The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I agree he has bad moments in the states but comparatively the NA leg is still superior to the current leg in terms of vocals but Europe wins setlist forever

I think the whole tour would've sounded pretty mediocre had it not been for AC/DC. He clearly didn't prep for the Vegas shows as much as he did for those shows. NA leg is the product of him maintaining his voice for another AC/DC run. Since then, he hasn't felt the need to maintain that voice, for whatever reason.

The setlist on this leg is pretty awesome though. Shame about the actual performances.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

15 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It is the same setlist from everywhere with just a few add-ons :blink:

I sometimes wonder if you are really keeping up with things...

this is a band with a hand full of albums and are playing 25-30 songs a night right now with a majority being the hits...these shows are 3 hours long now. The setlist is huge right now 

15 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I think the whole tour would've sounded pretty mediocre had it not been for AC/DC. He clearly didn't prep for the Vegas shows as much as he did for those shows. NA leg is the product of him maintaining his voice for another AC/DC run. Since then, he hasn't felt the need to maintain that voice, for whatever reason.

The setlist on this leg is pretty awesome though. Shame about the actual performances.

Maybe he was out to prove that GNR is mediocre with or without Slash haha he sabotaged the reunion until Angus saved it 

4 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I sometimes wonder if you are really keeping up with things...

this is a band with a hand full of albums and are playing 25-30 songs a night right now with a majority being the hits...these shows are 3 hours long now. The setlist is huge right now 

I do keep up with things, wtf

You talk as if the setlist was completely different from the other legs of the tour. It is not. It is just longer, but with the exception of "Black Hole Sun", they've played all those songs before (not in every show, I know).

Was with friends at the Prague concert. I was the one who was both most pumped and most let down by the concert. Wanted it to be perfect. It basically was clean vocals for the whole time. Most of the time the screams weren't really raspy, but pressed, idk, maybe like Brian Johnson, but it doesn't fit Axl (hell, I love Brian Johnson xD). 

So what can I say...was still a good show for me, as Axl was fucking happy, Slash and Duff where there, etc. etc. But all the excitement that was building up by seeing shows like Houston on YT, or the Axl/DC Clips, well...I feel rather disappointed. Not regretting going though. 

Also I kinda start to feel like there is the Angus effect. Compare Rosie from Hannover to Prague, Hannover is pretty great, Prague...well we rocked the fuck out, so we didn't hear the vocals too clear, but the difference is like night and day. I really, really, really don't want to feel like this, but Vienna 2010 was the better concert for me. Regardless of the personnel on stage.

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Someone got mad that I suggested his voice changed from leg to leg...but it's evidently stronger on some legs compared to others. Idk why, but he's shown since 2011 to sing awful on some parts of the tour then just turn it on like my examples of  the adjustment he made in 2013

Yeah, I remember the theory about Axl hating Australia. I don't remember the assumed reason though, was it the kangaroos?  :lol:

Anyway, seriously, I wonder about his vocal coach. He was at one of the recent shows (Belgium?). What he was doing there, tourism?

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

I wouldn't discard the possibility that his coach ias actually there to help him mickey shit. I wouldn't discard the possibility that he is being oriented to avoid rasp, to prevent a 2010-2011 like blowout or jeopardize the multi million tour.

Whenever Axl brings back a song that hasn't been performed in a long time, he sounds very similar to his old self on it. It happened to You're Crazy back in his darkest days, or yesterdays in 2014. Once it settles into the setlist it transitions to mickey.

Maybe he is being instructed on how to sing those songs cleanly

• Like 2

I was really concerned about Axl's vocals before going to the Stockholm show, I was afraid of his voice would ruin the experience for me and that it would overshadow the other musicians in the band but when I was there I couldn't care less about Axl's voice.
Yes, I did notice it. It wasn't like he's rasp was full on in person and not on YouTube as some posters seem to think but because of the volume, the excitement and the rest of the audience singing along it didn't matter at all. I loved the show even though Axl has sounded millions times better in the past. As a major bootleg collector I downloaded a FLAC recording of the show a couple of days ago and even though you can hear Axl's clean vocals and Slash's mess ups during SCOM and NR clear as day I still love it, that recording brings back memories of one of the best days in my life. 

What I find funny is that the main thing non hardcore GN'R fans that attended the same show as me seem to point out as the only bad thing about the show was Slash's solo that went on for almost 10 minutes.

Even if you are concerned about Axl's voice, see them when they come to your area. You won't regret it!

• Like 2

I went to Madrid show and i did realized.And yes many people around me said the same.Some of then havent heard anything from Gnr since 93....when Axl face appered in the big screens where like "holy shit WTF happened to him" LOL. they enjoyed the show but they said Axls voice is gone.

