The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

The voice cracks are here to stay. But nonetheless it was still a solid show. Mickey sounded powerful a lot of times.

For this being the first show, it was OK I guess. He will get better but as someone above said, I'm not expecting 2016 vocals.

The Austin City Limits livestream could be interesting.

I already wrote that in the show thread: I've only listened to Jungle and PC so far, the rasp seems to be not there, but his clean voice sounds strong.. The clean voice on PC sounds almost as strong as in 2016 which I prefer to the forced and uncontrolled rasp of the US shows in 2017

I think we should all accept that ageing sucks and he won't sound like 2006 or 2010 anymore, let alone the 90s

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Listened to lots of the past few shows, and sadly Axl doesn't sound great. It's serviceable enough that I think he can still perform, but it's just not good. It's telling that he gave up TIL completely, as it used to be kind of his solo spot. He knows he has limitations at this point. I'd say his current level of performance is probably worse than 2012-2014.

It's one of the two things a) he came back with a point to prove in 2016, is pushing himself as far as he can but his voice is deteriorating with age, touring with GNR and AC/DC etc or b) his strong level of performances in 2016 are solely due to AC/DC forcing him into working on his voice through that year. 2011-2014, 2017-2020 is just regular Axl aging without a shitload of vocal exercise 

36 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Listened to lots of the past few shows, and sadly Axl doesn't sound great. It's serviceable enough that I think he can still perform, but it's just not good. It's telling that he gave up TIL completely, as it used to be kind of his solo spot. He knows he has limitations at this point. I'd say his current level of performance is probably worse than 2012-2014.

It's one of the two things a) he came back with a point to prove in 2016, is pushing himself as far as he can but his voice is deteriorating with age, touring with GNR and AC/DC etc or b) his strong level of performances in 2016 are solely due to AC/DC forcing him into working on his voice through that year. 2011-2014, 2017-2020 is just regular Axl aging without a shitload of vocal exercise 

Possibly he gave up TIL due to the fact that it's a pretty shit song and garners zero crowd response.

Just now, FabioRoses said:

Wrong, crowd always cheers him after the first chorus

If you say so. I guess the crowds at the 4 NITL shows I've been to are just too demanding. 

Like most CD songs, the majority of the crowds have no idea what TIL is. Yeah, they might clap but they're still not recognizing the song. And that doesn't change the fact that it's a pretty shit song that rhymes too much.

Just now, something.always said:

If you say so. I guess the crowds at the 4 NITL shows I've been to are just too demanding. 

Like most CD songs, the majority of the crowds have no idea what TIL is. Yeah, they might clap but they're still not recognizing the song. And that doesn't change the fact that it's a pretty shit song that rhymes too much.

Well, here in South America we all know TIL and there were great reactions to the song. 

I forgot about this thread! 

but TIL was excellent in 2016. It was Axl’s solo spot and he nailed it, his voice sounded brilliant here and the crowd was very appreciative.  (55:20 here)

then in 2017 he couldn’t do it anymore. Voice let him down it seems 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 1

I definitely think that it is just a case of him not being able to maintain those vocals throughout a three hour set and still sing comfortably. Marry that with running around stage for those three hours and you can see why he chooses to sing the way he does. I'm exhausted after running nevermind having to sing and do the proper breathing required to sing properly whilst doing it. 

4 hours ago, something.always said:

Possibly he gave up TIL due to the fact that it's a pretty shit song and garners zero crowd response.

Up until 2017 it always got a good crowd response, wtf are you talking about? :lol:

Vegas '16 and Seattle '16 he sounded really good on TIL, I'd even say that Seattle 2016 might have been the best performance of that song on the whole NITL tour. And the crowd was definitely cheering for him (especially after the first chorus).

When I saw them in 2017 he did botch it though... in Vancouver he honestly looked pissed off at himself for fucking it up.

