Guns N' Roses 'Greatest' Hits Landmark 400th Week on Chart

According to Billboard, GUNS N' ROSES' "Greatest Hits" collection, which was originally released in March of 2004, has just logged its 400th nonconsecutive week on the Billboard 200 albums chart, making it just one of seven albums to spend at least 400 weeks on the list.

GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan tried to block the release of "Greatest Hits" with a lawsuit, claiming that the record label had assembled the CD without their input. The band's label, Geffen Records, insisted that it was forced to put out a greatest-hits album since Axl Rose had failed to deliver the long-delayed new GUNS album, "Chinese Democracy".

"Greatest Hits" debuted and peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart dated April 10, 2004 and has sold 5.93 million copies in the U.S.

Among the other albums that have spent at least 400 weeks on the list are PINK FLOYD's "The Dark Side Of The Moon" (927), JOURNEY's "Greatest Hits" (462) and METALLICA's self-titled album (432).

— Guns N’ Roses, Greatest Hits - No. 153 — Guns N’ Roses’ Greatest Hits logs its 400th nonconsecutive week on the chart, making it just one of seven albums to spend at least 400 weeks on the list. 

Guns N’ Roses’ Greatest Hits debuted and peaked at No. 3 on the chart dated April 10, 2004 and has sold 5.93 million copies in the U.S. The album spent 138 consecutive weeks on the list from its debut through the Nov. 25, 2006-dated chart. It then returned to the tally on Dec. 12, 2009, and has been a frequent (but not quite constant) sight on the chart.

Note: from May 25, 1991 until Dec. 5, 2009, older albums (often referred to as catalog albums) were generally barred from charting on the Billboard 200. Instead, they would chart on the separate Top Catalog Albums chart. Starting with the Dec. 5, 2009-dated Billboard 200, catalog albums returned to the chart, making it easier for titles — like Greatest Hits — to rack up long runs on the list.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/7817439/billboard-200-chart-moves-guns-n-roses-greatest-hits-landmark-400th-week-on

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-greatest-hits-landmark-400th-week-on-billboard-200-chart/

1000x1000.jpg

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 3

That's good news; I remember being 15 years old and being desperate to receive that album for Christmas. It's a solid introduction to early-era GN'R for those who might not have any other albums. 

I'd love to have seen this followed up by a "Best Of…" album. I know it's a bit Aerosmithy, but the track listing doesn't represent everything really good that GN'R did over those years. 

• Like 2

The only reason they should release another best of is, the first one is SO bad. There are so many covers, Since I don't have you, Sympathy for the devil? I actually do like SIDHY but my god, are we seriously saying Guns don't have another more deserving fan favourite that could have been added instead. 

The topic has probably been talked about a thousand times though, so I'll leave it there :D 

But, it is cool that people are buying GNR records.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marie82 said:

I agree, we need another one. 

They have so many great songs.

yes, they do have a lot of great songs.t if they release a 2nd greatest hits with songs that werent on the 1st greatest hits, they will have released a big portion of their catalog. this would take sales away from of afd, uyi's, spaghetti, and cd. theyve studio released 78 songs. assuming the 2nd greatest hits album was 14 songs as well, they wouldve re-released  over 1/3 of all music theyve released.

2 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

That's good news; I remember being 15 years old and being desperate to receive that album for Christmas. It's a solid introduction to early-era GN'R for those who might not have any other albums. 

I'd love to have seen this followed up by a "Best Of…" album. I know it's a bit Aerosmithy, but the track listing doesn't represent everything really good that GN'R did over those years. 

would love a Best of, that would be great :)

2 hours ago, Marie82 said:

I agree, we need another one. 

They have so many great songs.

But not so many albums. Many non hardcore fans wouldn't buy them when most of the songs are already included in a GH/best of

Edited by Sosso

43 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

7 albums that spent 400 weeks.. what are the others?

"The others: Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of the Moon (927), Johnny MathisJohnny’s Greatest Hits (490), the My Fair Lady original cast recording (480), Bob Marley & The Wailers’ Legend (471), Journey’s Greatest Hits (462) and Metallica’s self-titled album (432). "

I was curious too. ;)

• Like 1

Not sure if this speaks more to how great the album is or how shitty music has been since 2004.

It's an amazing milestone, but 2004-2005, for me at least, were part of the warning years of a period where artists produced enduring and ubiquitous music.   

