members of the band, who then played songs with Myles Kennedy. :facepalm:

Yeah, well they wouldn't have had to do songs with Myles if Axl had fucking showed up. Also, Guns were automatic first ballot no matter what. 

And what's the big deal about a band playing together anyway?  What is this, the Middle East peace accords or something? It's a fucking rock band. Get up there and play Paradise City godamn it!

33 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

Yeah, well they wouldn't have had to do songs with Myles if Axl had fucking showed up. Also, Guns were automatic first ballot no matter what. 

And what's the big deal about a band playing together anyway?  What is this, the Middle East peace accords or something? It's a fucking rock band. Get up there and play Paradise City godamn it!

Axl was never gonna be forced into a reunion to satisfy other people though. He didn't care that people wanted to hear him and Slash play Paradise City because at the time he still hadn't worked shit out with Slash. Why should he have gone along and benefited the HOF instead of doing things on his own terms?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RONIN said:

They should have been inducted by their peers like the chili peppers. 

Dave Grohl would have been great too. :lol:

At least Grohl had somewhat of a connection. But Green Day and Duff are friends someone said. That kinda goes back round to why it wasn't petty on Axl's part. The HOF couldn't be bothered to find someone connected to the band or inspired by them or who always listed them when asked about their favorites. Instead it was, oh Duff you know Green Day? Can you see if they're free Friday night?

Axl wasn't feeling it and didn't want to do it. Good. I didn't want a reunion with Slash filled with fake smiles and forced handshakes all because of some industry ass kissing thing like the HOF. Didn't bother me one bit in the world that he didn't attend.

• Like 1

i get that it maybe wasn't how axl wanted to reunite, that he wanted it on his own terms and not on the halls.  but the concession should have been to show up in person but not to perform, but at least to stand on the stage with your real bandmates and be acknowledged for making history.  

axl i think at that point was still clinging to the idea that the fans and public were going to catch on and accept his solo band of employees as an actual lineup of gnr.  which never happened.  it's only fair to give axl flack because he denied himself what could have been a very special moment in his life.  as a fan, grateful for what he's given me, i would want that for him.

i thought it was very well done though, no one talked shit, everyone was very gracious and i thought the performance was as good as it could have been considering.  i also thought it was  a very thoughtful and classy move to bring gilby back to play for izzy.  very well done.  and it proved that steven/matt sharing the stage seems to work just fine.  

axl should have gone.  deep inside he knows that.  and deep inside i believe he's proud of himself and, in some dysfunctional axl way, he's proud of his bandmates and what they accomplished together.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Sex Pistols turned it down and good on em.  

Because the Hall of Fame doesn't mean anything. Don't the inductee's have to pay for their family to attend? It's just a way for someone to make money. Much like that Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, don't you pay for that "Honour"?

• Like 2

It was not about Hall of Fame or some award shit, what mattered to me was that after so many years fans (including me) wanted a reunion and would have loved to see the 5 of them or 8 (Matt/Gilby/Dizz) of them together just once. 

There was so much hatred and so much negativity going on that we din't know that in 2016 we would see Axl, Slash and Duff together. 

Axl had made it so many times clear that one of them would die and he doesn't cares about a reunion. 

So well that time, that event put some hopes in the fans to see their fav. band together again just once and as usual Axl fucked it up.

Axl had a lame excuse that his current lineup which even included Ashba and Pitman should have been inducted. 

As I said before, if it happened now, Axl would happily show up and would not care about Robin, Tommy or any other members who helped him to make his dream record. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

What lies has he told to make him the biggest liar on the board?

Why are you attacking band members and making up stories about them?

Says the guy who keeps on attacking forum members for no reason

On 14/04/2017 at 8:24 PM, estrangedtwat said:

It wasn't petty at all.  It was an insult to the fans and the band and everyone involved in the industry that helped Axl along the way.  Everyone that enabled him to live the lavish lifestyle of luxury that he's enjoyed for thirty years.  And he couldn't take ONE night to stand on a stage next to them?

What an asshole.

