Fortus on Slash & Duff: 'I Think We All Agree It Clicked Instantly' [Update Page 7 - ''I Don't Think This Band Has Ever Sounded Better Than It Does Right Now'']

21 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Were Duff/Slash on good terms with Matt after VR disbanded? I was under the impression Matt became increasingly difficult to work with towards the end of VR...

I would assume so. They've played a few one offs together and Matt was in Slash's "Raised on the Sunset Strip" documentary. 

• Like 1

Man. This sucks, why is it always the hired hands that speak on shit relating to GNR? 

29 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Were Duff/Slash on good terms with Matt after VR disbanded? I was under the impression Matt became increasingly difficult to work with towards the end of VR...

I would think so. Duff was in the Hollywood Vampires before the GNR return. and Slash had played with Kings of Choas plenty as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RONIN said:

So basically to surmise:

Fortus wasn't really familiar with Guns let alone a fan. THIS is the guy they drafted into the band? :facepalm:

When you are influenced by the Rolling Stones and country or punk musicians just as Izzy, Axl or Slash and it works, you don't have to idolise the band you're in to fit, like Stinson. He knew the hits, he probably liked the sound, that was enough.

36 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Atleast Buckethead and Bumblefoot were Guns N' Roses fans. 

They were being professional. Actually Bumblefoot recorded this one year before the band first approached him (2003).

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I never heard any rumor about this.  Matt always seemed like a cool cat.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

I'll just leave this here... Starts at 05:22

I have a feeling there might be some tension there. :shrugs:

I kinda interpret Sorum saying that in jest...but I could be wrong, kind hard to gauge peoples emotions at times for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I kinda interpret Sorum saying that in jest...but I could be wrong, kind hard to gauge peoples emotions at times for me. 

Could be, but it seemed weird to me that Duff would be giving him grief about the Kings of Chaos name. But I guess Matt could have been joking like you said.

Nice to see the bois giving interviews on a more consistent basis.

Spoiler

From Old French bosc, bois, from Vulgar Latin *boscus, from Frankish *busk, *busc, from Proto-Germanic *buskaz (bush, thicket)

Looks can be deceiving. Fortus doesn't love to lie it seems. Was honest about his musical interests now. I think what's exciting to him is working with Axl, Duff, and Slash on anything they want to do. Sounds like he's up for it.

It's interesting he wants to go Indy again. He loves playing with Slash and Duff and the Frank thing was a style thing, he's a different drummer so it took longer for him to fit in. Fortus came from the same place as those guys and is a session player as well so can't be compared.

In addition, Fortus and Frank were in the same band together pre Gn'R. This is an advantage and even if you dislike Frank, Slash and him do connect musically, dramatic and high energy in nature, they both rock hard like Zep. I.R.S is a tune I think could highlight how well Slash's and Frank's styles could blend. Now he's noodling with thunder.

We got a Mellisa interview and Fortus plus Axl exchange and Axl and Duff. Getting there. Incredibly awesome interview. I love Richard.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Original said:

I was canking some 2017 live stuff today and kept thinking- Frank sucks.  He must have some incriminating pics of Axl or something....why not bring Matt on board?  

That's pretty easy. Because Matt is a Slash/Duff guy. Having him would shift the "power" momentum in the band. As it stands with Reed, Fortus and Ferrer, there are 3 Axl guys in the band. People, who are employed by Axl and presumably in his corner and have his back and thus give him a better feeling in the band. If Ferrer would get exchanged for Sorum that would shift (and probably bring some UYI memories back, of which he seems to not be too fond) the whole situation, especially last year, when they went into the reunion.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, action said:

"I never really owned a record"

"it wasn't really my genre"

and to say richard seems the most dedicated of the NUguns hacks

He wasn't really into that style at the time. Should have lied? he then said when he joined he thought it was a good fit with The Stones and punk thing a part of the sound. Robin was there, Fortus loved NIN, Tommy was there, Fortus loved The Replacements and was a Josh and Brain fan. He gravitated towards other styles before Gn'R, nothing he can do about that.

And Fortus is dedicated, providing a consistent quality of performance and doing his job for more than 15 years now. He obviously enjoys being a part of this line up so honestly I don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Yeah men why everything has to be a pitch perfect candidate to be GNR employee? It's there a requirement that need to be passed? Like must be Hard Rock/Blues based dude, at least 10+ years GNR fans, or need to own all the record?

it's just akin to normie jobs, you don't need to love it at start, but as long the salary and the benefits clicked, you can love it and understand it more by the times passed by. What you need is just being professional, competent, able to do what being asked, and didn't create any hassle.

If we really need choose real GNR fans as an employee, say no more, we can call Ashba back.

8 hours ago, Mendez said:

"Matt Sorum is a wonderful guy and a terrific drummer, but he'll be the first one to tell you that he has the typical "drummer-who-wants-to-be-a-front-man" bug." - Duff

I would think that would be hard to work with when your drummer has a bit of an ego, especially when there are 2 other possible (Axl and Slash) major egos, and 1 possible minor ego (Duff) in the band.

You also have Scott Weiland, who although has a major habit of burning bridges, says that the only member who he was always at odds with in VR was Matt.

There also has to be some reason why Slash didn't have Matt drum on anything on his 1st solo album, while Izzy, Duff, and Adler played a part on it.

