Fortus on Slash & Duff: 'I Think We All Agree It Clicked Instantly' [Update Page 7 - ''I Don't Think This Band Has Ever Sounded Better Than It Does Right Now'']

I don't think it's fair to dock Fortus for not being a megafan of Guns before he joined. The idea back then was to move past the AFD sound (which ultimately never happened) and create new music, so Axl was recruiting new blood from all types of genres. After CD was released and Axl's vision kinda went under, than they hired a huge Guns fan to recreate the AFD sound (Ashba).

53 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don't think it's fair to dock Fortus for not being a megafan of Guns before he joined. The idea back then was to move past the AFD sound (which ultimately never happened) and create new music, so Axl was recruiting new blood from all types of genres. After CD was released and Axl's vision kinda went under, than they hired a huge Guns fan to recreate the AFD sound (Ashba).

Well -- the thing is that him and Tommy Stinson seem almost dismissive towards Guns until they actually joined Guns and realized that the bands that influenced GnR (especially Stradlin' and Duff) were their influences. 

Buckethead was apparently a Guns and Axl fanboy from the outset and Bumble was also a fan of Guns. 

Fair enough, let's not hold that against them but admittedly it's awkward, when someone like Tommy or Fortus were pretty much saying (in a polished way) that they thought Guns was another Motley Crue style hair-metal band.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RONIN said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Matt doesn't put up with any shit and is very up-front about it. The ego he has doesn't help much either. Matt probably sees himself as a star on the level of Duff and Slash. Axl wisely sidestepped that potential nightmare. No way would Matt have put up with Axl and TB's style of doing things.

No way ANYONE should have to put up with Axl and TB's style of 'doing' things ...

• Like 2

On 11.5.2017 at 1:40 AM, RONIN said:

Well -- the thing is that him and Tommy Stinson seem almost dismissive towards Guns until they actually joined Guns and realized that the bands that influenced GnR (especially Stradlin' and Duff) were their influences. 

Buckethead was apparently a Guns and Axl fanboy from the outset and Bumble was also a fan of Guns. 

Fair enough, let's not hold that against them but admittedly it's awkward, when someone like Tommy or Fortus were pretty much saying (in a polished way) that they thought Guns was another Motley Crue style hair-metal band.

I had always the impression that neither Buckethead nor Bumblefoot was a big Guns fan. Did they ever say the opposite?

14 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I had always the impression that neither Buckethead nor Bumblefoot was a big Guns fan. Did they ever say the opposite?

Bumblefoot said on several occasions that he liked GNR. He was in a cover band that covered some GNR songs, and did a pretty entertaining jazz/punk cover of SCOM (i cant find the video).

Buckethead never speaks.

Edited by Mendez

I find it hilarious that people get so appalled by the fact that Duff and Slash rejoined GNR due to the vacancies of Tommy and BBF.

I kinda think it really hurts the egos of the fans of the old band that hated the post 94 band and refused to recognize it as GNR... but now you have Duff and Slash on stage with the likes of Frank playing CD songs... and classic fans heads are spinning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mendez said:

He was in a cover band that covered some GNR songs.

it's true he was in a cover band, axl's lawyers enabled that band to be called Guns N' Roses.  

28 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

I find it hilarious that people get so appalled by the fact that Duff and Slash rejoined GNR due to the vacancies of Tommy and BBF.

I kinda think it really hurts the egos of the fans of the old band that hated the post 94 band and refused to recognize it as GNR... but now you have Duff and Slash on stage with the likes of Frank playing CD songs... and classic fans heads are spinning!

it wasn't due to vacancies, axl crawled back to slash and duff after realizing his solo band and solo record were failures, then slash and duff agreed to play with him.  they are playing CD songs to appease the singer not because they want to, it's an olive branch.  And the only reason employee drummer frank is there is because axl is threatened by Matt and refuses to admit Steven is the best drummer he's ever played with.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Can you blame them? They have to put up with the likes of a failed incarnation of the band that was playing bowling alleys and birthday parties by the end. All because Axl is too proud to admit that the last 20 years have been a total failure.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RONIN said:

Can you blame them? They have to put up with the likes of a failed incarnation of the band that was playing bowling alleys and birthday parties by the end. All because Axl is too proud to admit that the last 20 years have been a total failure.

