British Politics

Gracii Guns

Just now, Dazey said:

I'm very well acquainted with the scandal from over a decade ago but that still doesn't alter the fact that MPs aren't paid a ridiculous salary and that they need additional funding to run an office and employ staff.

This is all a straw man. The scandal didn't even concern their annual salary, and it didn't really concern the existence of allowances per se, but the abuse of those allowances. 

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah well the cunt's been robbing people blind since he could sit up so he's hardly gonna be short of a few bob is he? :lol: 

That's not true as far as I know either because Trump's been profiting from the presidency since the day he took office.

I mean get this, he literally directs his Secret Service agents to stay at his hotels when they're nearby and sends the bill to the tax payer.

Not sure where I heard it?  Googled and found this:

https://www.thebalance.com/presidents-salary-4579867

Trumps a unique case because he's a robbing bastard of some repute. 

Let's look at some of the expenses claims that Dazey finds reasonable,

- £22,500 for treating dry rot in her coastal property in Southampton, 100 miles from constituency and a two-hour drive from Westminster, 

- Paul Murphy (Secretary of State for Wales/Labour, Torfaen)...claimed for a new boiler, because the one he had was deemed "unsafe", in which the water was too hot. The Telegraph identified that he had claimed £1,799 in stamp duty, £35 for a lavatory holder, £537 for an oven, £1,674 for a carpet, £605 for a new television set, £449 for a sound system, £1.98 for light bulbs, £6 for vacuum cleaner dust bags, and £6 for a tin opene

Derek Conway, the MP for Old Bexley and Sidcup then under the Conservative whip, was found to have employed his son, Frederick, as a part-time research assistant in his parliamentary office between 2004 and 2007, with an annual salary of £10,000, despite Frederick being a full-time undergraduate student at Newcastle University. 

Quentin Davies claimed £10,000 of taxpayers' money for repairs to window frames at his "second home", an 18th-century mansion, while staying at his "main home", a flat near Westminster.[40] It is notable[citation needed] that this allegation against a Labour MP appeared in theSunday Mirror, a newspaper known to support the Labour Party.

These are just four examples, from around 40! Look yourselve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_expenses_claims_in_the_United_Kingdom_parliamentary_expenses_scandal

You just know some of it went on rent boys haha. Especially Keith Vaz.

Edited by DieselDaisy

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

- £22,500 for treating dry rot in her coastal property in Southampton, 100 miles from constituency and a two-hour drive from Westminster, 

These are just four examples, from around 40! Look yourselve: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_expenses_claims_in_the_United_Kingdom_parliamentary_expenses_scandal

You should see how the lads get down over in Pakistan:

A hearing on October 18, 2017 resulted in an indictment for Sharif,[58] who has faced allegations of corruption since the 1980s. The Panama Papers corroborated a federal inquiry in the mid-1990s and name both Nawaz Sharif and his younger brother, Punjab chief minister Shebaz Sharif. They also link in-laws of Shebaz Sharif and children of Nawaz Sharif to offshore companies.[57][59]Mossack Fonseca records tie Nawaz' daughter Maryam Nawaz and her brothers Hussein and Hassan to four offshore companies, Nescoll Limited, Nielson Holdings Limited, Coomber Group Inc.,[60] and Hangon Property Holdings Limited.[61] The companies acquired luxury real estate in London during 2006–2007. The real estate was collateral for loans of up to $13.8 million, according to the Panama Papers.[62] The prime minister's children say the money came from the sale of a family business in Saudi Arabia.[62] But these offshore companies and assets were not disclosed on his family's wealth statement and the suspicion that the companies were meant to hide or launder ill-gotten wealth or to avoid taxes called Sharif's ethics into question.[57]

Prior to the ruling, Maryam Nawaz had tweeted denial of wrongdoing, adding that she did not own "any company/property abroad," except as "a trustee" in a brother's corporation, "which only entitles me to distribute assets to my brother Hussain's family/children if needed."[63] The leaked documents name her as a trustee of Nescoll, created in 1993, and Nielson, first registered in 1994. The two companies subscribed to Mossack Fonseca services in July 2006. Mossack Fonseca was managing Nescoll, Nielsen Holdings, and Coomber Group when the three companies obtained a £7 million mortgage from the Swiss bank, Deutsche Bank (Suisse) SA and purchased four flats in Avenfield House, at 118 Park Lane in London. Hassan, the other brother, bought Hangon Holdings and its stock in 2007 for £5.5 million; Hangon then bought property, financed through the Bank of Scotland, at 1 Hyde Park Place in London.

