My top 5 bands of all time

LikeADog93

6 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Townsend called him the most naturally talented drummer since Keith. Class.

Yeah, didn't he 'discover' him or something?  And wanted him for The Who, thats what I heard anyway.  Reni's a lot more by the book than Moon...and thats not a criticism, I mean to say he's sharper whereas Moon was just like some kind of lunatic one off freak accident of God that just happened to do everything right whilst doing everything wrong.  You can do things all wrong if you're really really REALLY good at it, if that makes sense at all.

Edited by Len Cnut

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah, didn't he 'discover' him or something?  And wanted him for The Who, thats what I heard anyway.  Reni's a lot more by the book than Moon...and thats not a criticism, I mean to say he's sharper whereas Moon was just like some kind of lunatic one off freak accident of God that just happened to do everything right whilst doing everything wrong.  You can do things all wrong if you're really really REALLY good at it, if that makes sense at all.

I think I've read he wanted him for his solo band or something? One of the best things I remember reading about Reni was that he received an offer to join Primal Scream (obviously when Mani was there) but turned it down because he 'couldn't be arsed.' :lol:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

I think I've read he wanted him for his solo band or something? One of the best things I remember reading about Reni was that he received an offer to join Primal Scream (obviously when Mani was there) but turned it down because he 'couldn't be arsed.' :lol:

He sort of didn't seen arsed generally after The Roses.  Strange for a man so talented.  Or not I suppose, when it comes natural to you perhaps you don't reckon much of it.  Or perhaps he just ain't about that life.  Fair play to him either way.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

He sort of didn't seen arsed generally after The Roses.  Strange for a man so talented.  Or not I suppose, when it comes natural to you perhaps you don't reckon much of it.  Or perhaps he just ain't about that life.  Fair play to him either way.

Yeah. He did a band called The Rub, very briefly, where he sang and played guitar but they didn't release anything, probably couldn't be arsed.

I can't do a top 5 cause there is too much stuff out there that I like so I gotta go to 11

1. Poppy

2. Monster Magnet

3. Skinny Puppy

4. The Ramones

5. Barkmarket

6. Alice In Chains

7. Watergh0st

8. The Doors

9. Black Oak Arkansas

10. Entombed

11. Lush

Edited by Jabberwocky

• 2 weeks later...

my top 5 list has to contain the following bands: Queen, Guns n roses, Nirvana, The Doors.

Queen: my "first" real band i got into. They have an incredible list of great songs, and great melodies. I tend to prefer their "unpopular" songs.

Guns n roses: the guitar player is really good. He's what made me pick up the guitar.

Nirvana: most interesting use of the guitar I have ever heard. It's almost guitar-painting the way Kurt plays at times.

The Doors: a relatively "recent" discovery of mine. I have all of their albums and I like each and every one of them front to back.

Now for the fifth band, it's a hard pick. There's The Beatles, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Jimi hendrix experience, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, The Rolling Stones.... I just can't pick. Though I really like The Stones and Sabbath. My problem with all of these bands is that, for me, there's too much songs I skip. When they're good they're very good, but I have to be in a certain mood (with the exception of the stones, some of their albums).

I think 4 top bands, and a rotating 5th, seems like a good deal though. Can't complain with that much awesome music to listen to.

Just now, action said:

my top 5 list has to contain the following bands: Queen, Guns n roses, Nirvana, The Doors.

Queen: my "first" real band i got into. They have an incredible list of great songs, and great melodies. I tend to prefer their "unpopular" songs.

Guns n roses: the guitar player is really good. He's what made me pick up the guitar.

Nirvana: most interesting use of the guitar I have ever heard. It's almost guitar-painting the way Kurt plays at times.

The Doors: a relatively "recent" discovery of mine. I have all of their albums and I like each and every one of them front to back.

Now for the fifth band, it's a hard pick. There's The Beatles, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Jimi hendrix experience, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metallica, The Rolling Stones.... I just can't pick. Though I really like The Stones and Sabbath. My problem with all of these bands is that, for me, there's too much songs I skip. When they're good they're very good, but I have to be in a certain mood (with the exception of the stones, some of their albums).

I think 4 top bands, and a rotating 5th, seems like a good deal though. Can't complain with that much awesome music to listen to.

In regards to Kurts guitar stuff theres a lotta prescedents to that, Sonic Youth bein the obvious one, I just mean if you like that kinda stuff.  Glen Branca too though thats kinda far out there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

In regards to Kurts guitar stuff theres a lotta prescedents to that, Sonic Youth bein the obvious one, I just mean if you like that kinda stuff.  Glen Branca too though thats kinda far out there.

I'll keep an eye on that band.

in the song "scentless apprentice", Kurt's guitar sounds like a monster from hell, moaning and groaning. I have never heard anything like it. It sounds like pain and madness. Madness is a theme that runs through nirvana's discography. I mean, take a song like "Hairspray Queen". What the fuck was that all about? That's brilliant!

44 minutes ago, action said:

I'll keep an eye on that band.

in the song "scentless apprentice", Kurt's guitar sounds like a monster from hell, moaning and groaning. I have never heard anything like it. It sounds like pain and madness. Madness is a theme that runs through nirvana's discography. I mean, take a song like "Hairspray Queen". What the fuck was that all about? That's brilliant!

Its also testament to the sense of humour to Nirvana, people miss out on this and Kurt and Nirvana get pegged as this maudlin moaney band, which they're not.  I mean they can be but they're certainly not defined by it, or even defined by 'teen angst', to be there's an immense sense of fun not only in how the band sounds but the lyrics, there is more of the pisstaking to Nirvana than just about anything else, in Kurts own words 'I'll write a few sincere lines and then I'll have to make fun of them'.  And the sound of the band, for as must as you have a point with the pain and madness bit, there's a great sense of like...exhuberance to it, I mean there has to be, I mean that, to me, is what slam dancing, crowd surfing relates to as much as 'getting out your frustrations' and all that corny shit, its an incredible about of exhuberant fun.  I remember Diesel Daisy a while back talking about a Nirvana song and how its about like, teenage wanking and how lame that was etc etc and it was like, I dunno, I was astounded because it was incredible to me that people can't see the pisstaking in that song, the lyrics to it, even outside of the chorus about wanking, are hilairious:

'This song is for lovers out there
And the little light in the trees
And all the flowers have gingivitis
And the birds fly happily'

He even puts on a stupid voice when he sings that bit in case you miss the point :lol:  And Hairyspray Queen is the same to me, I'll tell you what its about, its about being silly :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

41 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its also testament to the sense of humour to Nirvana, people miss out on this and Kurt and Nirvana get pegged as this maudlin moaney band, which they're not.  I mean they can be but they're certainly not defined by it, or even defined by 'teen angst', to be there's an immense sense of fun not only in how the band sounds but the lyrics, there is more of the pisstaking to Nirvana than just about anything else, in Kurts own words 'I'll write a few sincere lines and then I'll have to make fun of them'.  And the sound of the band, for as must as you have a point with the pain and madness bit, there's a great sense of like...exhuberance to it, I mean there has to be, I mean that, to me, is what slam dancing, crowd surfing relates to as much as 'getting out your frustrations' and all that corny shit, its an incredible about of exhuberant fun.  I remember Diesel Daisy a while back talking about a Nirvana song and how its about like, teenage wanking and how lame that was etc etc and it was like, I dunno, I was astounded because it was incredible to me that people can't see the pisstaking in that song, the lyrics to it, even outside of the chorus about wanking, are hilairious:

'This song is for lovers out there
And the little light in the trees
And all the flowers have gingivitis
And the birds fly happily'

He even puts on a stupid voice when he sings that bit in case you miss the point :lol:  And Hairyspray Queen is the same to me, I'll tell you what its about, its about being silly :lol:

great insights.

I used to hate nirvana, because they were popular / mainstream. But indeed, they go above and beyond what most people think nirvana is about. Enough so, that I've become very fascinated by their creativity.

Nirvana isn't one of these bands you'll play on your car radio, when you're driving with your girlfriend or something. Nirvana is one of those bands that are "personal" and best enjoyed while alone. I would hate for my girlfriend to sing along to a nirvana song, as it would reinforce my view of them being a popular band. As to me, Nirvana are as unpopular as they come. In no universe can a song like "tourette's" be called normal. They are weird, crazy, twisted, and highly intelligent. If I want to sing along with a rock song with my girl, I'll play an AC/DC song or something.

Edited by action

1 hour ago, action said:

great insights.

I used to hate nirvana, because they were popular / mainstream. But indeed, they go above and beyond what most people think nirvana is about. Enough so, that I've become very fascinated by their creativity.

Nirvana isn't one of these bands you'll play on your car radio, when you're driving with your girlfriend or something. Nirvana is one of those bands that are "personal" and best enjoyed while alone. I would hate for my girlfriend to sing along to a nirvana song, as it would reinforce my view of them being a popular band. As to me, Nirvana are as unpopular as they come. In no universe can a song like "tourette's" be called normal. They are weird, crazy, twisted, and highly intelligent. If I want to sing along with a rock song with my girl, I'll play an AC/DC song or something.

They've kind of become that way due to the way people approach music but y'know Nevermind, Incesticide, they're pretty car-playable, in accordance to ideas people have about car music.  And y'know, turn the amp off to Tourettes and its basically just three chords, verse chorus verse...what he's actually saying is down to the individual interpretation.  I can't listen to Nirvana anymore, not because my opinion on them has changed one bit, its just how many times can you shag the same 4 or 5 albums, especially when you've listened to em as a kid at that age where you kinda drive an album into the ground.  They suffer a lot from being overplayed but they're a fantastic band really, to get that much power and punch out of a three piece, I mean its not unprescedented, Cream etc but its quite unique in a punk context and I think thats how Nirvana need to be understood.

10 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Which one? Sonic Youth? Definitely worth checking out. They're pretty great.

cool ;) 

but first things first.

I've got half The beatles' catalgue yet to discover. I'm doing this rock music thing on my own terms, working my way through the discography back to front and already studied revolver, sgt pepper, white album, abbey road and 1 over the course of the last 15 years. great stuff in there. Guess you can call me a musical noob, I prefer to call myself lucky I'm able to discover some great music for the first time.

12 minutes ago, action said:

cool ;) 

but first things first.

I've got half The beatles' catalgue yet to discover. I'm doing this rock music thing on my own terms, working my way through the discography back to front and already studied revolver, sgt pepper, white album, abbey road and 1 over the course of the last 15 years. great stuff in there. Guess you can call me a musical noob, I prefer to call myself lucky I'm able to discover some great music for the first time.

I was in a similar situation growing up in that, apart from The Beatles and The Who, and less so the Who, I never really listened to any big bands, coming from a sort of a punk point of view and being more into that and hip hop I kinda missed out great chunks of whats kind of like...the rock fan 101.  Its nice though because you kinda discover it with a clear pallette. 

I'd say:

Cheap Trick

KISS

Guns N' Roses

The Beatles

Stone Temple Pilots

Jane's Addiction, The Stooges, Zeppelin and Jack White (all projects) are right up there

Then there are bands that maybe I wouldn't consider being as high on my list as those bands but I listen to them ALOT, like Mother Love Bone, The Kills, Ugly Kid Joe, etc.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm astounded, pleasantly astounded, how many people say The Stooges.

One of the highlights of all the shows I've ever been to was seeing them on the weirdness tour (so with both Asheton Bros still) and getting to hold Iggy Pop up in the air, on stage during No Fun and dance and sing with him. What a moment.

11 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

One of the highlights of all the shows I've ever been to was seeing them on the weirdness tour (so with both Asheton Bros still) and getting to hold Iggy Pop up in the air, on stage during No Fun and dance and sing with him. What a moment.

Had an identical experience at the Hammersmith Apollo in London.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

First 4 are equal really to some extent or another:

1. Guns N' Roses

2. The Beatles 

3. Metallica

4. Alice in Chains

5. Pantera

That being said if you're including solo artists, MJ would be on an even par with the top 4. Prince too probably.  Throw in Chris Stapleton as well if he can release something equal to his first two albums again. 

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Zeppelin, Sabbath and Eagles would sit just below all that.

11 hours ago, Johnny Drama said:

Throw in Chris Stapleton as well if he can release something equal to his first two albums again.

Respect. He's my favorite new artist of the past 10 years. And if I really thought about it and broke it down, he's near the top of my list of all the 2000s.