Post of the day. And don t forget having to see axl wear that god awful yellow coat. Would like to see his reaction if you showed that photo to him to a 91 era axl.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Guns N' Roses had become an absolute joke, Slash's return turned them into one of the biggest bands in the world again and they're playing huge stadiums all over the world like they used to do. I can't see how Slash fans could have their ego hurt. Regardless of the things he's done/accepted that I disagree with, I couldn't be prouder. He saved GNR.

Slash wasn't the one who wanted to bury Appetite and said "not in this lifetime", was he? These days seem to be way harder for those who claimed Slash was mediocre, GNR was gonna be better without him and Robin Finck was gonna be bigger than him in GNR. Gotta admit it was a close call, though :rofl-lol:

Im sure once axl saw the amount of people in the audience and how the tour was going during say , half way through the first US leg, he probably thought " should have done this years ago". That comes down to one thing.....ego. A man who cant admit that people are no longer interested in cd era GNR, it had run its course.  Slash has done numerous interviews in Australia and can talk about Appetite all day instead of axl who doesn't want to know and would rather talk about CD. Off topic its the illusion album recordings that Slash finds the hardest to talk about because of how the band dynamics were, it makes me more interested about the recordings of that timeframe. But at the end of the day at least he willingly talks openly about guns past whereas axl prefers to avoid any questions about the 86-93 lineup.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Guns N' Roses had become an absolute joke, Slash's return turned them into one of the biggest bands in the world again and they're playing huge stadiums all over the world like they used to do. I can't see how Slash fans could have their ego hurt. Regardless of the things he's done/accepted that I disagree with, I couldn't be prouder. He saved GNR.

Slash wasn't the one who wanted to bury Appetite and said "not in this lifetime", was he? These days seem to be way harder for those who claimed Slash was mediocre, GNR was gonna be better without him and Robin Finck was gonna be bigger than him in GNR. Gotta admit it was a close call, though :rofl-lol:

I completely agree. 

3 hours ago, ohmygod said:

That's kind of bullshit really... why would your ego be hurt?

Some fans of the old band just want the old band back together; and for a little while thought it may happen.

There is not much  wrong with wanting the original builders of GNR's massive legacy  to be included in today's story for the band, after all there are millions of dollars being made today on the songs, mythology and memories they helped create. That said, if those fans end up wishing harm to Frank etc would be ethically wrong, those dudes are just doing what any jobbing musician would do - take the check and feed the kids.

You seem to enjoy the idea of people feeling upset over this, meaning you're as emotionally invested as the people you are laughing at otherwise you just wouldn't give a shit one way or the other.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

A show at a bowling alley which you fail to mention was a warm up gig for the Governors Ball, where how many people watched the band? At a "bowling alley" which makes a point of hosting live music too (it's a famous music venue), didn't you hear? Did you also not hear how much they were paid to headline the G Ball?

They clearly didn't play a bowling alley because they had failed as a band as you like to make out, it was choice to play that venue and most bands play private parties too. Why are you trying to mislead fans? Why can't you post something truthful for once?

How can them playing a warm up gig at a small bowling alley for a massive headlining show in New York be evidence that they had failed and were left with no other option but to play bowling alleys? (which of course is your insinuation). Where is your logic? Up your Toyota Yaris along with your brains? That's like saying the current line up failed as their first gig was at the Troubadour, completely ignoring the fact that it was a warm up show for Coachella.

They chose to play that show at the bowling alley for fun, to warm up, the same way the current line up chose to play Troubadour for fun, warm up, give the fans a treat, etc. Nothing to do with what venues they can or cannot be a draw in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Would like to see his reaction if you showed that photo to him to a 91 era axl.

Oh, time travel? Good to see we're not limiting shit talking to only this reality but to all dimensions of space and time.

You want to travel back in time and show Axl a photo of his future self, supposedly to annoy or upset him? Wow, dude, wow.

Edited by MADDOGJONES

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

They have to put up with the likes of a failed incarnation of the band that was playing bowling alleys and birthday parties by the end. All because Axl is too proud to admit that the last 20 years have been a total failure.