And now he's out there actually doing shows with them, so the money must have finally been an issue.  Sure makes his boycott seem small and petty now, doesn't it?  Seeing as how adamant he was about not even standing in the same room as Slash and now he's running around on stage with him.

If by "Classic Axl" you mean belligerent self serving asshole that ruins everything for everyone around him, then yeah.  Classic Axl.

Here we go, another 'fan' who thinks Axl owes them something and demands he do what they want him to. HE. DOESN'T. OWE. YOU. OR. ANY. OTHER. FAN. A. THING. You don't have to buy his records, you don't have to go to his concerts, you're free to do what you want to do, just as he is. HE is responsible for his lavish lifestyle because if he didn't make such classic records, no one would have bought them. Personally, I find it hilarious that he chose not to go if it upset people such as yourself. Why do you even follow the band out of interest if you think he is such a belligerent self serving arsehole? Seems a very strange thing to do if you dislike him so much. :shrugs:

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 3

On 14/04/2017 at 9:40 PM, cooker said:

Is the "Hall of Fame" really that big a deal? Guns were only inducted because someone wanted to make money off of a potential reunion, it was a money decision that Axl didn't want anything to do with, right or wrong. Personally I don't understand why the Hall is held in this high standard. Awards are pointless. Just an industry circle jerk. 

Absolutely spot on. No, it isn't a big deal at all and never will be.

• Like 1

Yeah, it was petty for everyone to give Axl shit. As much as I think the 2011-2014 NuGNR era is awful, Axl downright had to stand by it. You have to remember he just spent the last 15 years pushing for his new band whom he made an album with (everyone was on Chinese minus Ashba). While 2012 was in the middle of their nostalgia touring, Axl had no other choice but to support the lineup he pushed for. In his case, it really was a "damned if I do, damned if I dont" situation. Both sides would fuck him, so he decided to take the one that would retain his dignity.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:40 PM, cooker said:

Is the "Hall of Fame" really that big a deal? Guns were only inducted because someone wanted to make money off of a potential reunion, it was a money decision that Axl didn't want anything to do with, right or wrong. Personally I don't understand why the Hall is held in this high standard. Awards are pointless. Just an industry circle jerk. 

I have to agree with this. They were probably really hoping to have ratings gold with a potential reunion or some sort of incident at the awards show. The awards show is really more for the benefit of the HoF than the bands. I would guess that there are a lot of other honors, such as the Grammys and score/soundtrack Oscars, that the bands respect far more than the HoF.

Axl was under no obligation to attend or reunite with his former bandmates for the benefit of the HoF.'s ratings. IMHO that needed to happen in its own time, without external pressures like an awards show.

16 hours ago, stella said:

I have to agree with this. They were probably really hoping to have ratings gold with a potential reunion or some sort of incident at the awards show. The awards show is really more for the benefit of the HoF than the bands. I would guess that there are a lot of other honors, such as the Grammys and score/soundtrack Oscars, that the bands respect far more than the HoF.

Axl was under no obligation to attend or reunite with his former bandmates for the benefit of the HoF.'s ratings. IMHO that needed to happen in its own time, without external pressures like an awards show.

Spot on. He wasn't ready to reunite at that time, it had to happen naturally, not forced. Simple as that.

• Like 2

On 15/04/2017 at 4:50 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

Axl was never gonna be forced into a reunion to satisfy other people though. He didn't care that people wanted to hear him and Slash play Paradise City because at the time he still hadn't worked shit out with Slash. Why should he have gone along and benefited the HOF instead of doing things on his own terms?

Exactly this. Why is it so hard for some people to understand simple shit like this?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.4.2017 at 6:25 AM, RONIN said:

They should have been inducted by their peers like the chili peppers. 

Dave Grohl would have been great too. :lol:

This is really late to respond, but I can't help myself:

Imagine Dave Grohl inducting GnR (with Axl there): HI AXL! HI AXL! Where's AXL?!!! :P:P:P

Edited by Fourteenbeers
typo
  • Like 1