The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

26 minutes ago, spunton said:

Can we agree to disagree? I thought it was great at London everyone singing n jumping around.

I have to agree with @IncitingChaos PC has by far been the worst song at all 3 shows I've seen.  It is shit, the tempo is too fast, Axl butchers the intro by singing over Slash's solo and the whistle is all sorts of mis-placed.  Just a colossal cluster fuck really.  Glad you enjoyed it though :)

Edited by tsinindy

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

I have to agree with @IncitingChaos PC has by far been the worst song at all 3 shows I've seen.  It is shit, the tempo is too fast, Axl butchers the intro by singing over Slash's solo and the whistle is all sorts of mis-placed.  Just a colossal cluster fuck really.  Glad you enjoyed it though :)

It was a great end to a great gig, I ain't no musician just a fan! So you may well be correct I didn't notice any of the above was too busy having a great time n enjoying it. 

1 minute ago, spunton said:

It was a great end to a great gig, I ain't no musician just a fan! So you may well be correct I didn't notice any of the above was too busy having a great time n enjoying it. 

Again that's a credit to the people around you and location. We really are terrible in the US at getting lost in the moment...we tend to watch the moment haha 

10 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Again that's a credit to the people around you and location. We really are terrible in the US at getting lost in the moment...we tend to watch the moment haha 

It cant be that bad in America ? Guess you guys get spoilt n maybe don't quite appreciate what a great event is, as you have so many?!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

That's a shame, people in the UK know how to have a good time haha. 

ive seen them 6 times since 2010 and not once did i find axl sounded like shit. maybe it was because i was in the pit each time so didnt have that echo sitting all the way at the back or maybe i was just too drunk and was standing about 10 feet from a speaker each time but i have never heard the mickey voice live. only shitty part of the shows were the ashba/bumble/tommy/fortus solo spots... but they were spread out pretty nice for bathroom purposes... only thing that sucks now is missing TIL but whatever... im glad its usually right in the middle of the set but i really gotta make it count cuz im usually at least 12 beers deep at that point

3 hours ago, tbaugerud said:

I was in Stockholm. Just two, three songs were weak by Axl. He did good. 

He struggled most on Better, and CD songs. 

Overall the band wad fantastic. 3h 9min of magic. 

And to that stupid moron bashing Slash: 

Slash is the star of the current production. Very noticeable when you go to a concert. He is a fucking monster, and played three straight hours with total energy and commitment.

If you want to criticize Slash, I suggest you go wank off to some fucking shit metal band in stead. This is GnR. You clearly can't grasp the concept of that. 

I take it I'm the moron you so subtly referenced:lol:. Well, if that's the case... no. 1 I attended 2 concerts, both of which myself (a guitar player for 16+ years) and many of my other long time guitar playing / musician friends all agreed he was bending notes off pitch throughout the night, we all also all agreed that he used to be great at intonating a bend, listen objectively (if you can) to his solos on NV, KOHD and so on and then come back to me and say he's nailing those bends.

His rhythm guitar playing is on point, and he's very entertaining on stage... but he is THE lead guitar player, he makes that very clear throughout the show, so I critique him on his lead guitar playing more so than his rhythm.  

Now go to the corner, put on your dunce hat, schools in session ;)

• Like 1

Ever since the beginning Axl has had inconsistant vocals. I feel this is due to the nature of his singing style.

I also think all he needs to do is hit that fucking switch on occasion to really let it out, and possibly chooses not to.

AC/DC proved to me, just as many moments through out time since 2002 have proved to me, that Axl has never "lost" his voice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spunton said:

It cant be that bad in America ? Guess you guys get spoilt n maybe don't quite appreciate what a great event is, as you have so many?!

No, it is that bad in America. Everyone's always busy watching their personal space, checking their phones, chatting with their partner, discussing what groceries to bring home the next day and the list goes on. There's no fun in going to an American show unless it's a really small venue or you're able to block all that's going on around you, which is hard, you know, with people passing you by all the fucking time to pick up their umpteenth drink.

On 08/07/2017 at 0:13 AM, Pedrolg said:

So, let's do as asked and avoid clogging the show threads with discussion, and discuss Axl's voice freely.

Here's what I have to say: Axl has sounded consistently bad on this leg, and increasingly worse since 2016. He always got better this many shows into it, it's not happening this time. On every show now I can see him fail to get that bit of rasp and right tone at parts where he used to, even when not on his best nights, such as bits of Jungle, "while your breaking down my neck" on YCBM, "Tongue like a razor" in RQ, "To break the charms" on Better, most of My Michelle etc etc. The tone on his clean voice has got a lot worse, and mickey is fully back. I've been watching and listening to stuff from 2011-2013 lately and he is better on those than he is currently.

Now, there might be a measure of preservation in there, but it would make zero sense for him to take the level of performances down a notch, after what he consistently did last year, which was already a contained effort when compared with Axl/DC. Also, choice wouldn't explain the lack of rasp on parts where it had been present even after 2011.

I think Axl's voice might be on it's last legs. Maybe we are seeing the last of his banshee, high note hitting sing voice, with or without rasp. What we call rasp is being used less and less, and, imo, this leg has many clear moments when it seems Axl wants to use it but it's just not there. I wouldn't be surprised if him not releasing material that is already recorded has to do with the voice on that material being gone. Maybe we should just cherish whatever is left. 

Lack of warming up before shows due to not caring as much this far into the tour. Nothing to do with his voice being on its last legs at all, if it was it would be a gradual decline but it's sudden between legs. Choice doesn't mean choosing to sing that way, it means choosing to not prepare correctly and maintain a level of excellence that he did last year and for AC/DC due to complacency. What is it with people on this forum and their dramatic conclusions and failure to even begin to comprehend the psychology of actually being on tour for nearly two years and playing the same show over and over? It's just a job. Do you work as hard as you did now compared to the first 6 months or so of your employment?

Axl is lazy and concert goers love his performance even when he's not 100% so why should he bother preparing properly for every show if he can get away with it? (I wish he would btw) but none of this means he's "on his last legs."

• Like 1

New to the forum so go easy heh. With regarding Axl's voice I just don't understand how he can sound so awesome on the AC/DC material and for the most part god awful on the current European leg with guns (most of 2017 come to think of it). Are AC/DC songs just easier to sing technically than gnr?

I also don't get this current trend of people claiming the youtube vids are not doing his voice justice. I saw nuguns back in 2006, he was fecking awesome there in person and just as awesome in the youtube vids.

7 minutes ago, Joolsy said:

New to the forum so go easy heh. With regarding Axl's voice I just don't understand how he can sound so awesome on the AC/DC material and for the most part god awful on the current European leg with guns (most of 2017 come to think of it). Are AC/DC songs just easier to sing technically than gnr?

I also don't get this current trend of people claiming the youtube vids are not doing his voice justice. I saw nuguns back in 2006, he was fecking awesome there in person and just as awesome in the youtube vids.

AC/DC guitar parts can be classified as easier, but there's nothing easy about the vocals. Their band had two singers with 40 years worth of material...for one guy to step up and navigate 25+ songs of material in the way Axl did is nothing short of amazing. Most singers would have had to sing the songs in their style, Axl sang it true to Bon and Brian which was also incredible. 

Axl just hasn't changed his 11-14 style on gnr songs so you get what you get...it sucks knowing he can do more. 

1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

He should use that voice he is using in the verses on other songs that he struggles with, it sounds fucking awesome! 

Yeah, thats his chest voice. He never lost his voice. He doesnt use chest voice as oftenly because falsetto is easier. And he can reach high notes alot more easier with falsetto

45 minutes ago, onurbayrak03 said:

Yeah, thats his chest voice. He never lost his voice. He doesnt use chest voice as oftenly because falsetto is easier. And he can reach high notes alot more easier with falsetto

It's just a shame the falsetto sounds like a cross between Mickey Mouse and Herbert the peadophile from Family Guy....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RNRS said:

No, it is that bad in America. Everyone's always busy watching their personal space, checking their phones, chatting with their partner, discussing what groceries to bring home the next day and the list goes on. There's no fun in going to an American show unless it's a really small venue or you're able to block all that's going on around you, which is hard, you know, with people passing you by all the fucking time to pick up their umpteenth drink.

I can only think of a couple shows I've seen in the US where the crowd was actually engaged, and they were metal shows (plus the first GNR Vegas '16 show had a great vibe in the pit). Even when Guns did shows in smaller venues like The Joint though, the crowd wasn't very into it. In my experience, the crowds in BC (Vancouver mostly) are infinitely better than US crowds. The stadium show I saw in Seattle was cool, but weird crowd-wise too.

• Like 1