British Politics

Gracii Guns

46 minutes ago, Padme said:

This is just a trade deal. So from now on there are a lot of EU rules and regulatation that the UK won't follow anymore. Is that good or bad for the UK? Only time will tell

So all the trade benefits and none of the regulation?  Sounds alright to me!

35 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

So all the trade benefits and none of the regulation?  Sounds alright to me!

Not really, lets say you're a doctor and you want to move to Germany or France. Good luck with that! Your degree no longer has recognition. You can't enroll in Erasmus program. And you need a visa to be legal resident in Germany or France. The same happens the other way around. And I don't know what's gonna happen with European football players

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

So whats different between the deal we’ve made now and what we were when we were part of the EU?

by far the biggest difference will be in the department of justice (the safety and justice pillar of the EU).

if you're in the EU, you've got the european court on human rights watching over you, to see if you're not treating criminals too bad.

it also means, you can't kill terrorists with the death penalty for example: europe forbids it.

In belgium, we've had to drastically change our criminal procedures (for example: an attorney is needed with criminial interrogations), and I'm sure you british had to as well.

it's not clear to me though, if leaving the EU also meant leaving the european treaty on human rights. If not, then I believe brexit is pretty meaningless to begin with.

Edited by action

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

So whats different between the deal we’ve made now and what we were when we were part of the EU?

The greatest benefit in my opinion is that we are no longer a member of the Customs Union. In the Customs Union, EU member states could not make bilateral trade deals. Britain can now make independent trade deals as a sovereign nation, and indeed 61 will come into operation on January 1st.

Further, European law no longer applies here. Britain is free of EU regulation (EU trade is heavily regulated and bureaucratic, possessing much higher corporate tax). No CFP which will allow our fisheries to regenerate. No CAP. 

4 hours ago, Padme said:

Not really, lets say you're a doctor and you want to move to Germany or France. Good luck with that! Your degree no longer has recognition. You can't enroll in Erasmus program. And you need a visa to be legal resident in Germany or France. The same happens the other way around. And I don't know what's gonna happen with European football players

What an utter load of bollocks. 

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The greatest benefit in my opinion is that we are no longer a member of the Customs Union. In the Customs Union, EU member states could not make bilateral trade deals. Britain can now make independent trade deals as a sovereign nation, and indeed 61 will come into operation on January 1st.

Further, European law no longer applies here. Britain is free of EU regulation (EU trade is heavily regulated and bureaucratic, possessing much higher corporate tax). No CFP which will allow our fisheries to regenerate. No CAP. 

What an utter load of bollocks. 

No

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/24/from-tariffs-to-visas-heres-whats-in-the-brexit-deal

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sorry but I still cannot find a passage pertaining to a degree having no recognition. Degrees from UK universities are recognised world wide.

• There will no longer be automatic recognition of professional qualifications such as doctors, nurses and architects

It is not worldwide. It's within EU. We are talking about UK leaving the EU. I don't know what the rules are for U.S. or Australia

Edited by Padme

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

So UK didn't get their fish back? Well, they got 25 % of them back.

Anyway, happy to hear they managed to finally get a deal, even if a lot remains to be done. Great that Brits won't have to cope with a hard Brexit in addition to the Brexit.

Is the agreement between Norway and the EU similar to the one the UK made?

2 hours ago, Padme said:
  • There will no longer be automatic recognition of professional qualifications such as doctors, nurses and architects

It is not worldwide. It's within EU. We are talking about UK leaving the EU. I don't know what the rules are for U.S. or Australia

Those are not degrees. Those are professional qualifications that you often get in addition to your degree. The latter, unlike degrees, are regulatory in nature.

2 hours ago, Padme said:

Is the agreement between Norway and the EU similar to the one the UK made?

Norway is a member of the EFTA which means she is a member of the EEA.  

38 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Those are not degrees. Those are professional qualifications that you often get in addition to your degree. The latter, unlike degrees, are regulatory in nature.

Still they don't have the recognition they used to have

Just now, Padme said:

Still they don't have the recognition they used to have

It would be surprising if they did as they'd be affiliated with their own area's regulatory authorities, bodies such as the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Luckily professional qualifications are usually far shorter than degrees, and can be done part-time. CELTA for instance, which is for English teachers, is only a four week course.

24 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It would be surprising if they did as they'd be affiliated with their own area's regulatory authorities, bodies such as the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Luckily professional qualifications are usually far shorter than degrees, and can be done part-time. CELTA for instance, which is for English teachers, is only a four week course.

Well it would be wouldn’t it? Piece of piss is English. That should try teaching a proper subject. :lol: