British Politics

Gracii Guns

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

It's only a victory for democracy if you feel like you're part of the demos that voted for it. Brexit's really an English and Welsh thing, Scotland has no interest in it - it was defeated soundly in the referendum and perception of it has only worsened since. I guess you can't complain if you view it as a regional division within one nation - that's a standard thing in democracies - but for me, Scotland is my country and the United Kingdom is just a contract that we're currently a signatory to. The last half-century of democratic discourse has shown us to be a distinct demos with our own political culture and aspirations. As such, Brexit feels completely foreign to me and to the community I live in - the overwhelming majority of the people I know want no part of it. It's beyond frustrating.

38% of Scotland voted to leave the European Union, hardly the insignificant percentage the SNP make out - in fact it is only two percent less than London. There are English constituencies which voted significantly more for remain than Scotland (62%) did, Lambeth 78.6%, Hackney 78.5, etc. And Moray voted 49% leave!

To split up a United Kingdom-wide popular referendum by home nation is an artificial construct.

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

38.00% of Scotland voted to leave the European Union, hardly the insignificant percentage - in fact it is only two percent less than London. Moray voted 49% to leave! 

London's a city, Scotland's a country, urban and rural. Leave couldn't manage a majority in a single local authority area, even Moray - and there's plenty of electoral data to illustrate that the voting trends relating to Brexit (see UKIP, the Brexit Party and the Tories in 2019) that have manifested in England and Wales since the referendum have not been borne out in Scotland. Any political scientist would be able to see that we're not pulling in the same direction. 

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

London's a city, Scotland's a country, urban and rural. Leave couldn't manage a majority in a single local authority area, even Moray - and there's plenty of electoral data to illustrate that the voting trends relating to Brexit (see UKIP, the Brexit Party and the Tories in 2019) that have manifested in England and Wales since the referendum have not been borne out in Scotland. Any political scientist would be able to see that we're not pulling in the same direction. 

The election wasn't by home nations. It was a popular vote of the entire United Kingdom. If the referendum was by constituent home nations you'd have a point. To put it another way, if the Scottish nationals were actually correct and not being thoroughly disingenuous about Scotland ''voting overwhelmingly remain'', remain would have certainly won in 2016 as that 38% of Scots leavers tipped the balance. 

Obviously it suits the ''Scottish national'' bias to try and portray Brexit as an England v Scotland problem as much as possible but the referendum results tell a different story.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Surely the war against political correctness has to begin now? We have just seen a respectable and venerable news reader sacked for quoting William Shakespeare. The public are now at breaking point, being castigated for being ''white'', ''male'' ''privileged'', ''ignorant'' and ''uneducated'' by arrogant Woke-green-remaniac liberals sitting in Islington townhouses and celebrity luvvies. They are sick of paying for the elitist BBC (even if they never watch it), who actively represent these values.

I am looking at the support Laurence Fox received, and the fight back begins now. #TheTideIsTurning on twitter.

Time to eradicate political correctness, consigning it to the dustbin of history alongside other fundamentalist beliefs like fascism and communism (with which it shares a lineage).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Surely the war against political correctness has to begin now? We have just seen a respectable and venerable news reader sacked for quoting William Shakespeare. The public are now at breaking point, being castigated for being ''white'', ''male'' ''privileged'', ''ignorant'' and ''uneducated'' by arrogant Woke-green-remaniac liberals sitting in Islington townhouses and celebrity luvvies. They are sick of paying for the elitist BBC (even if they never watch it), who actively represent these values.

I am looking at the support Laurence Fox received, and the fight back begins now. #TheTideIsTurning on twitter.

Time to eradicate political correctness, consigning it to the dustbin of history alongside other fundamentalist beliefs like fascism and communism (with which it shares a lineage).

To be fair, Lawrence Fox is an absolute bellend. 

I'm a lazy ass motherfucker that can't be bothered to google OR read anything rn, but how's brexit gonna affect me, a swede (yes, the vegetable obviously) going to England again? Does anyone have any idea on whether it'll be as much of a drag as getting into the US or Russia with visas and all that, or? Like, will you need a tourist visa? Or maybe no one knows lol

3 minutes ago, john lennon said:

I'm a lazy ass motherfucker that can't be bothered to google OR read anything rn, but how's brexit gonna affect me, a swede (yes, the vegetable obviously) going to England again? Does anyone have any idea on whether it'll be as much of a drag as getting into the US or Russia with visas and all that, or? Like, will you need a tourist visa? Or maybe no one knows lol

I doubt it, they ain't gonna wanna deliberately fuck up tourism, what good would that do anyone? 

30 minutes ago, john lennon said:

It depends. Could be. 

1 hour ago, john lennon said:

Nothing until December 31st. 

PS

Although doesn't Sweden belong to the USA's Visa Waiver Program?

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 1/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Farage's bash outside Westminster will probably end up consisting of cropped-haired football louts, each carrying (ironically perhaps) six-packs of the wife-beater.

I have often wondered if I am clairvoyant,

_110726701_politics-brexit--16284316_p.j

PS

Wonder if Dazey has bought the last remaining piece of feta and humus from his local Waitrose yet? He has two hours left to grab them! 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Just seen Terry Christian's performance from GMB from earlier this week and he seems to have pulled off the amazing feat of becoming an even more annoying cock than when he was on The Word.

What an appalling, mouthy, Manc twat.

Edited by bucketfoot
  • Like 1

The Coruna Beer bug. Firstly, they sent the two diseased buggers to the Toon - thanks a lot!! Secondly, the quarantined tourists are being driven to the Wirral; I think I'd rather take my chances in China! Thirdly, the poor bus drivers were the only ones without masks!

56 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Just seen Terry Christian's performance from GMB from earlier this week and he seems to have pulled off the amazing feat of becoming an even more annoying cock than when he was on The Word.

What an appalling, mouthy, Manc twat.

The guy is a ladys front bottom.

• Haha 1