British Politics

Gracii Guns

3 hours ago, Padme said:

Extension confirmed. Now there is time for an election, more negotiations and a smooth transition

The election baring a miracle means hard brexit.

The increased Lib Dem support means increased odds of a conservative majority. First past the post litterally means vote Lib Dem and get Tory. The Lib Dems know this too.

The SNP also know this increases the odds of Scotish independence and since they're likely to wipe the Torries out in Scotland this time...

Also if it's till Jan 31st, you're litterally talking 6-7 weeks off for an election, then a week back before the 3 week winter recess. Meaning you end up back with having to get a deal through parliment in 2 weeks, which only gets passed if the Torries have a majority. The end point of which deal is a transition followed by a hard brexit anyway (out of the customs and single market).

It's a charade.

edit

Edited by AtariLegend

16 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The election baring a miracle means hard brexit.

The increased Lib Dem support means increased odds of a conservative majority. First past the post litterally means vote Lib Dem and get Tory. The Lib Dems know this too.

The SNP also know this increases the odds of Scotish independence and since they're likely to wipe the Torries out in Scotland this time...

Also if it's till Jan 31st, you're litterally talking 6-7 weeks off for an election, then a week back before the 3 week winter recess. Meaning you end up back with having to get a deal through parliment in 2 weeks, which only gets passed if the Torries have a majority. The end point of which deal is a transition followed by a hard brexit anyway (out of the customs and single market).

It's a charade.

A general election is what I have been advocating for ages now, and I have to at least give some respect to the Lib Dems and SNP for having more bollocks than Comrade Corbyn who is utterly scared at the prospect as Labour will be wiped out. There is also no evidence it'll indicate ''hard-Brexit'' - where are you pulling that one from? If Boris obtains his majority he'll presumably re-submit his withdrawal agreement.

PS

Labour MP Stephen Timms: "I hope Keith Vaz stands as an MP again."

Julia: "Why do you hope that a man who offered to buy cocaine for male prostitutes should be standing as a Labour MP?"

Haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

A general election is what I have been advocating for ages now, and I have to at least give some respect to the Lib Dems and SNP for having more bollocks than Comrade Corbyn who is utterly scared at the prospect as Labour will be wiped out. 

Hmm? Hasn't Corbyn agreed to a new general election?

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I guess you learnt something today, then. 

Thrice Corbyn has whipped Labour into voting against a government motion on a snap election, 4th September, 10th September and 28th October. 

PS

Prediction: Boris majority with Labour haemorrhaging voters to the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. Brexit Party might pick-up two-four northern seats but won't do as well as they'd like. Real mystery is performance of Liberal Democrats now that they have dressed themselves up in unbridled remainism? Thing they'll definitely increase their proportion but anything less than 20 MPs could be seen as a failure for them given the hyperbole. Real winners from the collapse of Labour however: Conservatives. Either it will be a reasonable majority or a landslide. Caution tells me the former.  

None of this matters however as I'm sure ''remain'' will merely add up all of the losing parties to produce a victory as with the European Elections.

Edited by DieselDaisy

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Mainly that he supports Arsenal. Otherwise he seems like a fine human being.

If you were to ask Daisy, though, because he seems to thoroughly detest Corbyn, the answer is likely the preposterous claim that Corbyn is an anti-semite and the imprecise claim that he is a flip-flopper in regards to Brexit. But underneath all this is the explanation that he simply ticks of all hate-boxes Daisy have: like being concerned about the climate (he bikes and is a vegetarian), being on the left side of the spectrum, not being brash and vulgar, neither explicitly working class nor posh (so not something Daisy can identify with or aspire to), and his support to remain in the EU.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Skimming wikipedia, Corbyn seems like a very respectable politician who grew the party and gave it better values. What are the criticisms of him?

That they think he's an IRA sympathising, wishy-washy communist that turns a blind eye to anti-semitism.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Len Cnut said:

That they think he's an IRA sympathising, wishy-washy communist that turns a blind eye to anti-semitism.

Remember the headlines about Milliand who was Jewish, father?

1924 a few days before the election, the Mail published a made up letter saying that there a planned uprising by communists and Labour. 

It's always the same.

41 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If you were to ask Daisy, though, because he seems to thoroughly detest Corbyn, the answer is likely the preposterous claim that Corbyn is an anti-semite and the imprecise claim that he is a flip-flopper in regards to Brexit. But underneath all this is the explanation that he simply ticks of all hate-boxes Daisy have: like being concerned about the climate (he bikes and is a vegetarian), being on the left side of the spectrum, not being brash and vulgar, neither explicitly working class nor posh (so not something Daisy can identify with or aspire to), and his support to remain in the EU.

You are utterly obsessed with me!

18 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thanks. Sounds like some typical anti Marxist smear campaign stuff. Some accusations of antisemitism from within his own party though! Seems like people putting their own career ambitions ahead of the party, maybe?

Even the progressives in the US Congress are getting the whole antisemitism smear attacks

oddly the antisemitism that festered in the first international was against Marx, suggesting communism was just the flip side of the coin in some alleged ‘Jewish conspiracy.’

Corbyn strikes me as an admirable leader and devoted public servant.

53 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Just recently I would have thought that you were exaggerating for effect. But now I’m not so sure! :lol:

26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is a wonderful world when hyperbole and reality seem to overlap. 

It was spot on, though? 

Not really. You have him as a ''flip-flopper in regards to Brexit'' before claiming that he is a supporter of remaining in the EU. Even the flimsiest glance at Corbyn's political career will demonstrate that he voted against every EU policy occurring, Lisbon, Maastricht - campaigned to withdraw in 1975 - etc etc. He was largely absent from the remain campaign much to the chagrin of Labour remainers. I also do not believe I have ever called Corbyn an antisemite per se unless I was being facetious, but said that his party is riddled in an antisemitic scandal which is factually correct. Boris Johnson bikes, and he holds antithetical beliefs to Corbyn; Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian: point? 

Dazey disagrees with me on the EU yet he dislikes Corbyn - probably more than me as I wouldn't vote Labour irrespective of who leads them, thus I cannot really be disappointed in Corbyn as I think Labour are utterly rancid full stop.