11/24/17 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

gunsguy

6 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@soon No, the screech/squeak sound is beginning of 2nd solo right at the 4:25 mark.  I hadn't noticed the one you're pointing out so thanks!! Will go back and have a listen.  Shrill is a good word.  That's what it sounds like.  I like it.

Edit: the sound happens right on the 4:25 mark, so maybe go back a few seconds in case you miss it...

Gotta ya.  Right, I noticed that too. Thats what I was referring to as a harmonic over note.  The tone (maybe slightly unique here?) lets us really hear the articulation of the notes and we can even hear the pick hitting strings more.  I think at 4:25 we hear a accidental harmonic that is, I believe, a symptom of the shrill tone.   Im curious about this now!  Is there a slightly unique tone in this solo?  Is it for the crisper articulation - for the speed?  For creating feedback?  Have we just fallen too far down the rabbit hole, lol?  No, but seriously: good ear!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Gotta ya.  Right, I noticed that too. Thats what I was referring to as a harmonic over note.  The tone (maybe slightly unique here?) lets us really hear the articulation of the notes and we can even hear the pick hitting strings more.  I think at 4:25 we hear a accidental harmonic that is, I believe, a symptom of the shrill tone.   Im curious about this now!  Is there a slightly unique tone in this solo?  Is it for the crisper articulation - for the speed?  For creating feedback?  Have we just fallen too far down the rabbit hole, lol?  No, but seriously: good ear!

Reminds me of Brian May ie picking with a coin, that kind of metallic sound. I like it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soon said:

Ah! OK, yes I was wondering about the pick sound but didn't know what to call it -  that is so cool. 

omg 3:44! :drool:  I freakin LOVE that sound.  Go Slash! Go!  Sounds like a horse neighing. 

I don't think there's such a thing as falling too far down the rabbit hole where Slash is concerned, but I do wonder how many comparisons we can come up with to describe his various sounds? LOL  Now thinking the horse's neigh ties in nicely with the shrill horse's whinny for the intro to 2nd solo. :lol:  

He's really outdone himself on this one hasn't he?  I'm thinking next show they might roll out TWAT and will he have the 'crisp' tone down to finally claim Robin's solo?!? Hmmm...

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@soon No, the screech/squeak sound is beginning of 2nd solo right at the 4:25 mark.  I hadn't noticed the one you're pointing out so thanks!! Will go back and have a listen.  Shrill is a good word.  That's what it sounds like.  I like it.

Edit: the sound happens right on the 4:25 mark, so maybe go back a few seconds in case you miss it...

Im like 90% sure that the 4:25 screech is him picking the string. The ending feedback screech seemed accidental. As for his tone, im sure hes using a mpre trebley tone to cut through all the noises

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Ah! OK, yes I was wondering about the pick sound but didn't know what to call it -  that is so cool. 

omg 3:44! :drool:  I freakin LOVE that sound.  Go Slash! Go!  Sounds like a horse neighing. 

I don't think there's such a thing as falling too far down the rabbit hole where Slash is concerned, but I do wonder how many comparisons we can come up with to describe his various sounds? LOL  Now thinking the horse's neigh ties in nicely with the shrill horse's whinny for the intro to 2nd solo. :lol:  

He's really outdone himself on this one hasn't he?  I'm thinking next show they might roll out TWAT and will he have the 'crisp' tone down to finally claim Robin's solo?!? Hmmm...

The neighs and the whinnys!  Everyones favourite course at Berkley :lol:

He really is pushing hard.  No doubt he is poised to nail There Was A Time next!

Is Slash audible in the piano outro - cant hear on my set up currently?  Whats he doing over there by his speaker cabinet? 

I agree with @Mendezthat sound is from pick, I swear its a type of accidental pinch harmonic resulting from that.  Tone could certainly be just upping the treble on the amp.  Maybe some more compression on highs, too?  Theres a glassy tone, to my ears, that I associate with compression.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, soon said:

Is Slash audible in the piano outro - cant hear on my set up currently?  Whats he doing over there by his speaker cabinet? 

I agree with @Mendezthat sound is from pick, I swear its a type of accidental pinch harmonic resulting from that.  Tone could certainly be just upping the treble on the amp.  Maybe some more compression on highs, too?  Theres a glassy tone, to my ears, that I associate with compression.

Yes he is audible on the piano outro for about 7 seconds and finishes abruptly with a lovely sound that I can't think how to describe...it's er...crunchy?  A crunch sound. LOL  We need a little database of Slash sounds. :lol:  I think the Estranged dolphin is my favourite.  Didn't Buckethead have an elephant sound going? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

Yes he is audible on the piano outro for about 7 seconds and finishes abruptly with a lovely sound that I can't think how to describe...it's er...crunchy?  A crunch sound. LOL  We need a little database of Slash sounds. :lol:  I think the Estranged dolphin is my favourite.  Didn't Buckethead have an elephant sound going? 

Yes for data base!

Thanks for filling me in on Slash at the end.  Look forward to hearing that.  Sounds neat.

Buckethead elephant sound?  I dont seem to have that in my data base.  In general or in Prostitute?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes for data base!

Thanks for filling me in on Slash at the end.  Look forward to hearing that.  Sounds neat.

Buckethead elephant sound?  I dont seem to have that in my data base.  In general or in Prostitute?

I think that he might have confused it with the intro of Shackler's Revenge? 

Edited by Sosso
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes for data base!

In general.  @Sosso I don't know if it's Shacklers?  I never heard the mythical elephant sound myself...I still don't hear it, but that's what everyone else seems to hear. :lol:  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

In general.  I don't know if it's Shacklers?  I never heard the mythical elephant sound myself...I still don't hear it, but that's what everyone else seems to hear. :lol:  

Ahhh, I guess I could see what they mean.  I hear pterodactyl personally :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Ahhh, I guess I could see what they mean.  I hear pterodactyl personally :lol:

I had to google this...and the spelling is so mind boggling to me I just cut and pasted it. :D  Now I must listen Shackler's intro again to hear Buckethead's interpretation of an extinct flying reptile. lol

7 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

I had to google this...and the spelling is so mind boggling to me I just cut and pasted it. :D  Now I must listen Shackler's intro again to hear Buckethead's interpretation of an extinct flying reptile. lol

HAHAHA!  We should use an oscilloscope to compare the cry of the Pterodactyl to BH.... :lol: