Would Axl sound good on Anastasia?

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I quite like Myles also. I do not understand why people criticise it.

I think he does a great job, his voice is amazing and he works hard taking care of it. He doesn't run around or have Axl's stage presence but Slash,Frank and Todd do enough. IMO. 

Myles' voice is consistent and I love it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I think he does a great job, his voice is amazing and he works hard taking care of it. He doesn't run around or have Axl's stage presence but Slash,Frank and Todd do enough. IMO. 

Myles' voice is consistent and I love it.

Now let's not get carried away haha!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Just a personal preference thing. I don't think he sounds great on anything. Except maybe Back to Cali, I love that one.

Yup that is another good one too... There are definitely songs he doesn't sound good on though.. But the ones he doesn't I think he still sounds better than that weird Axl falsetto voice.. Like I think he sounds better on Sweet Child Than Axl.  But he sounds like ass on songs like My Michelle..

• Like 1

I think Anastasia is a song made for Axl it's basically another Locomotive in terms of the main riff on the verses and an outro solo. As long as Dizzy and Melissa don't do much on the song it should sound great 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 2

Axl is the better lyricist (to me) with better melodies.

Anastasia is a phantastic peace of music with mediocre lyrics. I think Axl could do a way better work writing his own vocals for this song. 

I feel that way with most of Slash's songs. On World On Fire alone there are so many tracks that suffer from Myles vocals... WOF, Wicked Stone, Too Far Gone, Beneath, Withered Delilah, Avalon... to name a few... I like the album as it is but it could be a masterpeace with Axl input (vocals).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Axl's lyrics were better during the Illusions but dreadful on CD. I cannot say Anastasia has any worse lyrics than ''sitting in a Chinese stew'' or ''I'll kick your ass like I said that I would''.

Oh My God, Catcher in the Rye, The Blues, Madagascar, Prostitute, There Was A Time - ?

I agree with you that the lyrics as a whole were weaker than Illusions.

Edited by RONIN

9 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I would actually be IN FAVOR of a best of post 1995 rerecored album. 2 or 3 Slash song, 2 or 3 VR songs, 2 or 3 CD songs, and 2 or 3 "new" songs. By "new" songs that could mean CD leftovers or completely NEW material, or both.

I think it would be a good way to incorporate the "lost period" into the current gnr world. Also it would be a super easy album to do, mostly like playing covers at this point. I have always felt that Slash would make the CD songs better, and from what he has done on THIS tour, I feel i was right. I also felt that Slash's entire post guns discography could be made better with Mr. ROSE on vocals (yes Myles and Scott were good, but come on now...) So why not just take the best of all of it, through in some actual NEW songs as well, and I feel it would make a pretty strong album. Sure a completely new album from the ground up would be great as well, but I would take this idea as a way to get a new album, keep touring, etc until (if) a true new album ever surfaces. Guns has ALWAYS been a band that puts out a "lesser" release as a way to tide the fans over until a proper album happens. Lies was a stop gap until the Illusions were done. TSI was meant as a stop gap until the next album as well (of course the next album never came). So this best of album idea does make sense, at least to me. Not to mention I get excited about the songs that could appear on THIS album.

Slither

Fall to Pieces

Sorry

This I Love

TWAT

Better

Ain't Life Grand

Beggars and Hangers on

Just to name a few, if buy this album for sure, and LOVE IT!!!

I can't believe that you find this idea exciting in any way. :D

That would be so, so überlame! 

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Axl's lyrics were better during the Illusions but dreadful on CD. I cannot say Anastasia has any worse lyrics than ''sitting in a Chinese stew'' or ''I'll kick your ass like I said that I would''.

Yeah maybe, but the vocals all in all. Myles doesn't sound RnR enough IMO even annoying sometimes like on Withered Delilah. That's the best I can express my feelings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Slash was falling to pieces and couldn't get out bed because Axl was promised to a wealthy man?

LOL! I think I confused this with What Do You Want To Be. 

Myles is a good example of everything that is wrong with rock music post 2000. He has talent, that's for sure, but he has zero personality. In all honesty, the dude from Train has more stage presence and personality than Myles does (ive seen both live). Which Imo this lack of personality comes through in his lyrics as well, he just doesn't have ANYTHING interesting to say. Which I'm not trying to bash the guy, just calling it like I see it, he has NO EDGE. He is super safe, but when have rock frontman been safe? Think back through rock history, was Morrison safe? Jagger? Etc. You need to have some sort of edge if you are a frontman, period. 

