Whats Your Regions Signature Sauce, Condiment, Topping?

soon

I mean anything from a dry rub spice blend to chutney, to BBQ sauce, to dressing, to dip.  Whats your regions extra thing?

I'll go first.

I live in Ontario, Canada. 

Mine would be Maple Syrup.  Close second would be Sauerkraut or Horseradish. Hope other Ontarians will add to my list too as theres certainly more.

Frying fresh water fish fillets in a coating of crushed Corn Flakes is another. And its a very multicultural place so others places signatures feel like they represent this area too. 

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I'm in England and i dunno what ours is but i would guess tomato sauce [heinz]:lol: and up North they have gravy on chips @Gracii Guns @MillionsOfSpiders :P

A lot of Heinz tomatoes are grown in a place in Ontario - Lemington - so I was actually gonna list it for here too. :lol:

Why about marmalade?  i always associated that with England

@Gracii Guns @MillionsOfSpiders,  I wouldn't have thought to pair Worcester with cheese toast, bit it sounds delicious!  I know its not the exact same, but I have some Worcester and am gonna try that.  Its interesting to me that its called a relish, as round here a relish would be something with diced pieces of vegetable in a vinegar.  Neat!

I live near Quebec where poutine is popular so theres lots here too.  Poutine is fries/chips, gravy and cheese curds.  Delicious.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, soon said:

Why about marmalade?  i always associated that with England

It is a very English Victorian thing, but not many people eat it. Marmalade is always served in tiny jars at hotel breakfasts though. 

I'm going to give Bovril an honourable mention in this thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

English mustard is the best, you walk a fine line between just the right amount or your sandwich making you cry. 

Master's Hot English is one step from Wasbi. Coleman's, Master's or Dijon (no brand loyalty to French people). You dog gammed moccies. 

3 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

English mustard is the best, you walk a fine line between just the right amount or your sandwich making you cry. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Master's Hot English is one step from Wasbi. Coleman's, Master's or Dijon (no brand loyalty to French people). You dog gammed moccies. 

Is it more concentrated with mustard seeds - what makes it hotter?

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Is it more concentrated with mustard seeds - what makes it hotter?

What makes mustard hot? The mustard seeds are not hot nor pungent at all until they are cracked or ground and mixed with a cold liquid. It is the chemical reaction between two compounds, myrosin, and sinigrin, that combines to turn up the heat when the cells of the seeds are broken and mixed with cold water. This combination results in a mustard oil that can actually cause burning or blistering when it comes in contact with the skin, so be careful when making your own mustard.

Wasbi is the answer. 

• Like 1

There was a rumour going around back in Redcar that Uncle Abdul's special sauce was being added to the garlic sauce at Mo's Palace kebab shop. They actually lost so much business they had to display a sign in the window that effectively said "we're not wanking in the garlic sauce". :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

There was a rumour going around back in Redcar that Uncle Abdul's special sauce was being added to the garlic sauce at Mo's Palace kebab shop. They actually lost so much business they had to display a sign in the window that effectively said "we're not wanking in the garlic sauce". :lol:

A place got done in my area for doing that.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

A place got done in my area for doing that.

Did they actually do it? I mean I've heard that rumour about all sorts of places but never actually seen it proven. It's a bit like the perennial "Alsatian in the freezer" at the local chinky innit? :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Did they actually do it? I mean I've heard that rumour about all sorts of places but never actually seen it proven. It's a bit like the perennial "Alsatian in the freezer" at the local chinky innit? :lol:

Well the health inspectors were involved

I really should've thought of this first:  1000 Island Dressing

I live pretty near one edge of the 1000 Islands.  Whereas Maple syrup is common in many places here.

Some love it, some hate it.  Lines of salad dressing companies sometime discontinue and re continue distribution of it even.

I like it a lot, even though I kinda forgot it exists for a bit.  It was made somewhere somewhat near here but there doesnt seem to be a regional pride for it and I dont see it used in restaurants or anything much.  No festivals in its honour I dont think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Island_dressing