British Politics

Gracii Guns

On 17/07/2020 at 12:59 AM, Dazey said:

On a serious note though. Assuming she is allowed back into the UK to argue her case against deportation what would happen if she loses? Bangladesh have said they won’t have her and we can’t just ditch her in any other random country so would she win the right to stay in the UK by default?

She'll be here with no place to send her.  Its one of them things, what do you actually do?  I've heard it said that the Syrian authorities should have to deal with her but then of course they'll just say 'why, she ain't our citizen?'.  The Bangers don't want her cuz I don't think she's really a banger.  See a lot of people like myself who are second generation immigrants from asian countries like India Bangladesh Pakistan etc, for ease of travel get these ID cards made that effectively make us like, secondary nationals of that country...apparently ol' Smokey Bacon here don't have that, perhaps she's just not gone back ever so the need never arose.  So once again, she's Englands problem, the Bangers ain't gonna have her just based on her family.  Once she's here she's fuckin' Englands problem basically, no ones saying that but thats how its gonna work out. 

14 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

She'll be here with no place to send her.  Its one of them things, what do you actually do?  I've heard it said that the Syrian authorities should have to deal with her but then of course they'll just say 'why, she ain't our citizen?'.  The Bangers don't want her cuz I don't think she's really a banger.  See a lot of people like myself who are second generation immigrants from asian countries like India Bangladesh Pakistan etc, for ease of travel get these ID cards made that effectively make us like, secondary nationals of that country...apparently ol' Smokey Bacon here don't have that, perhaps she's just not gone back ever so the need never arose.  So once again, she's Englands problem, the Bangers ain't gonna have her just based on her family.  Once she's here she's fuckin' Englands problem basically, no ones saying that but thats how its gonna work out. 

Bring her back and put her on trial (or whatever is the proper legal process) as far as I’m concerned. She’s our responsibility and for better or worse we have to own that. Imagine the St George waving Gammons’ response if some Bangladeshi bird with an English parent was sitting in Syria and they were saying it was up to us to sort her out?

Edited by Dazey

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Bring her back and put her on trial as far as I’m concerned. She’s our responsibility and for better or worse we have to own that. Imagine the St George waving Gammons’ response if some Bangladeshi bird with an English parent was sitting in Syria and they were saying it was up to us to sort her out?

See this is the problem with trying to establish a state :lol: I had a mate, lived in a council bedsit and was a bit of a Commie, and he had this idea once that you could colonize the North Pole, apparently it doesn't belong to anyone, he could basically have his own country, call it Jack-istan (his name was Jack) and have dominion over all he surveys...which presumably would be a load of icebergs and penguins and, if Kurt Russell movies are anything to go by, shape-shifting alien viruses that do weird shit to dogs.

I'd like to add we were on drugs when this discussion took place :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

See this is the problem with trying to establish a state :lol: I had a mate, lived in a council bedsit and was a bit of a Commie, and he had this idea once that you could colonize the North Pole, apparently it doesn't belong to anyone, he could basically have his own country, call it Jack-istan (his name was Jack) and have dominion over all he surveys...which presumably would be a load of icebergs and penguins and, if Kurt Russell movies are anything to go by, shape-shifting alien viruses that do weird shit to dogs.

I'd like to add we were on drugs when this discussion took place :lol:

Penguins live on Antarctica - Jack would perhaps be more alarmed to learn that some of his new denizens would be polar bears, the only animal on the planet to actively hunt humans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Penguins live on Antarctica - Jack would perhaps be more alarmed to learn that some of his new denizens would be polar bears, the only animal on the planet to actively hunt humans. 

I read a story a while back about a public schoolboy who was killed by a polar bear on a school trip. The headline was Eton by Bear. I know that’s really tragic but it was also objectively funny. :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I read a story a while back about a public schoolboy who was killed by a polar bear on a school trip. The headline was Eton by Bear. I know that’s really tragic but it was also objectively funny. :lol: 

I was talking about that last night! A pal and I were talking about the reintroduction of native species to Scotland that have been made extinct, we already brought back the beaver (no shooray for tolerance!ing in the back) and there's talk over whether or not to reintroduce wolves and bears, both of which are indigenous and both of which have died out. The main case against is public safety and the main case for is the transformative effect it could have on some of our wild spaces (see the way parts of Yellowstone boomed in terms of biodiversity after they reintroduced wolves, from trees right down to insects). I decided to look up what species of bear had lived in Scotland and it turned out that we had both brown and polar bears (although I think the modern climate would be too warm for the latter now) which led on to a whole conversation about Svalbard and that Eton school trip. That headline is simultaneously classless, insensitive as fuck and really witty...

3 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I was talking about that last night! A pal and I were talking about the reintroduction of native species to Scotland that have been made extinct, we already brought back the beaver (no shooray for tolerance!ing in the back) and there's talk over whether or not to reintroduce wolves and bears, both of which are indigenous and both of which have died out. The main case against is public safety and the main case for is the transformative effect it could have on some of our wild spaces (see the way parts of Yellowstone boomed in terms of biodiversity after they reintroduced wolves, from trees right down to insects). I decided to look up what species of bear had lived in Scotland and it turned out that we had both brown and polar bears (although I think the modern climate would be too warm for the latter now) which led on to a whole conversation about Svalbard and that Eton school trip. That headline is simultaneously classless, insensitive as fuck and really witty...

I have a thing for wordplay in that it can be both horrendously offensive and simultaneously hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

His name was Horatius, or something. I remember the story. Horrendous.

