Remainers don't want a trade deal. If there is a comprehensive trade agreement, remainers will merely say, ''it is the same as what we had in the (drum roll) 'world's biggest trading bloc''. If there isn't a deal, it will merely symbolise the failure of Brexit and foretell the zombie apocalypse that will apparently occur on January 1st.

Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

8 half naked men in a hot tub. Seems pretty Greek to me.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Remainers don't want a trade deal. If there is a comprehensive trade agreement, remainers will merely say, ''it is the same as what we had in the (drum roll) 'world's biggest trading bloc''. If there isn't a deal, it will merely symbolise the failure of Brexit and foretell the zombie apocalypse that will apparently occur on January 1st.

Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.

We'd love a trade deal. We just know that it won't be as good as the one we already had.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

If there is a comprehensive trade agreement, remainers will merely say, ''it is the same as what we had in the (drum roll) 'world's biggest trading bloc''. If there isn't a deal, it will merely symbolise the failure of Brexit

This is it in a nutshell basically.

57 minutes ago, Dazey said:

We'd love a trade deal. We just know that it won't be as good as the one we already had.

You'll be whinging either way. 60ish continuity agreements - Liz knocking out one per day? ''Yes, but those are the same deals as what we had before'' (we could have, in an alternative scenario, not obtained these continuity agreements as most remainers were initially, but erroneously, predicting!).

Most remainers actually desire their prophecies of doom to come to fruition - I am convinced. 

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'll be whinging either way. 60ish continuity agreements - Liz knocking out one per day? ''Yes, but those are the same deals as what we had before'' (we could have, in an alternative scenario, not obtained these continuity agreements as most remainers were initially, but erroneously, predicting!).

Most remainers actually desire their prophecies of doom to come to fruition - I am convinced. 

Even if we get continuity agreements with every other independent country we still won't have one with the most important countries ie the EU27.

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Even if we get continuity agreements with every other independent country we still won't have one with the most important countries ie the EU27.

You'd moan if we did! If we had a free trade deal in which the French give us free champagne and the Germans provide everyone with a free BMW, you'd still be moaning.

Or remoaning should I say.

Edited by DieselDaisy
4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are missing the point completely. The economics are superfluous for most Brexiteers, although somewhat connected through the ability to bilaterally trade, as the overriding argument is sovereignty, i.e., to be governed by the government you elect, and not by an unelected foreign Commission. 

Economics may not feel so superfluous when all they have to eat are “root vegetables.”

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are missing the point completely. The economics are superfluous for most Brexiteers, although somewhat connected through the ability to bilaterally trade, as the overriding argument is sovereignty, i.e., to be governed by the government you elect, and not by an unelected foreign Commission. 

This is historical revisionism. Sovereignty was not the main reason people voted to leave the EU.

People’s Stated Reasons for Voting Leave or Remain – CSI Nuffield (google.com)

As you can see, the main reason was to stop immigration. You might argue that these things are connected, but the reason wasn't some lofty ideal of sovereignty, but the more pragmatic desire to reduce immigration. 

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is historical revisionism. Sovereignty was not the main reason people voted to leave the EU.

People’s Stated Reasons for Voting Leave or Remain – CSI Nuffield (google.com)

As you can see, the main reason was to stop immigration. You might argue that these things are connected, but the reason wasn't some lofty ideal of sovereignty, but the more pragmatic desire to reduce immigration. 

They’re all crowing about sovereignty now because it’s such an insubstantial and vague concept. They can pretend that none of the hardship and economic devastation matters  because in the absence of any actual tangible benefits to point to they can at least brandish a blue passport and go on about less wogs to deal with. Irony is that the most Brexity of the Brexit areas are something like 99% white British ethnically. 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

They’re all crowing about sovereignty now because it’s such an insubstantial and vague concept. They can pretend that none of the hardship and economic devastation matters  because in the absence of any actual tangible benefits to point to they can at least brandish a blue passport and go on about less wogs to deal with. Irony is that the most Brexity of the Brexit areas are something like 99% white British ethnically. 

No it isn't. The politicians we can vote and cannot vote out is very substantial and tangible for instance.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

No it isn't. The politicians we can vote and cannot vote out is very substantial and tangible for instance.

Name one EU regulation that causes you personal grief on a daily basis and how leaving it up to Boris over Brussels will improve your lot?

Besides, irrespective of any specific legislation enacted, I happen to believe that European jurisprudence should not have stipulation within the United Kingdom, and that unelected Eurocrats should not have authority in the United Kingdom. 

PS

Well I suppose a Remoanerathon was going to happen. Maybe they are bored with Trump now? 

Edited by DieselDaisy

CFP

Utterly trashed various communities along my coastline. 

Clearly doesn't affect you on a daily basis nor would repealing it tomorrow make your life any better.

54 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Clearly doesn't affect you on a daily basis nor would repealing it tomorrow make your life any better.

I am sure my life would have been different if our fisheries were not destroyed by the EC/EU; it would have had a positive repercussion on continued urban prosperity and local businesses. Now our coastal communities are dilapidated. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am sure my life would have been different if our fisheries were not destroyed by the EC/EU; it would have had a positive repercussion on continued urban prosperity and local businesses. Now our coastal communities are dilapidated. 

But you still don't demonstrate how the current course of action today makes things better. That's the whole point. You're pissed about something that happened decades ago that won't be reversed by making things worse today.

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

But you still don't demonstrate how the current course of action today makes things better. That's the whole point. You're pissed about something that happened decades ago that won't be reversed by making things worse today.

I am not ''pissed'' about anything. I merely see the eradication of the Common Fisheries Policy, and the removal of European jurisprudence and governance from the United Kingdom as beneficial for the United Kingdom. 

I am not ''pissed'' about anything. I merely see the eradication of the Common Fisheries Policy, and the removal of European jurisprudence and governance from the United Kingdom as beneficial for the United Kingdom. 

That wasn’t the question I asked of you though. 

Edited by Dazey
1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

The irony here is of course that in the trade deal with the EU (that is being negotiated), EU may end up keeping their access to Britain's fish stocks. 

True, I read the EU could get  some access. But now I'm worried about the mess created by this new virus mutation :no:

Edited by Padme

The ironic thing is this,

6 hours ago, Dazey said:

Name one EU regulation that causes you personal grief on a daily basis and how leaving it up to Boris over Brussels will improve your lot?

Is from someone who spends all their time moaning about an elected leader of a foreign polity! 

• Like 1