British Politics

Gracii Guns

13 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Didn’t lose more seafarers at all, they just fucked off and didn’t want to come back. :lol: 

If it wasn't for these brave Tynesiders you'd be a colony of a bureaucratic-loving democracy-hating European empire ran by Germany now.

Hang on a second...

On 23/10/2019 at 8:29 PM, Dazey said:

Didn’t lose more seafarers at all, they just fucked off and didn’t want to come back. :lol: 

On a serious note I heard there was a bit of that going on, working class wallahs who saw a bit of the world during the war and just didn't wanna come home :lol:  Fuck going back to the wife and kids, I'm gonna hang it out here in Malaya and see what occurs.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

On a serious note I heard there was a bit of that going on, working class wallahs who saw a bit of the world during the war and just didn't wanna come home :lol:  Fuck going back to the wife and kids, I'm gonna hang it out here in Malaya and see what occurs.

That is basically Mutiny on the Bounty.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is basically Mutiny on the Bounty.

Nah, they couldn’t go back anyway cuz they done over, whatshisface, Trevor Howard, what was his name, Captain Bligh, there you go!  Apparently that island is still populated by the offspring of Fletcher Christian and his shipmates, there’s like 50 of em all told so they can’t have done a lot of shagging if you think about it.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Nah, they couldn’t go back anyway cuz they done over, whatshisface, Trevor Howard, what was his name, Captain Bligh, there you go!  Apparently that island is still populated by the offspring of Fletcher Christian and his shipmates, there’s like 50 of em all told so they can’t have done a lot of shagging if you think about it.

It has been awhile since you seen this film haha?

15 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They did not exceed twenty-five. 

Anchored at Tahiti 1789, Fletcher Christian and the other mutineers mutinied against Lt. William Bligh, seizing HMS Bounty and casting Lt. Bligh and the other ''loyalists'' adrift in the ship's launch before, after various trials and tribulations (some of them actually settled in Tahiti), settling in Pitcairn Island with their Tahitian wives, where they destroyed Bounty. They didn't have a happy time ultimately, the Pitcairn settlers. The men regarded the Tahitians as slaves and were nearly all butchered by an uprising, including Christian (Brando's character). Only one remained alive, John Adams, when Pitcairn was discovered by an American sealer in 1808. The descendants of the settlers continue to live on Pitcairn to this day.

Bligh, an expert seaman, made it back to Great Britain. There has been many attempts to rehabilitate his ''draconian'' character by historians, including a more balanced film portrayal in The Bounty (1984). This includes contextualizing him within the Royal Navy's penal code as it existed then, establishing that Bligh did not do anything out of the ordinary, and in fact may have been more benign than other naval officers. But certainly mutinies followed William Bligh around as he was governor of New South Wales during the Rum Rebellion (1808)! A year earlier he had fought under Nelson at the Battle of Copenhagen (1807) - he was one of the Royal Navy's finest. One of those things historians will squabble about forever I suspect.

But it is easy to see why they mutinied. Tahiti, a classless bucolic utopia of sun, sea and ''free love'',

D47_216_008_0004_600.jpg

And 18th century Britain, a class driven pox ridden urban cesspit full of Christian mores and gin soused old hags, 

1237250_55568274-d244-4687-bc45-52084227

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

They did not exceed twenty-five. 

Anchored at Tahiti 1789, Fletcher Christian and the other mutineers mutinied against Lt. William Bligh, seizing HMS Bounty and casting Lt. Bligh and the other ''loyalists'' adrift in the ship's launch before, after various trials and tribulations (some of them actually settled in Tahiti), settling in Pitcairn Island with their Tahitian wives, where they destroyed Bounty. They didn't have a happy time ultimately, the Pitcairn settlers. The men regarded the Tahitians as slaves and were nearly all butchered by an uprising, including Christian (Brando's character). Only one remained alive, John Adams, when Pitcairn was discovered by an American sealer in 1808. The descendants of the settlers continue to live on Pitcairn to this day.

Bligh, an expert seaman, made it back to Great Britain. There has been many attempts to rehabilitate his ''draconian'' character by historians, including a more balanced film portrayal in The Bounty (1984). This includes contextualizing him within the Royal Navy's penal code as it existed then, establishing that Bligh did not do anything out of the ordinary, and in fact may have been more benign than other naval officers. But certainly mutinies followed William Bligh around as he was governor of New South Wales during the Rum Rebellion (1808)! A year earlier he had fought under Nelson at the Battle of Copenhagen (1807) - he was one of the Royal Navy's finest. One of those things historians will squabble about forever I suspect.

But it is easy to see why they mutinied. Tahiti, a classless bucolic utopia of sun, sea and ''free love'',

D47_216_008_0004_600.jpg

And 18th century Britain, a class driven pox ridden urban cesspit full of Christian mores and gin soused old hags, 

1237250_55568274-d244-4687-bc45-52084227

I meant their offspring, the recent population of that small island they ended up on, numbers 50.  Or so I recall hearing. The ones who are the offspring of the mutineers.

@Graeme

I'm curious, you yourself must realize if the SNP back this early election, it'll basically gurantee a hard brexit at this point. Do you support this?

...and @Dazey

You still thinking about voting Lib Dem? Corbyn might be a rubbish leader, but with fptp it basically means you'd be voting for a hard brexit via Tories.

4 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

@Graeme

I'm curious, you yourself must realize if the SNP back this early election, it'll basically gurantee a hard brexit at this point. Do you support this?

...and @Dazey

You still thinking about voting Lib Dem? Corbyn might be a rubbish leader, but with fptp it basically means you'd be voting for a hard brexit via Tories.

I'm probably not going to bother voting. My constituency is Altrincham and Sale West. Graham Brady is my MP so it's about as safe a Tory seat as you can get. :shrugs: 

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm probably not going to bother voting. My constituency is Altrincham and Sale West. Graham Brady is my MP so it's about as safe a Tory seat as you can get. :shrugs: 

While you're probably right. Labour did make up a huge gap last time and got over the 20k mark. It's not impossible to win, just really unlikely.

Just seen too... your lib dem candiate is Angela Smith "funny tinge". Apparently she's hopped off across the country realizing she wasn't going to win a safe labour seat again.

She's the Labour mp that was in the Al Jazera documentary caught on tape talking about bringing down labour mps unsypathetic to israel. Her adivsor was all over that panarama documentary.

She lost a vonc in her local party afterwards then quit soon after, before the tig thing, which she joined blaming Brexit and Corbyn... before the Lib Dems.

There was also the expense thing... I don't think however she would have chosen that seat if she didn't think she could win it.

Edited by AtariLegend

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Speaking of which. Waitrose are doing a good deal at the moment. £30 off if you spend over £100. :thumbsup: 

There is only one in Newcastle, in Jesmond. Anyone who is aware of the socio-economic topography of Newcastle will know what that indicates (clue, Jesmond is the posh part, where the footballers live).

I had to look that bit information up online as I honestly hadn't seen one in my life. Waitroses are like GN'R albums where I live. Those Pret a Minger places seem rare also.

2 hours ago, soon said:

You read Buzzfeed?? I am gobsmacked! Must be why you're so on fleek.

I do not know what any of that means!

PS

This could be a bit worrying,

EH9h05SX4AIhbmt?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1