Again, nothing to take away from the material on the album.  Almost all songs on the album will be played for decades or centuries to come.  

It's a cool album, and remember it hanging around in the charts here in the UK almost endlessly back in 2004, there were tv adverts for it and everything. 

It also was the first time I had heard 'Sympathy' having spent the previous ten years thinking it was a different song, was quite a surprise when it came on :lol:.

edit: I had heard it, probably once or twice before (my friend had the single, from the movie), the memory of the song had completely left my brain by the time Greatest hits came out.

Edited by Carburetta

• 1. "Welcome to the Jungle" Slash, Axl Rose [Appetite for Destruction]
  • 2. "Sweet Child o' Mine" Slash, Rose, Izzy Stradlin [Appetite for Destruction]
  • 3. "Patience" Stradlin [G N' R Lies]
  • 4. "Paradise City" Stradlin, Slash, Duff McKagan, Rose [Appetite for Destruction]
  • 5. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (Bob Dylan cover) [Use Your Illusion II]
  • 6. "Civil War" Rose, Slash, McKagan [Use Your Illusion II]
  • 7. "You Could Be Mine" Stradlin, Rose [Use Your Illusion II]
  • 8. "Don't Cry" Stradlin, Rose [Use Your Illusion I]
  • 9. "November Rain" Rose [Use Your Illusion I]
  • 10. "Live and Let Die" (Paul McCartney & Wings cover) [Use Your Illusion I]
  • 11. "Yesterdays" Rose, West Arkeen, Del James, Billy McCloud [Use Your Illusion II]
  • 12. "Ain't It Fun" (The Dead Boys cover) ["The Spaghetti Incident?"]
  • 13. "Since I Don't Have You" (The Skyliners cover) [Spaghetti Incident?"]
  • 14. "Sympathy for the Devil" (The Rolling Stones cover)

Only three songs from Appetite on Greatest Hits.

• 5 Covers
  • 3 Appetite/1 Lies/3 UYI I/4 UYI II/2 TSI
  • 7 Rose/5 Izzy/4 Slash/2 Duff
Edited by Silent Jay

Wow .. 400 weeks??  

Is unbelieveble how gnr haves so many acomplishments with so little work.  

Just 4 albums of original stuff and its enough for them to reconquer the world whenever they feel like.   They were that unmatchablely ENORMES.

That "greatest hits" had no promotion at all, the band didnt existed by then, and yet the álbum was number 3 on billboard and now its just the 7th álbum ever to reach that (plus it has sold 6 million copys and counting).  

When u think about it, the álbum was just ONE NEW ORIGINAL song short and a little promo from being number 1.  Its insane.. But thats just another proove of how giant, diferent and special Guns N' Roses is and was.    (How nice is to say that in "present", )

November rain just reached 800 million views.  The most viewed vídeo on youtube for any band ever.  ( and if u put togheter all the non vevo/oficial nr vids is close to 900 million views)

The second most viewed vídeo ever for a band?? SWEET CHILD..  with 488 million views ( more than 550 million if u include the non vevo scom vids)

What a band..  

• Like 2

This album could be a great addition to the catalogue if only they threw out the last three covers and replace them the missing originals like Nightrain, It's So Easy and Estranged.

It's a damn shame there are millions of people who think Sympathy For The Devil is a Guns N' Roses hit song and that GN'R don't have 14 quality songs without putting five covers on there. Live and Let Die and Knockin' are a must have but other covers have no business being there. 

To this day I boycott this album. I'll never buy it, even though I don't own a studio recording of Sympathy. It's my way of agreeing with Axl, Slash and Duff. :D

Edited by Sisyphus

6 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

This album could be a great addition to the catalogue if only they threw out the last three covers and replace them the missing originals like Nightrain, It's So Easy and Estranged.

It's a damn shame there are millions of people who think Sympathy For The Devil is a Guns N' Roses hit song and that GN'R don't have 14 quality songs without putting five covers on there. Live and Let Die and Knockin' are a must have but other covers have no business being there. 

To this day I boycott this album. I'll never buy it, even though I don't own a studio recording of Sympathy. It's my way of agreeing with Axl, Slash and Duff. :D

It's the only album I don't have either. Daimn I even bought CD :lol:.

I have to admit that I own the Sympathy single.

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

I get the too many covers thing but Ain't it Fun and SIDHY are great.

Never understood the love for SIDHY. To me it's clearly the worst single choice EVER by any incarnation of Guns.

Edited by Free Bird