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Wow, I got accidentally "hooray for toleranced".

Racist.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

I wouldn’t worry, he had trouble keeping hold of his council bedsit, i can’t see him colonizing anywhere in the near future.

• Haha 1

Boris has just announced a pay rise for ''public sector workers'' who've ''responded to the unprecedented challenges of coronavirus'' whilst omitting nurses, carers and paramedics! Ehh...teachers are included!

It would be comical if it wasn't so sad!

PS

And the Russian interference report, people expecting a big reveal, was a whole bunch of nothing really.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The Russia report gives the unhinged element of the Remain camp what they crave, the ability to bleat on forevermore that they were somehow robbed, already heard Dominic Grieve, James O'Brien and other crying-faced wankers blubbering on about it. In reality, there was nothing much in it but they'll cling to any small crumb of comfort and continue rocking in corners, whimpering to themselves that Brexiteers are thick and didn't know what they were voting for, while the rest of us serenely move on with our lives.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Can we expect apologies from Remainers? 

They'll probably just demand a re-run of the Russian report haha.

As long as we can use the "it didn't happen because we never checked" excuse too. :lol: 

Although being highly critical of their corona handling and other things, I have to hand it to the Tories. They have held my constituency for seven months, after a century of Labour mismanagement and post-industrial decline, and we are already seeing real investment including the reinstalling of the Northumberland train connection with Newcastle (axed in the Beeching Cuts of the '60s). There have been rumblings for years yet, despite Blair's big majorities, nothing! Zilch! Yet within months of a Tory takeover, the proposal is implemented! 

This will materially affect my life and others for the better - I can be in Newcastle Central Station via public transport within fifteen minutes rather than one hour thirty minutes! - and have a knock-on affect on urban regeneration. This means more to me than tranny rights, antisemitism, ethnic people and the godawful European Union - which is all Labour are interested in these days. Well done to Boris if he pulls it off. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Although being highly critical of their corona handling and other things, I have to hand it to the Tories. They have held my constituency for seven months, after a century of Labour mismanagement and post-industrial decline, and we are already seeing real investment including the reinstalling of the Northumberland train connection with Newcastle (axed in the Beeching Cuts of the '60s). There have been rumblings for years yet, despite Blair's big majorities, nothing! Zilch! Yet within months of a Tory takeover, the proposal is implemented! 

This will materially affect my life and others for the better - I can be in Newcastle Central Station via public transport within fifteen minutes rather than one hour thirty minutes! - and have a knock-on affect on urban regeneration. This means more to me than tranny rights, antisemitism, ethnic people and the godawful European Union - which is all Labour are interested in these days. Well done to Boris if he pulls it off. 

If true that’s great news. Is it actually happening or just a promise at this point?

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

In the local newspaper it said tracks could be relaid in a matter of months. 

Sounds great and could obviously never have happened if we were still in the EU. :lol: 

The thing is, for somebody to support something they need to be thrown a bone once in awhile or they will (eventually) vote elsewhere. This is why northern Labour strongholds are voting Tory. If Labour are more interested in transsexual black dwarfs and shitting on Winston Churchill's legacy, then nobody in my area will ever vote for them again in my area. And the EU did nothing here, so I don't see why anyone would've voted remain. 

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And the EU did nothing here, so I don't see why anyone would've voted remain. 

Examples of projects and initiatives supported by the EU

North East Fund: Supported by an EU investment of over £58 million from April 2017 to December 2023, this fund provides investment finance for small and medium companies in the north-east who have a viable business plan but are unable to attract money elsewhere.

The Education and Skills Funding Agency has received EU funding of almost £43.5 million to help unemployed people in Northumberland and Tyne and Wear improve their skills and align skills development with economic needs. Measures include responsive skills for the economy, management leadership and enterprise, connecting business and education, placements, internships and other activities.

Newcastle Laboratory (Life Science and Knowledge Cluster) is a commercial laboratory facility for SMEs in the healthcare and life sciences sector that promotes innovation, products and services. The EU has provided Newcastle City Council with funding of £5.2 million for the project over the period from October 2016 to November 2019.

Internships and Enterprise: Based at the University of Sunderland, this project supports the start-up and growth of businesses in the north-east through the placement of graduates in small and medium companies to work on business growth projects and new products/services. The project was awarded EU funding of over £2.2 million for the period from October 2015 to September 2018.

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Examples of projects and initiatives supported by the EU

North East Fund: Supported by an EU investment of over £58 million from April 2017 to December 2023, this fund provides investment finance for small and medium companies in the north-east who have a viable business plan but are unable to attract money elsewhere.

The Education and Skills Funding Agency has received EU funding of almost £43.5 million to help unemployed people in Northumberland and Tyne and Wear improve their skills and align skills development with economic needs. Measures include responsive skills for the economy, management leadership and enterprise, connecting business and education, placements, internships and other activities.

Newcastle Laboratory (Life Science and Knowledge Cluster) is a commercial laboratory facility for SMEs in the healthcare and life sciences sector that promotes innovation, products and services. The EU has provided Newcastle City Council with funding of £5.2 million for the project over the period from October 2016 to November 2019.

Internships and Enterprise: Based at the University of Sunderland, this project supports the start-up and growth of businesses in the north-east through the placement of graduates in small and medium companies to work on business growth projects and new products/services. The project was awarded EU funding of over £2.2 million for the period from October 2015 to September 2018.

All cities - Newcastle voted remain as I recall.

Exactly proves my point actually.

PS

University orientated also. Few go to university in my area.

Edited by DieselDaisy