British Politics

Gracii Guns

First of all, it's the honeymoon peroid after a election where the opposition has been beaten.

Second of all, we're in a crisis comparable to a war. Most leaders get bumps at time's like this and many have. He gets to pretend he's churchill and doing everything in the country's interest. The backlash comes later.

Thirdly it's yougov, apart from those 2 mrrp polls... it's often not the best indicator of public view. There's a bit of a dubious history of how they frame questions and the answers they let you give to major issues.

Finally... there's still a pretty decent chance we end up with a no deal brexit in December or a deal that might as well be no deal.

As for Keir... like Dazy said, the Torries have a massive majority. Labour have little to no role to play short term. The election is more than 4 years away, almost a full term (unless Theresa May luck  striked again). It's too early to say anything about the election. Alot can happen.

@Padme

Keir was behind Labour's brexit position during the election. It was basically a brexit so soft, it's basically remaining vs. actually remaining via referendum.

Edited by AtariLegend

It does not surprise me as I have been reasonably impressed with Boris Johnson during the pandemic, granted much of this admiration is of his lieutenants. Rishi Sunak (£330 billion set aside for crisis; paying 80% of wages) and Hancock (Nightingale hospitals) are surely emerging as potential future leaders? 

Starmer is everything that is wrong with the modern Labour Party.... a party that despises it's traditional voters and their values. The clown has spent the last three years desperately trying to thwart Brexit and is now the leader, well, that's going to go down like a cup of cold sick in the heartlands. He and Labour will never be trusted again, nor should they be.

Labour are finished as a political force. Nothing more to see.

Johnson was London Mayor during the height of austerity so I am not entirely sure why people are saddling him with NHS cuts! Indeed, it was the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition which instigated austerity, 2010-. Johnson was Mayor until 2016. Surely Cameron, Osbourne and to a lesser extent Hammond are the architects of austerity?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

SNP garlanding themselves in glory as per usual I see. 

EU3mY7JXYAEc9K9?format=jpg&name=large

If that's the best doctor the jocks can come up with I suppose it explains life expectancy in Glasgow. :lol:  

Edited by Dazey

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Dr Who warned Boris? Fuck me! What? With her Tardis and everything? :lol: 

It'd be funny if it wasn't a serious story.

This whole lion-izing Boris like he's Jesus on a cross is disturbing.

Thousands of people dying atm. The fiqures we get the news don't include deaths outside hospitals or in care homes apparently.

This nonsence about how Boris is a fighter and too strong willed... does that mean the thousands dead weren't?

Trying to resist the urge to say more. I wish no harm on anyone, but this is the last person who should be treated as a martyr.

Edited by AtariLegend

16 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

It'd be funny if it wasn't a serious story.

This whole lion-izing Boris like he's Jesus on a cross is disturbing.

Thousands of people dying atm. The fiqures we get the news don't include deaths outside hospitals or in care homes apparently.

This nonsence about how Boris is a fighter and too strong willed... does that mean the thousands dead weren't?

Trying to resist the urge to say more. I wish no harm on anyone, but this is the last person who should be treated as a martyr.

Ridiculous post. 

Guardian writing a piece of defamation, attacking Robert Jenrick MP for visiting his parents and/or second home. Turns out he was really dropping-off essential medicines and supplies to his parents (perfectly legal and all within government guidance), and maintained adequate social distancing throughout. The Mail also headlined with this story. Apologies should occur all round one feels. 

In other news, is it any wonder the British public evade ''lockdown'' recommendations/legislation, sunbathing in parks etc, when this is still happening?

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Guardian writing a piece of defamation, attacking Robert Jenrick MP for visiting his parents and/or second home. Turns out he was really dropping-off essential medicines and supplies to his parents (perfectly legal and all within government guidance), and maintained adequate social distancing throughout. The Mail also headlined with this story. Apologies should occur all round one feels. 

You’re conflating two different stories there aren’t you? The issue is that he drove 150 miles from his London home to his second home in Hertfordshire despite government guidance expressly recommending against that.

The visit to his parents’ I don’t have an issue with but he’s deservedly being criticised for the other trip unless I’m missing something. Isn’t that just the same thing the Scottish CMO was pilloried and compelled to resign for but a few days ago?

Edited by Dazey

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

In other news, is it any wonder the British public evade ''lockdown'' recommendations/legislation, sunbathing in parks etc, when this is still happening?

Those are British citizens coming home. They are not Italian tourists. Those special fights to bring back from different places have been going on from day one all over the world.

All the airlines do this.

Those people are put into mandatory quarantine in their homes. However I don't know who is in charge to control them

1 hour ago, Padme said:

Those are British citizens coming home. They are not Italian tourists. Those special fights to bring back from different places have been going on from day one all over the world.

All the airlines do this.

Those people are put into mandatory quarantine in their homes. However I don't know who is in charge to control them

No, they are not the repatriation flights - those are specially chartered flights from places like Peru. Essentially you can still fly from New York and Italy to Britain as normal, albeit reduced service. 

These for instance were not repatriation flights: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/11189512/what-ryanair-flights-running-coronavirus/

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

You’re conflating two different stories there aren’t you? The issue is that he drove 150 miles from his London home to his second home in Hertfordshire despite government guidance expressly recommending against that.

The visit to his parents’ I don’t have an issue with but he’s deservedly being criticised for the other trip unless I’m missing something. Isn’t that just the same thing the Scottish CMO was pilloried and compelled to resign for but a few days ago?

The two stories seem inherently conflated,

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/politics/11369515/robert-jenrick-defends-himself-over-second-home-visit/

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Regardless, don’t you think he’s been rightly criticised for the 150 mile trip to his second home given official government advice?

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Regardless, don’t you think he’s been rightly criticised for the 150 mile trip to his second home given official government advice?

He probably should have drove from London directly to Shropshire where his elderly parents reside, and back again.  

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

No, they are not the repatriation flights - those are specially chartered flights from places like Peru. Essentially you can still fly from New York and Italy to Britain as normal, albeit reduced service. 

These for instance were not repatriation flights: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/11189512/what-ryanair-flights-running-coronavirus/

I had zero respect for The Sun. I don't believe a word they say. If this is true I would appreciate to see the story coming from another source

34 minutes ago, Padme said:

I had zero respect for The Sun. I don't believe a word they say. If this is true I would appreciate to see the story coming from another source

If you don't believe any newspapers then all you have to do is look at flightradar: https://www.flightradar24.com/airport/lhr/arrivals

Edited by DieselDaisy

52 minutes ago, Padme said:

Sorry, I can't find any information about thousands of turists from Italy, Peru or Norway arriving in London :shrugs:

Who claimed that there were ''thousands of tourists from Italy, Peru or Norway arriving in London''? 

The point is that commercial flights, i.e., not repatriation, arriving in the United Kingdom, are still extent. Scheduled new arrivals at Heathrow: 9pm Milan (British Airways); 930pm Dublin (Air Lingus); 935pm Copenhagen (SAS); 935 Cork (AL); 1025 Dubllin (AL), etc etc.

It is demonstrable fact.

Edited by DieselDaisy