The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

54 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Yeah I was shocked too after Berlin show. The other shows where Nightrain was failed you were reffering to are Download and Mexico I think. 

Yeah I haven't heard a bad it's so easy yet. The worst one I heard was propably from Rock In Rio but it still sounded good. Generally first 3 songs always sounds good. Jungle is still decent but in 2016 it sounded much better. And Double Talkin Jive always sounds great too. The Seeker, Don't cry and Patience are pretty consistent too. I agree about SOYL. Some versions are great and the other ones are almost unlistenable because of falling out of sync. But talking only about his voice it was consistently very good. Maybe he should do more high paced songs like that. Reckless Life? Nice Boys? You're Crazy? They should give it a try. Shame that he can't sing YCBM properly anymore.

Maybe they should set Frank's click track to double the tempo of Perfect Crime for every song, they could do an entire show in like 15 minutes.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, sl4yer said:

You're Crazy?

This is the song I think he'd sound the best on, if they don't play it fast.

When he has time to sing/breathe properly (and isn't screaming away like he does on SOYL) I think he could sound as good as he did in 2012/13. Or at least that's what I thought in 2016-17 (look at I Feel Good, for example).

I think the key would be to play the Lies version.... raise the tempo and he's fucked. The Lies one is better than the AFD version anyway. I wish they'd bring the acoustic set back on the next tour, drop the covers in favour of You're Crazy, You Ain't The First, maybe Move To The City, they can keep Wichita Lineman... Patience and Wichita Lineman were among the best songs in the set for 2017-18, IMO.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

At the end of 2018 Axl's voice was in fairly good shape - but to my ears he lost (from 2017) the ability to hit very high notes more clearly - it sounds like he's having a tougher time now and i sounds kind of too distorted. 

It's a mistery how he's voice will sound this year but my expectations are pretty low. Hope I'm wrong!

He was was getting better and better (for example look at WTTJ in Hong Kong night 2, best in 2018 for sure) until this Abu Dhabi show happened. I think his voice was in overally better shape in EU leg. Sure, the Berlin show was terrible but so was Mexico show..  Look at this This I Love for example. After first chorus he is actually laughing at how bad he sounds Lol

And he couldn’t even redeem himself on this song so they had to drop it. In EU leg he ruined it a few times but he nailed it later in Moscow for best example.

So yeah my expectations are pretty low too but I still have a hope

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sl4yer said:

He was was getting better and better (for example look at WTTJ in Hong Kong night 2, best in 2018 for sure) until this Abu Dhabi show happened. I think his voice was in overally better shape in EU leg. Sure, the Berlin show was terrible but so was Mexico show..  Look at this This I Love for example. After first chorus he is actually laughing at how bad he sounds Lol

And he couldn’t even redeem himself on this song so they had to drop it. In EU leg he ruined it a few times but he nailed it later in Moscow for best example.

So yeah my expectations are pretty low too but I still have a hope

What the fuck happened there?

Usually a little part of me dies everytime that song gets butchered, but that was actually hilarious.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

He killed TiL every night in 2016. Damn, I didnt realize how bad it got

In asian leg last year he killed it every night too. He killed it so much that it got dropped out of setlist :axl:

On 20/02/2019 at 11:12 AM, sl4yer said:

Yeah I was shocked too after Berlin show. The other shows where Nightrain was failed you were reffering to are Download and Mexico I think. 

Yeah I haven't heard a bad it's so easy yet. The worst one I heard was propably from Rock In Rio but it still sounded good. Generally first 3 songs always sounds good. Jungle is still decent but in 2016 it sounded much better. And Double Talkin Jive always sounds great too. The Seeker, Don't cry and Patience are pretty consistent too. I agree about SOYL. Some versions are great and the other ones are almost unlistenable because of falling out of sync. But talking only about his voice it was consistently very good. Maybe he should do more high paced songs like that. Reckless Life? Nice Boys? You're Crazy? They should give it a try. Shame that he can't sing YCBM properly anymore.

Lol reckless life he would struggle with the breathing required. I love the song but it would be a struggle like coma.I think he should focus on changing the setlist to do the first half of the show rockers and the quick songs and in the second half have ones he can slow his pace scom, lald, kohd ,  and maybe use his lower register like bad obsession as an example.

People saying they've never heard a bad Its so Easy, lol. Of course you haven't.. because it's easy to sing, especially for Axl as its all in low register apart from a bit at the end. This is why he opens with it, it's the best to warm up with rather than going straight into a high pitched screamer. Also why Scott Weiland felt comfortable singing it (he didn't do any high pitched GnR songs because he would have sounded rubbish).

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Lol reckless life he would struggle with the breathing required. I love the song but it would be a struggle like coma.I think he should focus on changing the setlist to do the first half of the show rockers and the quick songs and in the second half have ones he can slow his pace scom, lald, kohd ,  and maybe use his lower register like bad obsession as an example.

I heard the same things about Shadow Of Your Love..

I believe that if he would work his ass off and do reherseals with band he would be able to do it

7 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

People saying they've never heard a bad Its so Easy, lol. Of course you haven't.. because it's easy to sing, especially for Axl as its all in low register apart from a bit at the end. This is why he opens with it, it's the best to warm up with rather than going straight into a high pitched screamer. Also why Scott Weiland felt comfortable singing it (he didn't do any high pitched GnR songs because he would have sounded rubbish).

Plus Duff is backing him up.

• Like 1