Samina Durrani, mother of Shebaz Sharif's second wife, and Ilyas Mehraj, brother of his first, also figure in the documents. Habib Waqas Group/Ilyas Mehraj is listed as a shareholder with 127,735 shares in Haylandale Limited, registered July 24, 2003 in the Bahamas.[64] Mehraj has denied knowing anything about "any company whether incorporated in the Commonwealth of Bahamas or anywhere else under the name: Haylandale Ltd."[59] Rainbow Limited, the newest of the three offshore companies owned by Samina Durrani, was registered September 29, 2010 in the British Virgin Islands (BVI).[59] Armani River Limited, registered in the Bahamas on May 16, 2002, describes its assets as "property in London, which is not currently rented."[59] Assets of Star Precision Limited, registered in BVI May 21, 1997, were reported as "cash as the investment portfolio. We are also holding 1,165,238 shares in Orix Leasing Pakistan Limited."

He's living in Mayfair at the moment, having been ousted as PM and citing 'health reasons' as the reason why he can't/won't go back to Pakistan to face the music. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

You should see how the lads get down over in Pakistan:

He's living in Mayfair at the moment, having been ousted as PM and citing 'health reasons' as the reason why he can't/won't go back to Pakistan to face the music. 

Politics is mostly about money like most things nowadays - money and power. More so the former I feel but sometimes the latter. Somewhat a mix of the two. Probably a few are genuinely idealistic at the beginning but soon they become corrupt. We'll soon find fresh faced golden bollocks Rishi Sunak in a full blown scandal involving two rent boys at tax payers' expence. It wouldn't change Dazey's opinion on the man mind, provided he dishes out half-priced scran.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't know who much they earn in Norway, either, but throughout the tiers of politics any given politician would have a much lower salary than if they were employed in private business. So why do they bother? Some use it as a stepping stone and will move to private business later and bring all their political contacts with them, some simply don't care that much about money, and some do it because they love their job and find politics rewarding. The percentage that do it because of money through corruption, would be very small indeed.

I googled it... don't know how accurate these numbers are, but according to the article the previous Dutch Prime Minister was making 155.000 euro per year. That's a lot, but this is a salary for someone running the country and probably working non-stop. After being Prime Minister he started working for a financial company and started earning roughly 440.000 euro per year, almost three times as much, and I'm sure he's not making the same hours per week as he did as Prime Minister!

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I googled it... don't know how accurate these numbers are, but according to the article the previous Dutch Prime Minister was making 155.000 euro per year. That's a lot, but this is a salary for someone running the country and probably working non-stop. After being Prime Minister he started working for a financial company and started earning roughly 440.000 euro per year, almost three times as much, and I'm sure he's not making the same hours per week as he did as Prime Minister!

Yes, I believe the numbers would be similar for Norway.

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

See I know you can read so you know that's clearly not what I said.

3 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Oh they love Brexit Britain. Apparently it is because some British remainer, Mark Thompson, took over,

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-s-the-new-york-times-s-problem-with-britain-

https://unherd.com/2020/01/what-has-the-new-york-times-got-against-britain/

23 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, I believe the numbers would be similar for Norway.

Perhaps this is it, in terms of our discussion yesterday, you come from a quite nice and not so corrupt place.  And shit like that doesn't make the news does it, this just in: Norway (or Holland) is a quite nice place.  What you hear is 'EXPENSES SCANDAL' or 'such and such ousted over corruption' or 'MP CAUGHT IN SOHO VICE DEN'.  Perhaps there are fairer parts of the world that I'm not aware of. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Perhaps this is it, in terms of our discussion yesterday, you come from a quite nice and not so corrupt place.  And shit like that doesn't make the news does it, this just in: Norway (or Holland) is a quite nice place.  What you hear is 'EXPENSES SCANDAL' or 'such and such ousted over corruption' or 'MP CAUGHT IN SOHO VICE DEN'.  Perhaps there are fairer parts of the world that I'm not aware of. 

You're not aware of Norway's Progress Party I take it? One of them got done for noncing, the other for using Latvian prostitutes and another abused a 16 year old drunk girl at one of their party conferences. 

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I am sure you are right that our backgrounds color the way we look on politicians. But corruption isn't that high in the UK, either. According to the Corruption Perception Index (which ranks countries according to public sector corruption as assessed by various experts), UK comes in at 18th place and Norway comes in at 10th (https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2019/results) and it doesn't seem right to me that this relatively meager difference (both our countries do well) alone would cause how differently we perceive politicians. Then, of course, you might have a media that tends to blow up all cases of corruption more, whereas Norwegian media tend to be more somber and not so hungry for creating sensations, which might result in people in the UK believing their politicians are more corrupt than they really are. This, too, will color our perceptions, probably more than the dry numbers from the Corruption Perception Index :).

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You do realise that if you're discussing lewdness and female politicians, you'd be better of discussing this subject with Dazey? He wanks off to Margaret Thatcher for crying out loud! 

I should get a point or two for Dot Cotton :lol:  There's a connundrum for ya Dies', right, gun to your head now, East End Dot or Maggie from Grantham?  I sound like Our Graham off off Blind Date, don't I? :lol: