The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Let's all hope for a second wind for Axl. How did he sound on You're Crazy @ Miami? Can't find a single video of it. Saw loads of performances of that song in 2012 and damn he sounded good on them.

Edit: found it. He tries so fucking hard on it. It doesn't sound bad, but it is VERY diminished when compared to 2012. He also goes for some pretty high notes and while he does reach them, his voice massively cracks. As I said before, I truly doubt it's a matter of effort.

Edited by Pedrolg

12 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Let's all hope for a second wind for Axl. How did he sound on You're Crazy @ Miami? Can't find a single video of it. Saw loads of performances of that song in 2012 and damn he sounded good on them.

Edit: found it. He tries so fucking hard on it. It doesn't sound bad, but it is VERY diminished when compared to 2012. He also goes for some pretty high notes and while he does reach them, his voice massively cracks. As I said before, I truly doubt it's a matter of effort.

I thought he was pretty good TBH - I’d try and avoid comparing to previous years as it’s a losing battle!

On 2/12/2020 at 5:27 PM, Pedrolg said:

Let's all hope for a second wind for Axl. How did he sound on You're Crazy @ Miami?

He didn't sound great but could have been worse. He was out of breath at parts and he didn't come off as very well rehearsed.  Mickey was there but he nailed the outro. The song overall with the whole band was still pretty good for their first time. Or at least good for when Guns do a song live for the first time..  I bet they cudl nail it after a couple tries. Hope they keep it.

Just listened to For Those About to Rock from 9/2 and it reminded me that Axl is 100% aware of when he's "got it" and when he doesn't.  It's just evident in his body language, his eyes, the way he moves on stage, and of obviously in his voice. 

When he knows he's on point, he has that extra swagger.  To me, this is 100% indication that he's not oblivious to how he sounds when he's all mickey.  He knows.  I just don't think there's anything he can do about it when he is mickey.  It just is what it is.

Look at some of the shows from 2006 (Rock Am Ring), 2010 (YCBM, O2 in 2010), and some of the early 2016 stuff.  He knows when he has it and when he doesn't.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dogman said:

When he knows he's on point, he has that extra swagger.  To me, this is 100% indication that he's not oblivious to how he sounds when he's all mickey.  He knows.  I just don't think there's anything he can do about it when he is mickey.  It just is what it is.

There might be something he could do. But I am not a professional so I have no idea if this would even work:

Finally got around to watching videos of most songs from the Miami show this year. Wow, Axl's voice is in shambles. It's at an all time low. His upper range is absolutely fried, whenever he goes for a high note the cracks are everywhere, even on basic stuff like "I wanna hear you scream" at Jungle. At every single video there a comments from casual fans puzzled after hearing how he sounded at the start of the reunion.

Imo it's really, really bad. Also he looks like he is putting in a lot of effort and trying really hard to sing. I think he might need a long layoff and a lot of work to sound good again. At this rate, with the endless touring he had reached the bottom and might keep digging.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Finally got around to watching videos of most songs from the Miami show this year. Wow, Axl's voice is in shambles. It's at an all time low. His upper range is absolutely fried, whenever he goes for a high note the cracks are everywhere, even on basic stuff like "I wanna hear you scream" at Jungle. At every single video there a comments from casual fans puzzled after hearing how he sounded at the start of the reunion.

Imo it's really, really bad. Also he looks like he is putting in a lot of effort and trying really hard to sing. I think he might need a long layoff and a lot of work to sound good again. At this rate, with the endless touring he had reached the bottom and might keep digging.

I think he's just starting to get old and is losing his range, unfortunate but you can sort of understand it given how unnatural his high voice is to pull off 

5 hours ago, Caedo said:

I think he's just starting to get old and is losing his range, unfortunate but you can sort of understand it given how unnatural his high voice is to pull off 

Its not just his range to, if you listen to better from miami you can hear hes struggling with breaths puffing and panting. At miami from 2 minute to 2.14 during better his singing is as bad as it gets. Cant get high notes and out of breath.As a huge fan its painful to hear.Fit 91 to 93 axl never struggled for breath this much.  Take the time and work on his singing and his upper range or just no longer do any high range songs and just focus on his lower register and start getting in shape. When he sings hes trying to put the effort, and hes trying,  but what hes wanting isnt coming out. 

I hope he gets his shit together for the shows starting next month.

Edited by Sydney Fan

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

I think that's the major culprit.

It can't help, BUT his voice in early 2017 still had that crisp and sharp sound to it, listen to Jungle from London 2017. Yes he isn't using as much rasp, but the core of his voice is still there, he still has a decent enough sound.

Compare it to now, his upper range is totally shot and sounds soooooo airy and weak. Whilst ACDC can't help, I suspect the 140 odd shows since ACDC probably has just caused some wear and tear combined with him just getting older. Indeed you can hear his voice get more tired and stretched from the back half of 2017 through to now. You can only go to that well so many times before it runs dry...

1 hour ago, koldbeer2 said:

It can't help, BUT his voice in early 2017 still had that crisp and sharp sound to it, listen to Jungle from London 2017. Yes he isn't using as much rasp, but the core of his voice is still there, he still has a decent enough sound.

Compare it to now, his upper range is totally shot and sounds soooooo airy and weak. Whilst ACDC can't help, I suspect the 140 odd shows since ACDC probably has just caused some wear and tear combined with him just getting older. Indeed you can hear his voice get more tired and stretched from the back half of 2017 through to now. You can only go to that well so many times before it runs dry...

Well of course, that's why I said "major". We'll never know any particular percentage, but the lengthy touring definitely "helped" a lot. Should have ceased to tour in 2017, I keep saying that. After Miami, I seriously cannot imagine what's coming this year...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Well of course, that's why I said "major". We'll never know any particular percentage, but the lengthy touring definitely "helped" a lot. Should have ceased to tour in 2017, I keep saying that. After Miami, I seriously cannot imagine what's coming this year...

Come on, you know the drill.  Axl will try to sing himself into shape as the tour progresses.

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Come on, you know the drill.  Axl will try to sing himself into shape as the tour progresses.

He will, but things are different this time. He is no longer physically able to sing stuff like This I Love. I reckon that will never hear him sing something like Twat ever again too. Not that those are essential songs, but he shows that his capabilities are diminishing. 

I seriously think he might be aware and considering touring until he is no longer able to.

53 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

He will, but things are different this time. He is no longer physically able to sing stuff like This I Love. I reckon that will never hear him sing something like Twat ever again too. Not that those are essential songs, but he shows that his capabilities are diminishing. 

I seriously think he might be aware and considering touring until he is no longer able to.

Well, the older you get the more you should exercise but the less you feel like doing it. This applies to a person's voice also. Things you could do, or sing, easily when you were younger are now more difficult.  You have to really work and push to stay ahead of it, I think that's where Axl is now.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:48 PM, dogman said:

Just listened to For Those About to Rock from 9/2 and it reminded me that Axl is 100% aware of when he's "got it" and when he doesn't.  It's just evident in his body language, his eyes, the way he moves on stage, and of obviously in his voice. 

Look at some of the shows from 2006 (Rock Am Ring), 2010 (YCBM, O2 in 2010), and some of the early 2016 stuff.  He knows when he has it and when he doesn't.  

I've been saying this for years but i'd go as far as to say ANY show from 2006-2010. From that first badass photo of him crouching the first night at Hammerstein to the last 2010 show. He had the presence and energy and moves as close to 1992 as he could realistically get. He knew he was owning it. He used to bow after the first TIL chorus when the audience popped every time. Makes it all the more weird that he has no shame and doesn't seem to care when he goes out and plain sucks and he's got Slash and Duff there listening to it in ear monitors. How he can sing like that Miami Better and look out at the audience, I mean FUCK. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 10:27 PM, Pedrolg said:

It's not the effort on stage that counts it's the enormous effort in preparation both vocally and cardio and core. He did 20 full rehearsals with AC/DC plus used his vocal coach for the first time in decades. Can't be fucked to do that for us so I ain't paying to go see him. Probably not even again even on a 'last tour ever' if he sounds like this or worse. 

• Like 4