Of course, I'm just drawing my own conclusions, as I, along with everyone else, know jack shit about anything of this band

I, along with everyone else, know jack shit about anything of this band-     Good point...and LOL. 

In the end, does it really matter if Richard was a fan of the band in it's heyday?

I know people will suggest that by not, he's some kind of bootlicker or just a paycheck player, but maybe he was just wrapped up in his own thing, which was New York punk rock.

It's not like Tommy, who not only wasn't familiar with the material, but was on his Kurt Cobain high-horse thumbing his nose at anthem rock.

I think the bottom line is that he does have a certain chemistry with Slash. Their guitars complement each other in a very natural way, probably because Richard is the kind of guy who is wise enough to dim his light so Slash can shine. 

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

So basically to surmise:

Fortus wasn't really familiar with Guns let alone a fan. THIS is the guy they drafted into the band? :facepalm:

Same thing with Stinson... he didn't really like the band before he joined.

12 hours ago, killuridols said:

It is so sad to read stuff like "since we didn't have a bass player and a lead guitarist, we had to call Duff & Slash" :facepalm:

Lamest. band. ever. :no:

i agree, this is such a delusional statement, so many layers of denial (almost as many layers as CD), i can't imagine slash and duff don't read this and have a good chuckle.  

dear richard,

i want to like you. you're a great player and there hopefully will come a time you actually write and record with the band.  but until then you are an EMPLOYEE hired by your boss axl rose to say yes exactly when he tells you to say yes.  when you say insane bullshit like "since WE didn't have a bass player and lead guitarist…" we all lose respect for you.  there is no "we", you were not in gnr, you were a hired member of axl's solo band that traveled the world selling itself as guns n' roses playing gnr covers and axl's solo material, there was NEVER a point YOU REALLY WERE in gnr with fat elvis as the only original member.  i know deep down you know that and i know you know deep down REAL rock n' roll fans know your place even if you don't.  the "band" you were in was enabled by axl's lawyers and "team yes", or i mean "team brazil". 

again, it's nothing personal… i just wanted to give you a heads up so you can stop embarrassing yourself like the other axl employees who chase press under the guise of being an actual member, endlessly trying to hitch their bullshit to the real gnr legacy.  

and thank you for acknowledging frank was fine for axl's solo work but he doesn't add up as the drummer for guns n' roses.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

The 3 of them played together numerous times over the years since VR. Kings of Chaos, Vampires, Hall of Fame etc.

Im sure the issues in VR and the head butting primarily between Matt and Scott was nothing new to S & D as Matt used to butt heads with Axl back in the day.  According to Scott he and Matt even ironed out there differences.

The only real issue post VR was when they had a disagreement on making Corey Taylor the singer.

Matt wanted him, Duff probably did too, as he is a big Slipknot/Stone Sour fan but thankfully Slash didn't think enough of Taylor to proceed and instead went off on his own. Thank god because I can't stand Taylor

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

In the end, does it really matter if Richard was a fan of the band in it's heyday?

I know people will suggest that by not, he's some kind of bootlicker or just a paycheck player, but maybe he was just wrapped up in his own thing, which was New York punk rock.

It's not like Tommy, who not only wasn't familiar with the material, but was on his Kurt Cobain high-horse thumbing his nose at anthem rock.

I think the bottom line is that he does have a certain chemistry with Slash. Their guitars complement each other in a very natural way, probably because Richard is the kind of guy who is wise enough to dim his light so Slash can shine. 

We don't know if Slash and Richard's playing complements one another until we hear what they come up with in the studio. 

They probably will feed off each other. As far as live goes if anything Richard is too present whereas Gilby knew his place and stood back. As did Izzy albeit in a much more cooler/legendary manner

On May 8, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Top-Hatted One said:

The 3 of them played together numerous times over the years since VR. Kings of Chaos, Hallnof Fame etc.

Im sure the issues in VR and the head butting primarily between Matt and Scott was nothing new to S & D as Matt used to butt heads with Axl back in the day. 

The only real issue post VR was when they had a disagreement on making Corey Taylor the singer.

Matt wanted him, Duff probably did too as he is a big Slipknot/Stone Sour fan but thankfully Slash didn't think enough of Taylor to proceed and instead went off on his own. Thank god because I can't stand Taylor

i think slash and duff are fine with matt.  i think their hands are tied in bringing him back into the band because axl is determined to legitimize his solo band and therefore will keep as many employees as possible as to blur the lines between his "lineups" and real members.  fortus and frank are employees and matt is a real member, axl will not allow that perception, because he wants CD and anyone who played on it to be thought of as real gnr.  i believe axl will spend the rest of his days trying to legitimize the decades he spent destroying gnr and his own legacy, because otherwise he would have to admit he fucked up, CD failed, and his solo bands failed despite changing lineups every five seconds, regardless if YOU like axl's solo band and album, the MASS MAJORITY knows it was all bullshit and never went for it and never will.   

sorry axl, you fool no one.  there is no GNR without actual members of GNR in the band… if you get a minute, tell angus.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Original said:

For Axl/TB- possibly.  For Slash n Duff- obviously no.  And you'd think Axl wants someone who knows how to actually play the Guns catelog properly.  

Yea I miss the Axl of the early 90s who held GNR to the highest standards in the pantheon of RN'R. Always did everything he could to ensure fans were getting GNR's best every single night musically and vocally. That Axl left us somewhere 2007. Made a brief re-appearance in 2010 and then full time with AC/DC