Can he sing good? Yes he does, that's why he is a great REPLACEMEMNT guy. He can go out there, sing the songs well, and not cause a fuss. He is a SAFE choice. That's why Slash contacted him, that's why Zeppelin considered him. Zeppelin would NEVER write an album with him though, but he could sing the classics good enough. Which is either a positive or negative depending on which side of the fence you are on. Even Alter Bridge, that band only exists because Creed crapped out, so his MAIN band he is replacing another well known singer. Which Scott Stapp even has more personality than Myles does, and I never liked Creed, and I don't like Alter Bridge either. 

I know it seems like I am bashing Myles, bit I'm not, I'm just calling it how it is. Yes he has some talent. Yes he CAN sing SCOM for example better than Axl can now. If he did sing with Zeppelin I'm sure he could do some of those better than Plant currently can as well, but that's not the point. The point is Myles doesn't have ANYTHING beyond what you see, no tortured soul thats going to take you a musical journey. Which again, that's how I feel about ALL modern rock bands, so it's not just Myles. Let me put it like this, Myles can sing SCOM very well, why? Beyond the fact that he has a good voice, I think he can relate to those lyrics pretty well. It's a love song at it's core, which I'm sure he can relate to. Now something like YCBM, even though Axl has ups and downs with that song vocally, he feels those lyrics. Myles can't relate to those types of songs from the gnr catalogue imo. Sure some of them he can sing pretty good, but he sucks all of the emotion out of them. Bad ass rock songs he just plain can't relate to, so he makes them very pedestrian imo. I would take Axl on a bad night over Myles on his best night, and not even think twice about it. So when it comes to Slash's solo discography, I very much look at it like it's great music with lots of potential, but it lacks any real edge. Sure Slash does his best to give us edge through his playing, but the lyrics and melodies just fall extremely flat imo. That's why VR had some serious potential, because Scott Weiland DID have edge, his lyrics DID have that tortured soul elements. 

To be fair, I feel the same way about NUgnr, just in reverse. Axl DID give the lyrics and melodies some serious edge imo. Maybe not Appetite edge or even on par with the Illusions, but still he has some serious stuff going on that album lyrically. Where that album came up short was musically and with production. Axl couldn't get the new guys to play with the same kind of edge the real guys could. That's why I feel the CD songs they play live now sound better than they ever have. This is how Axl always envisioned them sounding imo. 

So going back to my previous post about a "best of" album from 1996 through now, I think it's actually a GREAT idea. We would finally hear those songs reach their full potential. Plus I did say through in some CD leftovers and perhaps a song or two that's new from the ground up, so it just wouldn't be songs we have heard before. But I would love a studio version of Slash on better and Sorry or to hear what Axl would do with Anastasia or others. I feel strongly they would make them better, for the reasons I already explained. Sure some folks would prefer the CD versions or the Myles versions, and that's cool. But as they are, they sound incomplete to my ears. Which I wouldn't be shocked if Axl, Slash, and Duff feel similar about those songs as well. 

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 4

On a side note, I seriously cringe at the thought of Myles singing Immigrant Song or Black Dog. Even the strongest Myles supporters have to admit those songs (and many other zep classics like these) would seriously drop in attitude with Myles on vocals. Seriously, think about Myles on Immigrant Song, does that sound interesting to You? If it does... IDK man. I guess it appeals to the same folks that went to see Adam Lambert with Queen. If thats rock and roll to you...

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

6 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

On a side note, I seriously cringe at the thought of Myles singing Immigrant Song or Black Dog. Even the strongest Myles supporters have to admit those songs (and many other zep classics like these) would seriously drop in attitude with Myles on vocals. Seriously, think about Myles on Immigrant Song, does that sound interesting to You? If it does... IDK man. I guess it appeals to the same folks that went to see Adam Lambert with Queen. If thats rock and roll to you...

i like it

• Like 1

On 11.7.2017 at 11:27 PM, J Dog said:

I'm not saying he can't sing, he can belt it out for sure. His voice just has a sound that my ears can't take but so much of, not even sure how to explain it. I'd say 2 or 3 songs in a row is the max I can listen to him.

