British Politics

Gracii Guns

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

They shoulda had him in on the Brexit negotiations :lol:

I watched this movie as a 7 year old. "daddy, can I see this movie about robot the policeman? Sure son, it'll make a nice change for those violent kids programs like thundercats, that you're always watching".

19 minutes ago, action said:

I watched this movie as a 7 year old. "daddy, can I see this movie about robot the policeman? Sure son, it'll make a nice change for those violent kids programs like thundercats, that you're always watching".

My Dad was terrible like that, I'd just come in and sit and watch whatever he was watching and it was always some wildly inappropriate shit for kids, I remember watching High Plains Drifter with him and I dunno if you've seen that film but a woman gets raped and basically enjoyed it, I was too young to even know what sex was at the age I saw it with him :lol:  Just all his era of fuckin' movies...a lot of non fucked up shit too, don't get me wrong.  First present I ever got that I actually like...picked out and wanted was Commando on VHS, I must've been 6 or 7 or something too.  Never warped me or anything though, I never really took movies to be serious.  Lucky for him :lol:  I remember going to school as a kid and everybodys watching Ghostbusters and shit and I'm watching Dirty Harry.  Robocop I first taped off the telly if i recall, it was all edited.

britain seems like a good breakwater for europe. without britain, storms like ciara and dennis would hit us at full force.

as for the britains themselves, I guess they are sitting ducks.

had they still been in the EU, we could think of redistributing european money to them to repair damages, but now that they're out obviously that's not an option anymore

55 minutes ago, action said:

britain seems like a good breakwater for europe. without britain, storms like ciara and dennis would hit us at full force.

as for the britains themselves, I guess they are sitting ducks.

had they still been in the EU, we could think of redistributing european money to them to repair damages, but now that they're out obviously that's not an option anymore

The UK is a net contributor to the EU, i.e., that ''redistributed european money'' would be our money to begin with. 

20 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The UK is a net contributor to the EU, i.e., that ''redistributed european money'' would be our money to begin with. 

isn't it a bit like insurances? you pay each year. a damage case may happen. It may be small, it may be big. You could end up getting your input back, or not. but that's not the issue. The benefit is, "insurance", the insurance that when shit hits the fan really hard, you'll be compensated.

with this climate change thing, and storms approacing from the atlantic in increasing quantity, something tells me you'll be begging us for help in the future. But then it will be too late, since you stopped contributing. the basis of any insurance is that you pay your annual fee, or bust

2 minutes ago, action said:

isn't it a bit like insurances? you pay each year. a damage case may happen. It may be small, it may be big. You could end up getting your input back, or not. but that's not the issue. The benefit is, "insurance", the insurance that when shit hits the fan really hard, you'll be compensated.

with this climate change thing, and storms approacing from the atlantic in increasing quantity, something tells me you'll be begging us for help in the future. But then it will be too late, since you stopped contributing. the basis of any insurance is that you pay your annual fee, or bust

Nope. The EU budget doesn't work like that.

10 minutes ago, soon said:

An island decided to cripple its economy and alienate its neighbours as seas levels rise and major weather events increase :lol: 

You should despise the EU given your beliefs. Neoliberal. Ran by dodgy businessmen. Rather poor on environment issues - much poorer than the United Kingdom.

Edited by DieselDaisy

To put it another way, the EU would need to donate over and above 8-9 billion per annum to the United Kingdom for the United Kingdom to even make a profit per annum. In brief and approximate,

(UK contributes to EU budget) 18.7 billion

minus

(rebate and monies returned to the United Kingdom by the EU as PSRs) 10.4 billion

= 8.3 billion.

EU_budget_net_contributions_jJnxF0M.png

What are the EU fighting over now? How to fill up the 62 billion (7 year) deficit in the budget created by the United Kingdom's departure. (I should point out that we continue to pay into the budget until December when the transition period ends). 

In other news, Sturgeon is upset with Boris for calling her ''that Wee Jimmy Krankie woman'' haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Apparently my country is the second biggest net contributor in the EU... and I'm okay with that.

Funny that there are so many anti-EU sentiments in Poland right now, especially when you look at how much the EU has done for them in the last 16 years. Talk about being ungrateful!

Edited by EvanG

29 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Apparently my country is the second biggest net contributor in the EU... and I'm okay with that.

Funny that there are so many anti-EU sentiments in Poland right now, especially when you look at how much the EU has done for them in the last 16 years. Talk about being ungrateful!

If there have been improvements in Poland I suspect that has as much to do with the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, Solidarność and so forth, and Poland's adoption of capitalism and democracy, as anything else. 

PS

The Poles are not stupid. They, as do the Czechs, employ the ''Eurozone dodge'' by which they deliberately rig their budgets so as not to join the Eurozone - neither of them have opt-outs like the UK and Denmark. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If there have been improvements in Poland I suspect that has as much to do with the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, Solidarność and so forth, and Poland's adoption of capitalism and democracy, as anything else. 

There have been many improvements since they joined in 2004. I know that your hatred towards the EU causes blindness regarding all the good things the EU has done, but you can't ignore this.

Just now, EvanG said:

There have been many improvements since they joined in 2004. I know that your hatred towards the EU causes blindness regarding all the good things the EU has done, but you can't ignore this.

Are you saying there were not improvements 1989-2004?

The big key date in Polish history is 1989, not 2004. It was from that point on where free political parties and elections were permitted. And the fact you do not understand the rise of Euroscepticism in Poland, regarding it as a lack of gratitude, demonstrates that you do not understand the country. This was a country, a former European super power (the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth), which was swallowed up by her neighbours and in effect ceased to exist 1795-1918. It thereafter fell under the dictatorship of the twentieth century's two abhorrent dictatorships and ideologies (Nazism and thereafter Communism), only merging from this abyss in 1989. It is fairly obvious why Poland, the sovereignty of her Sejm, is protective over her nation-state, threatened as it is by EU law and regulations. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Are you saying there were not improvements 1989-2004?

The big key date in Polish history is 1989, not 2004. It was from that point on where free political parties and elections were permitted. And the fact you do not understand the rise of Euroscepticism in Poland, regarding it as a lack of gratitude, demonstrates that you do not understand the country. This was a country, a former European super power (the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth), which was swallowed up by her neighbours and in effect ceased to exist 1795-1918. It thereafter fell under the dictatorship of the twentieth century's two abhorrent dictatorships and ideologies (Nazism and thereafter Communism), only merging from this abyss in 1989. It is fairly obvious why Poland, the sovereignty of her Sejm, is protective over her nation-state, threatened as it is by EU law and regulations. 

Of course there have been improvements, but you can't deny how much the EU has done for a country like Poland. That's all I'm saying.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/01/eu-poland-10-years-economic

Just now, Len Cnut said:

I wonder how her parents would've got on under a points based immigration system.

Apparently they were refugees from Uganda so they would still have been fucked if she had her way but just not under these measures. :lol: 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Apparently they were refugees from Uganda so they would still have been fucked if she had her way but just not under these measures. :lol: 

Ol' Amin didn't fuck around, did he?  He used to be a boxer y'know.  If wars were put down to making the presidents square off (as I firmly believe they should :lol:) he would've ruled the fuckin' world.