Apollo Show - Izzy & Steven Not Playing - Argue About It HERE

5 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think Duff is/was more important than people realize. He was the only 'veteran' in the band at the time, the one with the most significant band experience, the one who had been a drummer and a guitarist in previous bands and already toured the country and knew way more about band dynamics than anyone else.

It's silly discussing who was more important because we all know that band worked because they were all very different and yet all contributed to the sound and songwriting.

Duff was just as important as the other guys. So, indispensable. 

But, technically speaking, the most easily replaceable, sonically. How the fuck did they think they could replace Adler??? We all saw how that went.

1 minute ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Duff was just as important as the other guys. So, indispensable. 

But, technically speaking, the most easily replaceable, sonically. How the fuck did they think they could replace Adler??? We all saw how that went.

I don't know, if you want to speak technically, I'd say Duff's sound was more recognizable than Izzy's.

It's just music. It's just a band. It's five men who are able to make their own decisions on things.

I'll never understand why people take stuff like this so personally. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think Duff is/was more important than people realize. He was the only 'veteran' in the band at the time, the one with the most significant band experience, the one who had been a drummer and a guitarist in previous bands and already toured the country and knew way more about band dynamics than anyone else.

It's silly discussing who was more important because we all know that band worked because they were all very different and yet all contributed to the sound and songwriting.

More important than who? No one said duff doesn't matter or that he is not important, can you stay on topic? Many are pretending Izzy and Adler are not important so if you want to play some elimination game and dismiss members then let's get real about who could go first. It takes all 5, I think duff is great musically and dig his back up. vocals but stop bullshitting and minimizing Izzy and Adler , use some independent thought here. And yeah, Izzy can sing better too, he brings the sunshine. 

Just now, AncientEvil80 said:

You out of your mind???? Go watch any gig, since we're talking about touring, with Izzy and then with friggin' Gilby. Night and day.

What does Gilby have to do with it? Of course there's a difference between Gilby and Izzy.

Just saying that I'm not so sure that from a musical point of view Duff is more replaceable than Izzy, as you say.

Just now, Pishy said:

More important than who? No one said duff doesn't matter or that he is not important, can you stay on topic? Many are pretending Izzy and Adler are not important so if you want to play some elimination game and dismiss members then let's get real about who could go first. It takes all 5, I think duff is great musically and dig his back up. vocals but stop bullshitting and minimizing Izzy and Adler , use some independent thought here. And yeah, Izzy can sing better too, he brings the sunshine. 

Don't get so uptight, man. Relax. And I am staying on topic. I was commenting on the Duff comments, by pointing out that he is more important than some people realize. I'm not minimizing Izzy and Steven. You seem to have me confused with another poster.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

What does Gilby have to do with it? Of course there's a difference between Gilby and Izzy.

Just saying that I'm not so sure that from a musical point of view Duff is more replaceable than Izzy, as you say.

Personal opinion. I'll take that then.:shrugs:

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Don't get so uptight, man. Relax. And I am staying on topic. I was commenting on the Duff comments, by pointing out that he is more important than some people realize. I'm not minimizing Izzy and Steven. You seem to have me confused with another poster.

I just realized I did read a few and mix you up, I'm sorry 

Just now, AncientEvil80 said:

Personal opinion. I'll take that then.:shrugs:

I'm merely speaking from a musician's point of view. I think casual listeners are able to recognize Duff's bass sound over Izzy's rhythm guitar, because Duff has a more distinctive sound playing bass than Izzy has playing guitar. I don't think most people can hear the difference between Izzy or Gilby, but I do think they might have been able to tell if someone else was playing the bass in a lot of situations, for the better or worse. Songwriting wise I know Izzy brought more to the table.

Just now, Pishy said:

I just realized I did read a few and mix you up, I'm sorry 

No problem.

It just seems like doing a specifically Appetite-related event without the original guys is a line they didn't need to cross.

It's tacky and disrespectful and with the tour as wildly successful as it's been they just don't need to do it.

• Like 4

Unpopular opinion (not really).. but at this point, if they do not bring Steven and Izzy on stage, I don't even want them to play the 'AFD Anniversary-related' show..

I mean either you play it in its entirety with the original line-up or you don't..

Just don't make a double mistake - playing it whole with new members...

At this point it's better if it's just another NITL show...

• Like 2

As I said before. Adler and Izzy are only a possibility if some millionaire will pay for them separately on a private gig. Both will never ever tour with Axl. Why? Because of Axl himself. Axl can't stand the vision of GnR where 4 of 5 members could speak up against him. 

1 minute ago, scooby845 said:

Unpopular opinion (not really).. but at this point, if they do not bring Steven and Izzy on stage, I don't even want them to play the 'AFD Anniversary-related' show..

I mean either you play it in its entirety with the original line-up or you don't..

Nonsense. It's unlikely but what if Steven didn't want to play? Or if Izzy still didn't want anything to do with the band? Are the others not entitled as co writers to go out and celebrate the album?

There are bands who go out and do full albums and have maybe one of the original members (which is fine by me) so when 3 out of 5 decide they want to do something I think it carries enough clout. End of the day, if it sounds good with the current line up who cares. Don't start whinging about Richard and Frank. 

Slash and Duff are old new members. We're now allowed to call this incarnation gnr (I see buggar all difference) so Richard and Frank are definitely old members. Melissa is new, I'll give you that, but anyone who's been in a band for 10, or near 20 years is definitely not new.

9 minutes ago, scooby845 said:

Not unpopular at all. And you're 100% right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2414225 said:

As I said before. Adler and Izzy are only a possibility if some millionaire will pay for them separately on a private gig. Both will never ever tour with Axl. Why? Because of Axl himself. Axl can't stand the vision of GnR where 4 of 5 members could speak up against him. 

Bull. Axl is the boss, if he doesn't like what's happening he has full control to stop it, fire people and do whatever he likes (for better or worse). He'd have Izzy in the band if he thought he could rely on him, that was the suggestion Axl has made for the last 25+ years. As for Steven, I think he just prefers Frank.

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Nonsense. It's unlikely but what if Steven didn't want to play? Or if Izzy still didn't want anything to do with the band? Are the others not entitled as co writers to go out and celebrate the album?

There are bands who go out and do full albums and have maybe one of the original members (which is fine by me) so when 3 out of 5 decide they want to do something I think it carries enough clout. End of the day, if it sounds good with the current line up who cares. Don't start whinging about Richard and Frank. 

Slash and Duff are old new members. We're now allowed to call this incarnation gnr (I see buggar all difference) so Richard and Frank are definitely old members. Melissa is new, I'll give you that, but anyone who's been in a band for 10, or near 20 years is definitely not new.

That is absolutely substantial.

But what if they wanted to play? And money issues weren't resolved...?

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Bull. Axl is the boss, if he doesn't like what's happening he has full control to stop it, fire people and do whatever he likes (for better or worse). He'd have Izzy in the band if he thought he could rely on him, that was the suggestion Axl has made for the last 25+ years. As for Steven, I think he just prefers Frank.

NOT AT ALL.. Even if that happened for some reason (even though it wont) and all 4 of AFD decided to leave..what would Axl do? NuGnR 3.0? He wouldn't be able to gather people for free concert...

2 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

It just seems like doing a specifically Appetite-related event without the original guys is a line they didn't need to cross.

It's tacky and disrespectful and with the tour as wildly successful as it's been they just don't need to do it.

True, and it makes everything a lot of us have been saying from the outset, crystal clear.  Only a demented donkey can't see it now. 

2 minutes ago, Pishy said:

True, and it makes everything a lot of us have been saying from the outset, crystal clear.  Only a demented donkey can't see it now. 

I am absolutely for AFD5 but we gotta understand that GnR is the most abrasive band ever... it would collapse as fast as one can think...

Still... that line shouldn't have been crossed... At least a guest appearance!

Stop talking rubbish about Duff's significance in the band ya flogs.  You obviously have no fucking idea what you're talking about.  He is Guns N' fuckin Roses' bass player and always has been.   He is a meastro and his bass lines kick arse.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

It's not being advertised solely as AFD30 gig, it's also a NITL NA second leg warm up show.

About Izzy and Steven... They were in the play for NITL. Izzy wanted too much cash, so they say. But maybe it was just an excuse to not go on a big tour. He is known for not likeing big tours and events, left the band for that long ago.

And Steven..  I like his drumming, but can he truly stay clean, in shape and focused for a few years of touring, with 3 hour concerts 3 times a week?

They are not part of NITL, they will not be a part of this event. This will be similiar to the NITL setlist, shorter, MAYBE with less covers and a few more AFD songs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Steven and Izzy there, for this event and the tour, but it's just not realistic. Not gonna happen. But I'll take what I can get. Axl, Slash and Duff together in GNR  that's just great and more then we could hope to see few years ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts :)

Edited by MisterNo

5 minutes ago, MisterNo said:

It's not being advertised solely as AFD30 gig, it's also a NITL NA second leg warm up show.

About Izzy and Steven... They were in the play for NITL. Izzy wanted too much cash, so they say. But maybe it was just an excuse to not go on a big tour. He is known for not likeing big tours and events, left the band for that long ago.

And Steven..  I like his drumming, but can he truly stay clean, in shape and focused for a few years of touring, with 3 hour concerts 3 times a week?

They are not part of NITL, they will not be a part of this event. This will be similiar to the NITL setlist, shorter, with less covers and a few more AFD songs.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Steven and Izzy there, for this event and the tour, but it's just not realistic. Not gonna happen. But I'll take what I can get. Axl, Slash and Duff together in GNR  that's just great and more then we could hope to see few years ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts :)

Sorry pal, but your post is so full of cliches and whatnot, that I had to stop reading.

Izzy didn't want too much cash. THEY didn't wanna split the loot. But it doesn't matter... musically. They should have done whatever to bring back Izzy if they had any musical integrity at all.

As for Steven: again with the drugs story? Can he play? Jeezuz, it's not fucking Chick Corea stuff. No need for Colaiuta. 

Edited by AncientEvil80
  • Like 3