The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

48 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I do wish that a new recording would sound like Axl singing I Feel Good...that’s the voice Im looking forward to hearing.

He sounded so good on that song. That was a very old school sounding Axl and it didn't seem to cause too much strain or take too much effort.  I wish he would use that voice on more songs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm reasonably sure that IF we ever get more GN'R material it'll be the stuff from CD that Axl already recorded vocals for. 

I'll be disappointed if that's the case. Just release the cd stuff as is and actually make new music. 

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm reasonably sure that IF we ever get more GN'R material it'll be the stuff from CD that Axl already recorded vocals for. 

And I'm not going to complain about that.

From the sound of the vocals on 'Rock The Rock', his voice has changed. While they're not bad, he sings in the same style of 2017 (see 'Better', etc)

I'll take CD vocals over that anyday.

Man, I'm so split. I want new material; but I feel like itd take Axl about 2 years of rest to get his voice back in order. He's only had brief stints of breaks between the touring in '09, '10, '11, '12, some shows in '13, '14 and now nearly 3 years of touring for NITL. I'm surprised the man can even still shout, let alone sing. And by the way he also did the AC/DC tour. 

16 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Man, I'm so split. I want new material; but I feel like itd take Axl about 2 years of rest to get his voice back in order. He's only had brief stints of breaks between the touring in '09, '10, '11, '12, some shows in '13, '14 and now nearly 3 years of touring for NITL. I'm surprised the man can even still shout, let alone sing. And by the way he also did the AC/DC tour. 

I agree with the vocal rest but I don't think he needs 2 years.  Then again, recording that looney tunes song might have over taxed him, so yeah, give it 2 years.

Realistically I could see a bunch of Chinese tracks with Slash and Duff recorded parts, and possibly a couple collaborations freshly recorded with the current lineup. I honestly think that rasp just hurts at this point but he can do it. I think if he used rasp like in the Illusion tours Axl would blow his voice out in a few shows these days. In the studio though, I am sure Axl can tear it up.

Hypothetical question- If the UYI lineup had toured in the mid-late 90s, do you think Axl still would have tried to take a cleaner approach to his vocals or would he have continued to sing in that damaging vocal style? 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

1 hour ago, MildlyArtistic said:

I really wish we'd gotten the re-recorded Appetite in some form. From what we've heard from Live Era, Axl's 1999 voice was kind of cool.

I would not have objected to hearing a different take on Appetite (maybe not as a full release, but maybe some box set bonus).

Appetite with You Could Be Mine instead of Anything Goes at that!

While I would have been against it being released on it's own (even back then), it would make for a cool bonus disc.

• GNFNR 1

I don’t know if someone noticed, but Axl rose sings better, I mean, with more power and drive. Specifically in Madison Square. And he did it both with GN’R and AC/DC. Does someone knows with there is a reason for that? Maybe they were recording the show in NY? I don’t think so.

3 hours ago, jpgulde said:

I don’t know if someone noticed, but Axl rose sings better, I mean, with more power and drive. Specifically in Madison Square. And he did it both with GN’R and AC/DC. Does someone knows with there is a reason for that? Maybe they were recording the show in NY? I don’t think so.

You're just gonna have extra juice when you play NYC in the world's most famous arena.  

I was at MSG Night 2 and while I enjoyed the show I thought there was plenty of falsetto (or "Mickey" as you guys like to call it).

I'm not reading this whole thread but has anyone noticed that sometime in 2017 he started singing the "Now I know you better, you know I know better" lines in a very strange projected voice that almost sounds like he's trying to belt it out Meat Loaf-style? It's very different from how he sang it on CD (or in any live performances prior to 2017) and it's kinda cool.

4 minutes ago, prez said:

I was at MSG Night 2 and while I enjoyed the show I thought there was plenty of falsetto (or "Mickey" as you guys like to call it).

I'm not reading this whole thread but has anyone noticed that sometime in 2017 he started singing the "Now I know you better, you know I know better" lines in a very strange projected voice that almost sounds like he's trying to belt it out Meat Loaf-style? It's very different from how he sang it on CD (or in any live performances prior to 2017) and it's kinda cool.

I first noticed it on the Apollo soundboard. I had stopped following the fan recorded videos of the shows by that point.

I don't mind that voice. It took a minute to get used to though.

It's the weak verses that ruin the performances of Better.

• Like 1

I went back to 06 to find a nasally performance from Axl because I felt like that was the most nasally his vocals ever were and the first video I go to is Patience being sung like it’s 80’s Axl. It sounds like the AMA performance from 89 with the tempo and his voice is clear with most of the nasal vocals gone. Probably the best version I’ve found come across since the 90’s. 

I know Patience doesn’t have a lot of difficulties and most sound the same, but this one stands out to me for its clarity. Sometimes I feel like Axl sang it in a joking way. This one feels like he just got done writing the song with Izzy and is trying it out. 

• Like 4