The big issue at the moment is not only are people at the show starting to notice Axl's voice but he's missing notes and off key. So you factor these things together and now you have a singer who will stand out and not blend into the sound to mask his inability to project his voice with power. 

Maybe he's having hearing issues at the shows currently...it will be interesting to see what happens as they get back into arenas. 

• Like 1

Hearing problems for the whole tour? I dont think so. 

But he sure has a problem, we dont know what it is, but he sure does. Everyone loved what he did for AC/DC but he wasnt even singing there, it was just screamin he mickeyd every song that needed a little extra control like in GNR.
Unfortunatelly I think he lost his voice after 2006-2010 tours and this is all he has left. 

2 minutes ago, default_ said:

Hearing problems for the whole tour? I dont think so. 

But he sure has a problem, we dont know what it is, but he sure does. Everyone loved what he did for AC/DC but he wasnt even singing there, it was just screamin he mickeyd every song that needed a little extra control like in GNR.
Unfortunatelly I think he lost his voice after 2006-2010 tours and this is all he has left. 

Far from screaming

pure control, beautiful vocals...I could go on and on

• Like 3

The one song that he didn't use much rasp on was TNT...particularly the beginning but as you see when he gets to the middle of the song he starts bringing out that rasp. 

plus TNT is meant to be sang in this chilling/cool voice...I wish Axl did it more in his own style but he was trying to stay true to Bon here

8 hours ago, WhazUp said:

You listen to some shows in the 90's and some of them are very inconsistent as well - even though the reason why they were not good may be different than the off nights that take place now.  Like I think some of those shows in the 90's sound like he gargled too many razorblades before the show, whereas now it sounds like he hasn't gargled enough razorblades :P

I mean Axl Rose is now a singer in his 50's who is still tasked with commanding a stage with a very demanding vocal style.  I guess maybe I have reached a point where I am just tired of being so overly critical of everything GNR related.  The vocals are what they are, regardless I am sure the concertgoers are having a great time nonetheless.  

Absolutely nailed it. The scrutiny of Axl's voice on here is fucking hilarious.

• Like 2

In my opinion he's passable still.If you compare him to David lee Roth ,Vince Neil he's great .Those 2 are finished  I seen live in the last couple years and they were awful it ruined the show for me .Axl can still pull it off .Look he's 55 no way no how is he going to sound like he did 20-30 years ago.Bono doesn't ,Hetfield doesn't no one does .Eddie Vedder still sounds great to my ears live .Anthony Keidis sounds almost as good as he did years ago.But most off if not all of the bands I've seen with 20 -25 years in between the first time and now have lost a bit of power .Time is undefeated.

34 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I don't see effort as an issue, you watch him live and he's giving everything he has, but I think the technique is flawed that he's using 

I agree with this but... how come the vocal coach didnt tell him this? Or adviced him about it?

There must be something else going on or he's still unapproachable regarding this issue.

44 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I agree with this but... how come the vocal coach didnt tell him this? Or adviced him about it?

There must be something else going on or he's still unapproachable regarding this issue.

Yea only thing he's mentioned about vocals is he does a ton of exercises prior to and after performing. We know his vocal coach went to every stop during AC/DC but we don't if he's following GNR or just made that one appearance. 

Axl has been asked about his vocals on here and in other places before but he typically deflects the question into a joke or something to avoid answering...I'm not sure if he's a no excuses guy or what but if people gave me a hard time about my skill I'd be like "look I've had vocal surgeries, I'm getting old, I smoked, I drink...I've done what I can to preserve my voice but at the end of the day this is all I have"

however now that we have the AC/DC shows it makes the situation more confusing in that now we wonder if he's trying harder here or there or what's going on...you can't tell you're not capable of being great still when you go do 20+ nearly flawless shows with Angus 

15 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl has been asked about his vocals on here and in other places before but he typically deflects the question into a joke or something to avoid answering...I'm not sure if he's a no excuses guy or what but if people gave me a hard time about my skill I'd be like "look I've had vocal surgeries, I'm getting old, I smoked, I drink...I've done what I can to preserve my voice but at the end of the day this is all I have"

Yes. He could totally win everyone over by saying the truth of it all but he's always been like that. With every topic of his life. He lets people think and assume everything they want about him. He never defends himself. Then he gets mad at people assuming shit.

I know it's tiring to be explaining oneself all the time but he could do it once and with the Internet we have today, those words wouldn't be lost forever. 

And yes, there's the AC/DC shows to prove he still has the rasp so it's a tricky situation, if he's going to make excuses, he's gonna get busted.

• Like 1