This might sound really bad and I swear I don't hate the guy or trying to bury him here, but he almost sounds like a guy who won American Idol or something. Like his voice has no personality, he can just sing. If that makes any damn sense.

Like what you said about him being consistent, he's almost too consistent for me. It's like he has that one tone and that's it. Boring maybe?

But it's all good. If you like his voice then blast that motherfucker then :lol:

6 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Myles is a good example of everything that is wrong with rock music post 2000. He has talent, that's for sure, but he has zero personality. In all honesty, the dude from Train has more stage presence and personality than Myles does (ive seen both live). Which Imo this lack of personality comes through in his lyrics as well, he just doesn't have ANYTHING interesting to say. Which I'm not trying to bash the guy, just calling it like I see it, he has NO EDGE. He is super safe, but when have rock frontman been safe? Think back through rock history, was Morrison safe? Jagger? Etc. You need to have some sort of edge if you are a frontman, period. 

Can he sing good? Yes he does, that's why he is a great REPLACEMEMNT guy. He can go out there, sing the songs well, and not cause a fuss. He is a SAFE choice. That's why Slash contacted him, that's why Zeppelin considered him. Zeppelin would NEVER write an album with him though, but he could sing the classics good enough. Which is either a positive or negative depending on which side of the fence you are on. Even Alter Bridge, that band only exists because Creed crapped out, so his MAIN band he is replacing another well known singer. Which Scott Stapp even has more personality than Myles does, and I never liked Creed, and I don't like Alter Bridge either.

I very much agree with both of these posts.

I like Myles, he seems like a really nice and down to earth kinda guy. Someone I'd like to hang out with and probably get a long great with. As a human being, I can't say anything bad about him.

But as a front man and a singer? So damn boring. Boring performance, generic lyrics, completely unexciting all around.

And this is a matter of taste obviously, but I have the same problem @J Dog has with his voice- I can't listen to it for very long. It's like nails on chalkboard to me.

Apart from all the Myles talk, I agree about re-recording a Best of Album of all the guys' solo stuff. I'd find that pretty exciting too.

It'd be like finally getting these songs in the way they always were supposed to be like but never quite were.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed seeing Myles in AB and with Slash in smaller venues. When he moved to arenas with both -  not so much. He has a great voice, doesn't have the stage presence imo. Axl has the stage presence.

1 minute ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Oh man... Just how I expected. If I was in my local pub and the band sounded like this, I'd be digging it. But it's not something I would follow, buy the music, etc.

Well I had to try and convince you, I failed.:P 

I still love his voice:ph34r:

• Like 1

Myles has always considered himself a guitar player(an exceptionally talented one) first who just happens to have a killer voice.

He'll be the first to tell you he is like a fish out of water on stage without a guitar in hand, and for the most part his time with Slash was his first time basically doing the front man thing.

Spending the first 40 years of life with a guitar in your hand makes transitioning to the front man roll tough, particularly when you admittedly aren't very naturally charismatic and would rather be playing a guitar.

He has actually come a long way from when he started with Slash to how he was at the end of their run.

I will be forever grateful to him for coming into Slash's life and giving us back the GNR stuff it seemed many of us would never get to hear Slash play again.

Easy to say now with the re-union, but as of 2008/9 many of us wondered if we would ever get to hear Slash  play SCOM/Rocket Queen/Jungle/Civil War/PC and so forth ever again as he hadn't (other than a one off here or there) at that point since he left Guns. That had been 15 years, and to many GNR fans who never saw Slash play them live seemed like an eternity.

Myles ability to single those songs credibly (whether you like his voice or not) opened up the back catalog for Slash again and brought joy to GNR fans everywhere who so desperately wanted to see Slash playing those songs again.

On 7/11/2017 at 0:44 PM, Tom-Ass said:

But the ones he doesn't I think he still sounds better than that weird Axl falsetto voice.. Like I think he sounds better on Sweet Child Than Axl.

Please clarify what you're referring to, Axl's falsetto nowadays or back in his prime? Either way, I think you're crazy. But the 2nd scenario is certainly crazier than the 1st. :blink:

They should just rip out Dr Alibi with Axl's deep voice. Do it as a Lemmy tribute, inject some energy mid set. Get over the apparent barrier. It's fun and not too serious. 

Anastasia could quickly become ridiculous. I don't think Axl could make that song his own. 

Edited by Ant