British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

No it hasn’t. 

49 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Nope.

They only voted to take it to the next reading stage. Which although further than where May got it, meant that it was the point where changes could be put down.

They also voted to get rid off Johnson's timetable demand that everything was voted on in 3 days with as little discussion as possible of the details. Yes Brexit had been talked about non stop for years, but that was the first time to actually see what was written down. 

It's very likely given the timetable of 3 days being blocked that a customs union would have ended up attached, that's why Boris decided to pull the deal before the election vote.

My mistake. I thought everything was done by now.  I guess it is because I really want this thing to be over once and for all.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Because a little bit of "torture" is better than a future outside of the EU.

To desire a hung parliament is to desire a continuation of the situation we've had since 2017 and (essentially) a minority government: constitutional paralysis on Brexit. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

To desire a hung parliament is to desire a continuation of the situation we've had since 2017 and (essentially) a minority government: constitutional paralysis on Brexit. 

Not paying attention? It could be a desire to get a second referendum and avoid the catastrophe that is Brexit.

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Not paying attention? It could be a desire to get a second referendum

Then you would require a majority on a second referendum.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

avoid the catastrophe that is Brexit.

If you keep repeating this rubbish, it doesn't make it true. 

Irrespective, the Conservatives will obtain a majority and the United Kingdom will depart the European Union under the deal negotiated by Boris Johnson. I have predicted the outcome of every election correctly since 1997, including the 2015 election which everyone predicted would be a hung parliament.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is not true.

We've been through this before :D Are you drinking?

Following the referendum in the United Kingdom on its membership of the European Union on 23 June 2016, polling companies continued to use standard questions in order to gauge public opinion on the country's relationship with the EU. Opinion polling overall showed an initial fall in support for Brexit from the referendum to late 2016, when responses were split evenly between support and opposition. Support rose again to a plurality until the 2017 General Election. Since then, opinion polls have tended to show a plurality of support for remaining in the EU or for the view that Brexit was a mistake, with the estimated margin increasing until a small decrease in 2019 (to 53% Remain : 47% Leave, as of October 2019).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_on_the_United_Kingdom's_membership_of_the_European_Union_(2016–present)

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

You ended up back at wikipedia after that lengthy search?

In reality the polling is producing results as close as the original referendum. There is no evidence of a mighty swing towards remain. The people who voted leave seem to have become more entrenched and the people who voted remain seem to have become more entrenched. 

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

You ended up back at wikipedia after that lengthy search?

In reality the polling is producing results as close as the original referendum. There is no evidence of a mighty swing towards remain. The people who voted leave seem to have become more entrenched and the people who voted remain seem to have become more entrenched. 

Again, we have been through this before. I can only assume your cognitive abilities are impaired from being pickled in alcohol.

Fact is that a majority of polls show a significant majority for remain. 

No one said anything about a "mighty swing", this is just you moving goalposts when you are proven to be wrong.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

You don't know what "significant" means in statistics? Big surprise there :lol:

Let's discuss when you've sobered up. This is even more ridiculous than normal.

Let's face it, you are bored because you haven't had your daily argument, Soul, and considering you pissed everyone off on the Guns board you have decided to reprise the same argument you've had with me often. Find something more useless with your time than creating arguments with everybody. Evening classes in knitting perhaps?

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Let's face it, you are bored because you haven't had your daily argument, Soul, and considering you pissed everyone off on the Guns board you have decided to reprise the same argument you've had with me often. Find something more useless with your time than creating arguments with everybody. Evening classes in knitting perhaps?

No, I noticed you seemed to not understand why people wanted a hung parliament even though it had just been explained in this very thread a couple of posts before, so I told you it was because of a desire to have a second referendum to which you generously shared from your superior understanding of the basics of voting that that would require a majority in the second referendum. I pointed out that indeed, the majority wants to remain, and that this is something we've been through before. You refused to accept the fact that the majority wants to remain so I hooked you up to a wikipedia page with all the required information in the naive hope that it would now sink in and inhabit your addled brain. After your failed - but understandable - attempt at now moving the goalposts to this being a discussion about there not being a mighty swing in the direction of remain, I still pointed out that a "mighty swing" is not required, only a majority and that the polls do indeed show a significant majority for remain, to which you amusingly pointed out that you don't understand the difference between "significant" and "substantial". And then you complained about me. Just you in a nutshell.

34 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, I noticed you seemed to not understand why people wanted a hung parliament even though it had just been explained in this very thread a couple of posts before, so I told you it was because of a desire to have a second referendum to which you generously shared from your superior understanding of the basics of voting that that would require a majority in the second referendum. I pointed out that indeed, the majority wants to remain, and that this is something we've been through before. You refused to accept the fact that the majority wants to remain so I hooked you up to a wikipedia page with all the required information in the naive hope that it would now sink in and inhabit your addled brain. After your failed - but understandable - attempt at now moving the goalposts to this being a discussion about there not being a mighty swing in the direction of remain, I still pointed out that a "mighty swing" is not required, only a majority and that the polls do indeed show a significant majority for remain, to which you amusingly pointed out that you don't understand the difference between "significant" and "substantial". And then you complained about me. Just you in a nutshell.

It is all opinion polling, the same opinion polling that produced a Hung Parliament in 2015 and had Neil Kinnock as Prime Minster in the 1980s! There was a poll in 2016 which was not an opinion poll but a democratic national referendum, in which leave won. 

It is all nonsense regardless as for there to be a second referendum, there would need to be a majority for a second referendum. What will happen instead is that the Conservatives will form a majority and pass Boris's deal. 

3 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Not politics, but I decided to watch the first episode of War of the Worlds that aired on bbc 1 last weekend. Had tapped it, but not got around to it.

It's one of the most boring pilots I've ever seen. 

Can't believe the tv license went on it and I'm a sci fi buff.

The aliens all die of space AIDS.