At the time GnR were finishing up their european tour in 2012 with Izzy Stradlin when they had a call for that russian birthday party in St-Tropez because Prince had to turn it down. The show also featured Bryan Adams. The band was paid more than one million bucks for a hour set. Izzy was there too.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

At the time GnR were finishing up their european tour in 2012 with Izzy Stradlin when they had a call for that russian birthday party in St-Tropez because Prince had to turn it down. The show also featured Bryan Adams. The band was paid more than one million bucks for a hour set. Izzy was there too.

I'm sure it will be fine for @RONIN now that he knows Izzy was there too. Or is Izzy a failure too @RONIN?

Edited by MADDOGJONES
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im sure once axl saw the amount of people in the audience and how the tour was going during say , half way through the first US leg, he probably thought " should have done this years ago". That comes down to one thing.....ego.

i agree… the stadiums, the crowd sizes, the overall positive vibe, there's no way it didn't dawn on axl and Team Yes that THIS is guns and the fake lineups were just that… fake lineups enabled by lawyers.  fernando, too young to remember real gnr, must be blown away by the size and scope of this compared to his boss' days as a axl rose impersonator on the cover band circuit.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I'm sure it will be fine for @RONIN now that he knows Izzy was there too. Or is Izzy a failure too @RONIN?

it's not that anyone would begrudge axl and izzy for throwing a band together for a single night to pull in a ton of dough… it's the cheap way that axl had his lawyers grease him the gnr name and how he so arrogantly carried on with his solo band actually having the balls to call it gnr, acting like gnr's success was his and his alone.  without guns n roses axl rose is just a voice… he is just sabastian bach and his hired employees are just Skid Row.  

guns n roses was the Sistine Chapel… Axl's solo band was a strip mall… a strip mall with a mcdonalds, a walmart, a papa johns and a bumblefoot… and another douche with a corporate chicken bucket on his head.     

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Free Bird said:

No way I could find it now- but I swear someone in the Bucket camp (allegedly anyway) said that Bucket had enthusiastically bought the Illusions the day they came out, and always enjoyed certain cultural icons like Classic Guns, Michael Jackson, etc. Anyone else remember this?

As stated- Bumble appears to have been at least a casual fan back in the day...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

15 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

A show at a bowling alley which you fail to mention was a warm up gig for the Governors Ball, where how many people watched the band? At a "bowling alley" which makes a point of hosting live music too (it's a famous music venue), didn't you hear? Did you also not hear how much they were paid to headline the G Ball?

They clearly didn't play a bowling alley because they had failed as a band as you like to make out, it was choice to play that venue and most bands play private parties too. Why are you trying to mislead fans? Why can't you post something truthful for once?

How can them playing a warm up gig at a small bowling alley for a massive headlining show in New York be evidence that they had failed and were left with no other option but to play bowling alleys? (which of course is your insinuation). Where is your logic? Up your Toyota Yaris along with your brains? That's like saying the current line up failed as their first gig was at the Troubadour, completely ignoring the fact that it was a warm up show for Coachella.

They chose to play that show at the bowling alley for fun, to warm up, the same way the current line up chose to play Troubadour for fun, warm up, give the fans a treat, etc. Nothing to do with what venues they can or cannot be a draw in.

Thank you for so eloquently shutting down that lame bowling alley argument that's beyond flawed and shows just how petty the fans that hate the 02-14 era in fact are.

And to those fans. I can't make you accept facts, you can live with your pettiness, as your responses to my post only prove. But, why can't we all just at least respect all eras of GNR?!?  

*oh yea, and the birthday party they played was on an off night of a successful stadium tour across Europe.... sooo, again. Sorry about facts.

Edited by ohmygod

Just now, ohmygod said:

But, why can't we all just at least respect all eras of GNR?!?  

because there are no "eras".  there are no "lineups".  axl's solo band and solo record with no members of gnr were enabled by lawyers.  they were a cover band bullshitting people across the world.  

axl's "karaoke era" does not and will not hold up.  rock n roll history will take a giant shit on it.  this tour clearly proves and destroys any question that the last guns show was in 93 and they did not return until the Troubadour.   and thank god they did.  i can't imagine axl and Team Yes regret a second of any of this.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 2