British Politics

Gracii Guns

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

As I have pointed out before, the majority of polls indicate that if a referendum was held now, the majority would vote to remain. The headline here is that shockingly, according to this single poll, there would be a small majority to leave. So nothing new, I guess?

Let’s re-run it in a year when we’ve actually left properly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

chaos in dover and fear for empty racks in stores.

brexit in action.

I guess no dom perignon for christmas in the UK

I can envision britain becoming something of a deserted island in, say, 50 years from now

As much as I'd like to blame this one on Brexit it seems to have more to do with France closing the border to the UK as we're all riddled with the new Super Space AIDS.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/21/covid-chaos-disrupts-kent-ports-as-europe-travel-bans-take-hold

Edited by Dazey

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

As much as I'd like to blame this one on Brexit it seems to have more to do with France closing the border to the UK as we're all riddled with the new Super Space AIDS.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/21/covid-chaos-disrupts-kent-ports-as-europe-travel-bans-take-hold

yeah, of course. but I view this more as a taster of what's to come, with brexit just around the corner

16 minutes ago, action said:

yeah, of course. but I view this more as a taster of what's to come, with brexit just around the corner

I suspect you're right but you'll never hear a Brexiter say that even if we're seeing this and worse for years.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Let’s re-run it in a year when we’ve actually left properly. 

I have never met a Brexiteer yet who's changed his mind. What remainers seem to misunderstand is most Brexiteers were concerned about sovereignty and not economics, thus rendering the latter subject academic. 

Or to put it another way, you can be sovereign without tariffs (no deal), and you can be sovereign without (trade deal); it is immaterial, sufficing that you are sovereign.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have never met a Brexiteer yet who's changed his mind. What remainers seem to misunderstand is most Brexiteers were concerned about sovereignty and not economics, thus rendering the latter subject academic. 

I've never met a Brexiter who understands the potential economic devastation. Mostly because we haven't left properly at this point so none of it has happened yet. You might actually have lucked out in that respect however as now no matter how bad things get you can just pin it on the virus.  

Just now, Dazey said:

I've never met a Brexiter who understands the potential economic devastation. Mostly because we haven't left properly at this point so none of it has happened yet. You might actually have lucked out in that respect however as now no matter how bad things get you can just pin it on the virus.  

You are missing the point completely. The economics are superfluous for most Brexiteers, although somewhat connected through the ability to bilaterally trade, as the overriding argument is sovereignty, i.e., to be governed by the government you elect, and not by an unelected foreign Commission. 

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

You are missing the point completely. The economics are superfluous for most Brexiteers, although somewhat connected through the ability to bilaterally trade, as the overriding argument is sovereignty, i.e., to be governed by the government you elect, and not by an unelected foreign Commission. 

also brown people.

• Haha 1

Remainers don't want a trade deal. If there is a comprehensive trade agreement, remainers will merely say, ''it is the same as what we had in the (drum roll) 'world's biggest trading bloc''. If there isn't a deal, it will merely symbolise the failure of Brexit and foretell the zombie apocalypse that will apparently occur on January 1st.

Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Remainers don't want a trade deal. If there is a comprehensive trade agreement, remainers will merely say, ''it is the same as what we had in the (drum roll) 'world's biggest trading bloc''. If there isn't a deal, it will merely symbolise the failure of Brexit and foretell the zombie apocalypse that will apparently occur on January 1st.

Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.

We'd love a trade deal. We just know that it won't be as good as the one we already had.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If there is a comprehensive trade agreement, remainers will merely say, ''it is the same as what we had in the (drum roll) 'world's biggest trading bloc''. If there isn't a deal, it will merely symbolise the failure of Brexit

This is it in a nutshell basically.

57 minutes ago, Dazey said:

We'd love a trade deal. We just know that it won't be as good as the one we already had.

You'll be whinging either way. 60ish continuity agreements - Liz knocking out one per day? ''Yes, but those are the same deals as what we had before'' (we could have, in an alternative scenario, not obtained these continuity agreements as most remainers were initially, but erroneously, predicting!).

Most remainers actually desire their prophecies of doom to come to fruition - I am convinced. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'll be whinging either way. 60ish continuity agreements - Liz knocking out one per day? ''Yes, but those are the same deals as what we had before'' (we could have, in an alternative scenario, not obtained these continuity agreements as most remainers were initially, but erroneously, predicting!).

Most remainers actually desire their prophecies of doom to come to fruition - I am convinced. 

Even if we get continuity agreements with every other independent country we still won't have one with the most important countries ie the EU27.

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Even if we get continuity agreements with every other independent country we still won't have one with the most important countries ie the EU27.

You'd moan if we did! If we had a free trade deal in which the French give us free champagne and the Germans provide everyone with a free BMW, you'd still be moaning.

Or remoaning should I say.

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Economics may not feel so superfluous when all they have to eat are “root vegetables.”

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is historical revisionism. Sovereignty was not the main reason people voted to leave the EU.

People’s Stated Reasons for Voting Leave or Remain – CSI Nuffield (google.com)

As you can see, the main reason was to stop immigration. You might argue that these things are connected, but the reason wasn't some lofty ideal of sovereignty, but the more pragmatic desire to reduce immigration. 

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is historical revisionism. Sovereignty was not the main reason people voted to leave the EU.

People’s Stated Reasons for Voting Leave or Remain – CSI Nuffield (google.com)

As you can see, the main reason was to stop immigration. You might argue that these things are connected, but the reason wasn't some lofty ideal of sovereignty, but the more pragmatic desire to reduce immigration. 

They’re all crowing about sovereignty now because it’s such an insubstantial and vague concept. They can pretend that none of the hardship and economic devastation matters  because in the absence of any actual tangible benefits to point to they can at least brandish a blue passport and go on about less wogs to deal with. Irony is that the most Brexity of the Brexit areas are something like 99% white British ethnically. 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

They’re all crowing about sovereignty now because it’s such an insubstantial and vague concept. They can pretend that none of the hardship and economic devastation matters  because in the absence of any actual tangible benefits to point to they can at least brandish a blue passport and go on about less wogs to deal with. Irony is that the most Brexity of the Brexit areas are something like 99% white British ethnically. 

No it isn't. The politicians we can vote and cannot vote out is very substantial and tangible for instance.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

No it isn't. The politicians we can vote and cannot vote out is very substantial and tangible for instance.

Name one EU regulation that causes you personal grief on a daily basis and how leaving it up to Boris over Brussels will improve your lot?

Besides, irrespective of any specific legislation enacted, I happen to believe that European jurisprudence should not have stipulation within the United Kingdom, and that unelected Eurocrats should not have authority in the United Kingdom. 

PS

Well I suppose a Remoanerathon was going to happen. Maybe they are bored with Trump now? 

Edited by DieselDaisy