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

I forgot about this thread! 

but TIL was excellent in 2016. It was Axl’s solo spot and he nailed it, his voice sounded brilliant here and the crowd was very appreciative.  (55:20 here)

then in 2017 he couldn’t do it anymore. Voice let him down it seems 

Wow, really amazed with this version. I don't recall his voice sounding this strong on the 3 shows I attended in '16-'17 (Paris, Werchter and Graspop Metal Meeting) 

20 minutes ago, Gaanzer said:

Wow, really amazed with this version. I don't recall his voice sounding this strong on the 3 shows I attended in '16-'17 (Paris, Werchter and Graspop Metal Meeting) 

Yeah man I watched this show the other day and was like wait what?? That was pretty great! Slipped by me.

• Like 1

His voice is in shambles. I really don't get it how he can keep delivering these terrible performances. I honestly can't watch it anymore. Gutted really. My favourite band becoming this. It doesn't matter if they play 3+ hours, it doesn't matter if the bring more deep cuts. As long as it sounds as terrible as this it's all irrelevant. To me at least.

He KNOWS he sounds like Mickey Mouse and he's just adding that voice more and more and more and more. And the whole Mickey thing is not even a joke or an exaggeration, he actually sounds like a cartoon mouse. Literally. Terrible.

Edited by Sisyphus

With vintage GNR he created a brand that was unsustainable over time. His vocals have relied on heavy screaming and power, and that's a lot easier to do in your 20s, 30s and even early 40s than it is in your 50s. The guy is pushing 60, and there's no "rasp" coming back. He is singing everything in a thin falsetto, because that's way out of his range. 

It is what it is at this point. It's disappointing that a singer you like, and even once idolized basically sounds like a joke now, but let me try going to the karaoke bar when I turn 55 and try singing Sweet Child or something, it'll probably be just as dreadful.

• Like 1

Im sure its been mentioned & discussed somewhere along these 80 pages BUT.....is there anything to be said for the fact that the Mickey Mouse voice is 100 times worse coming from phone videos as it is actually live?? Therefore people are blowing these Axl performances way out of proportion & this tour proves it. Iv been lucky enough to see Axl 3 times live in Ireland, 06, 2010 & 2017 Slane and could not fault his vocal performance (albeit he stormed off stage in 10' for over an hour). Anyway back to your bickering ;)

4 minutes ago, Jaygnr said:

Im sure its been mentioned & discussed somewhere along these 80 pages BUT.....is there anything to be said for the fact that the Mickey Mouse voice is 100 times worse coming from phone videos as it is actually live?? Therefore people are blowing these Axl performances way out of proportion & this tour proves it. Iv been lucky enough to see Axl 3 times live in Ireland, 06, 2010 & 2017 Slane and could not fault his vocal performance (albeit he stormed off stage in 10' for over an hour). Anyway back to your bickering ;)

Dublin 2010 had some of his best vocals due to him standing still :P 

I've always been able to notice it live, sounds the same as on YouTube to me.

On 24.10.2019 at 7:20 AM, Amir said:

Difference between TIL in 2016 and the last few times it was performed in 2018 was night and day. It was hard to listen to at the Tallinn and Oslo shows I went to in 2018, but great at Toronto in 2016.

That being said, TIL from Tallin was one of the best ones TILs in 2018. The ones from Berlin, Firenze or whole Asian leg were just painful

Generally he seems to be worse and worse year by year unfortunately. 2016 he was pretty good, in 2017 it got worse but most of shows were still not bad. In 2018 EU leg he was terrible in Berlin, then he was ok so I hoped his shape will be better for an Asian leg. But he was terrible again. This year, he wasn’t as bad as in Berlin in any show but he sounds pretty rought and it seems like it takes a lot of effort from him to achieve the rasp.

But I don’t think it’s his choice right now, he probably can‘t get much better from now. But it‘s Axl he can surprise us.

And @Pedrolg you’re right. He’s worse now than in 2012-2014. And it’s a big difference