Songs that were potential GNR songs?

Hey all, 

I have a quick question concerning the snakepit, VR, slash, etc stuff. I've read some posts saying that some songs were originally from the GNR days, in addition to Axl rejecting some of Slash's material before Slash left the band. 

Just wondering if someone could give me a list of all the non-GNR songs that were potentially going to be on a guns record? I know some but I'm curious to find out all that are known. 

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Slashmatt98 said:

Hey all, 

I have a quick question concerning the snakepit, VR, slash, etc stuff. I've read some posts saying that some songs were originally from the GNR days, in addition to Axl rejecting some of Slash's material before Slash left the band. 

Just wondering if someone could give me a list of all the non-GNR songs that were potentially going to be on a guns record? I know some but I'm curious to find out all that are known. 

Thanks!

You can listen to all 10-plus Izzy Stradlin albums, all the Slash's albums and you will find all the riffs and chord progressions and even songs that could be Guns n Roses songs

But we have Axl Rose and his "vision" so we have that you-know-what album instead!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Was that with lyrics or without?

Axl confirmed Slash brought in the demo that became Fall to Pieces, but apparently backed off when Axl showed interested in it.....and Scott wrote the lyrics to it after getting out of jail or rehab or something. So lyrics were definitely Scott. 

• Like 1

There was a thread about vault songs not too long ago.  If you look that up, some of it might  possibly inform this?  With everyones input it became a long list.  

Perhaps all that I know to share are things you already know too, but here it goes

Back and Forth Again was famously included in Making F#%ing videos for Estranged.  Theres the clip floating around on here of the band sound checking Beggars and Hangers On on UYI tour.  Basically almost all of Five O'clock somewhere. Be the Ball was intended for the pin ball machine.  

Some tellings of story of 5 o'clock have Axl being handed lyrics,  and Id love to know the timeline there!!!  Axl later had a shadow band writing for him (as reported in chinese whispers); did Slash have the first shadow band with dover writing lyrics to feed Axl?  Or were these Slash lyrics (if true story).   I've never asked this out loud or heard it discussed, but the one version has Axl being handed lyrics...

To me it seems clear that Gilbys Cure Me Or Kill Me and Tijuana Jail, both featuring Slash were what he offered up for a GNR album.  And got him fired by Axl!  I like em a lot though.  Maybe Monkey Chow and his riff from Good To Be Alive, as well?

Lennys Always on the Run ws said to have been presented to Guns but Slash has suggested he felt adler want up to it.

And that thing Duff mentioned for Jackie Chan movie in 96'... and how Fortus said in 2015 about working on slash stuff... and the leak called checkmate/jackie chan.... It either was supposed to be guns or will be a single soon :) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, soon said:

Lennys Always on the Run ws said to have been presented to Guns but Slash has suggested he felt adler want up to it.

That was the early version of Ain't Life Grand called Burnout, which was Kravitz on vocals. Slash never brought Always on the run riff to guns because he felt it was too funky for GNR

14 hours ago, soon said:

And that thing Duff mentioned for Jackie Chan movie in 96'... and how Fortus said in 2015 about working on slash stuff... and the leak called checkmate/jackie chan.... It either was supposed to be guns or will be a single soon :) 

I'm really wondering about what slash stuff Fortus has been working on, most likely some from the 96 tapes would be my guess

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

That was the early version of Ain't Life Grand called Burnout, which was Kravitz on vocals. Slash never brought Always on the run riff to guns because he felt it was too funky for GNR

I'm really wondering about what slash stuff Fortus has been working on, most likely some from the 96 tapes would be my guess

Oh, cool.  Thanks for correcting that.

I agree, maybe 96.  And that sounds good to me if its the case!

15 hours ago, soon said:

I don't think the leak of "Checkmate" had anything to do with the demo Duff talked about for Jackie Chan. The song was played by a radio station who wanted to get back at Axl (can't remember why) and the announcer commented after the 10 second leak, Checkmate- as in now it's your move. Because the announcer said the name Checkmate, that phrase was associated with the song as the leak showed no noticeable title or chorus. Furthermore, the song resembles more of a rocker you'd here on CD and less like the UYI era so I don't think the two were connected, unless I'm missing proof somewhere.

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I don't think the leak of "Checkmate" had anything to do with the demo Duff talked about for Jackie Chan. The song was played by a radio station who wanted to get back at Axl (can't remember why) and the announcer commented after the 10 second leak, Checkmate- as in now it's your move. Because the announcer said the name Checkmate, that phrase was associated with the song as the leak showed no noticeable title or chorus. Furthermore, the song resembles more of a rocker you'd here on CD and less like the UYI era so I don't think the two were connected, unless I'm missing proof somewhere.

I was certainly giving my self some liberty for wild speculation at the end of my post, but I didn't know about the radio announcer bit.  Interesting.  To my ears, for what it worth, Checkmate sounds very much like UYI and less like CD.  To me it sounds like Slash is playing on it.  Not saying he is or isnt, but it sounds very much of Slash in the 90's to me.

As an aside, I think the lyrics would be the perfect statement for this era.

1 hour ago, soon said:

I was certainly giving my self some liberty for wild speculation at the end of my post, but I didn't know about the radio announcer bit.  Interesting.  To my ears, for what it worth, Checkmate sounds very much like UYI and less like CD.  To me it sounds like Slash is playing on it.  Not saying he is or isnt, but it sounds very much of Slash in the 90's to me.

As an aside, I think the lyrics would be the perfect statement for this era.

To me, Checkmate kinda reminded me more over a rocker you'd hear on CD of the likes of I.R.S., Scraped and the removed track Oh My God, but the good thing about opinions is that we're all allowed our own :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Muddy said:

It's 5 o clock somewhere was what slash brought to the table for the UYI follow up , Axl supposedly only thought 3 or 4 songs had potential (neither can I, soma city ward, beggars and hangers on, good to be alive ) 

slash said in his book that during the pre Scott Weiland days of VR when Izzy was involved that they wrote in his opinion "hands down , the best GNR record " some material went in contraband , and a few on the slash and friends album .

i think ain't life grand was slash's best post GNR work , there's quite a few songs on there that would have made killer GNR songs .

sweet caress by izzy would of been a good GNR song too

Where do you got the information about which songs Axl liked from 5 o'clock? That's new to me. As well as your point that Slash used some of "The Project's" stuff on his self titeld album.

14 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

It wasn't even a demo. Slash supposedly only played little snippets of it.

At least that's Axl statement from the chats, I think. Slash denied that and said there isn't stuff from the 90s on Contraband when I remember correctly. In his book there's a story about how or when the riff to Fall To Peaces was created.

Snakepit was originally a DAT which Slash had been working on at his home studio with Matt and Gilby. I think this would have been late '93 - early 94. Then Duff wrote a bunch of stuff with Izzy - not 'The Project' as this was earlier and for 'Guns N' Roses'.

Edited by DieselDaisy

7 hours ago, axlweave said:

The Slash song Speed Parade was a GnR song once known as Nightcrawler

I never got that. The riffs sound nothing alike.

8 hours ago, Muddy said:

As far as which Snakepit songs goes , I guessed based on personal opinion lol and the songs released as singles .

And duff said in reference to the slash and friends album that "slash was sitting on those songs for a long time ", its stills guess on my part 

I doubt your choices are correct, since there exist recording of Axl whistling to Back And Forth again so that one must have been one of them. And Slash said Axl hated his "southern rock", I remember reading in Slashs book Axl especially hated Jizz Da Pit which sounded like a redneck song or something. So that would put Beggars into that category aswell, most likely.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown