Are we too hard on Guns?

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I think it is a shame, too. I wish he would have been that type of artist who would have made more music. But there is a difference between thinking it is a shame he coouldn't produce more, and actually critizicing him for it. It is what it is. Maybe he doesn't want do, maybe he doesn't have it in him, maybe it is too harfd for him, maybe he just is a lzy fuck, maybe he could have if people around had been more supportive/coaxing? I don't know. But regardless, it is his choice and none of my business. I am justg happy for what he has done. Which is a lot to be happy about and better than most other artists.

Stop talking utter fucking..... sense.

I have met plenty of people who had amazing talents one way or another but chose to follow another path. Because that was what they wanted. I had student buddies who could have had glorious careers in mathematics (hah) but decided to be high school teachers instead, buddies who could have gone to whatever university they wanted to study any subject because they were that brilliant, but decided to instead loaf around India and become hippies. And Axl perhaps could have released more music in his career. Perhaps. And it could have been great. Perhaps. But you have to do what your heart tells you, whether that is to go down another path than what people expect or because it is too much of a toil. And as long as you don't hurt anyone, including yourself, then no one has the right to criticize you for your decisions, really, for following your heart. People might tear out their hair in frustration over this, maybe because they are jealous of the wasted talent or selfishly want more, but you only live your own life and first and foremost you have to take care of yourself.

So yeah, I feel it is a pity Axl isn't a super productive artist. But he still gave me more than most other artists. I am happy for that, and focus on this, rather than being negative of what could have been. And that doesn't just pertain to Guns N' Roses but to life in general. There will always be missed opportunities, dead-ends, tragedies, mishaps. Enjoying life is to accept that and not linger on what is bad, but focus on what is good. Paraphrasing Bukowski, what matters most is how we walk through the fire.

• Like 3

As someone that became a REAL fan in 1996 (the beginning of the dark times), my perspective is different. If you told me then, that in 2016 Axl, Slash, and Duff would reunite and tour the world I would have taken that. Even though that meant not a whole lot in those 20 years (even though things DID happen during that time, it wasn't the band I wanted). So, when I look at it from MY perspective; buying end of days the day it came out, live era the day it came out, spin magazine article, the early days of the forums, etc. 

YOU BET YOUR ASS I WOULD HAVE TAKEN WHAT WE HAVE NOW IN A HEARTBEAT. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I have met plenty of people who had amazing talents one way or another but chose to follow another path. Because that was what they wanted. I had student buddies who could have had glorious careers in mathematics (hah) but decided to be high school teachers instead, buddies who could have gone to whatever university they wanted to study any subject because they were that brilliant, but decided to instead loaf around India and become hippies. And Axl perhaps could have released more music in his career. Perhaps. And it could have been great. Perhaps. But you have to do what your heart tells you, whether that is to go down another path than what people expect or because it is too much of a toil. And as long as you don't hurt anyone, including yourself, then no one has the right to criticize you for your decisions, really, for following your heart. People might tear out their hair in frustration over this, maybe because they are jealous of the wasted talent or selfishly want more, but you only live your own life and first and foremost you have to take care of yourself.

So yeah, I feel it is a pity Axl isn't a super productive artist. But he still gave me more than most other artists. I am happy for that, and focus on this, rather than being negative of what could have been. And that doesn't just pertain to Guns N' Roses but to life in general. There will always be missed opportunities, dead-ends, tragedies, mishaps. Enjoying life is to accept that and not linger on what is bad, but focus on what is good. Paraphrasing Bukowski, what matters most is how we walk through the fire.

You, my friend, know what it's all about.

Why can't people just say this is what we have now and just enjoy it, Axl has been using vocal compression for years so what do expect him to sound like now?, He's fuckin 55 haha

Edited by Dar97
  • Like 2

When someone keeps a band name alive for over thirty years, then I don't think there's anything wrong in being critical on the lack of material. Of course it's his choice and his life, although I can't imagine him being too happy about it either. If he had quit the music business in 1994, I wouldn't be criticizing him for not releasing any music, I would still think it's a shame, but I would respect his choice. But he hasn't quit the music business. He decided to spend millions on recordings and tour the world over and over playing very old songs. It's still his choice and his right, but don't tell me that I can't form an opinion on that.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

No.

No one can ever be too hard on Axl Rose.

He has single-handedly ruined the GNR legacy, now he has to live with the consequences.

I'm tired of this. Did Axl really 'single-handedly' ruin GNR when only the opinions of Slash and Duff have been blasted through the media? Is one side of a story really enough to craft a complete conclusion of what happened?

A band consists of multiple people, and to that extent, the collapse of Guns N' Roses falls on more than just Axl. Slash and Duff were literally fucked up from all the drugs they were taking, and they too were just as responsible for the band as Axl was. Nothing is as clear cut as a lot of people try to make it. If you're talking about Chinese Democracy, then it is a subjective thing. Many people like it, many people don't. Regardless, it is still a part of GNR history, and has been validated in part by Slash's and Duff's performances of some of the songs.

• Like 1

People are free to express their opinions, negative or positive, whether you agree or not. 

I think it's fair for those diehards who stuck by Axl over the years to expect something more now that the impossible has happened (Slash being back). I've already learned to lower my expectations when it comes to this band but that doesn't mean everyone will do the same. 

4 hours ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

No.

No one can ever be too hard on Axl Rose.

He has single-handedly ruined the GNR legacy, now he has to live with the consequences.

Couldn't agree more. The list of wrong decisions by Axl Rose is endless. If some of you are supporting NuGnR, I'm fine, but still have in mind that Adler, Sorum and Izzy are pissed, Slash and Duff have a gag order. Axl is doing no fan service. The merchandise is bad. Axl's voice has problems. And he is doing a band birthday party, while some members who should and could be there are sitting pissed at home. 

Duff s and Slash's intentions were surely good, but they sold their soul joining NuGnR. 

Edited by 2414225
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, EvanG said:

tour the world over and over playing very old songs.

Which people still pay to go and see. Every time, every tour. They don't have to.

33 minutes ago, EvanG said:

don't tell me that I can't form an opinion on that.

Nobody's saying you can't. You told him to go and get another career. I asked why should he? People still go to see him perform. He isn't under any obligation to release another song if he doesn't want to. He doesn't 'owe' a single fan anything. Not you, not me, not anyone.

I think in general yes...

I'm not sure I know of a fanbase as obsessed about a particular original lineup as Guns fans. are....the majority of bands today have evolved past their original lineup and you don't hear their fans get on their necks about it. I suppose this is just a testament to the connection that fans feel to the people in Guns..past and present....but it's still ridiculous when some fans DEMAND or expect to see the original lineup.....

Most of the Axl voice issues are truly nitpicking. Listen to the Apollo show again, he struggles in some particular songs and at some moments during the show....But how could/should that overshadow that he actually does good/great the rest of the show?

Setlist, well IMO if throwing in a few covers keeps the band on their feet and enjoying themselves, making them able to play 3+ hours every night, I say go for it. Besides Guns have ALWAYS done a lot of covers.....going back to the Illusion tours.

Edited by Nostalgia^

1 hour ago, bucketfoot said:

Which people still pay to go and see. Every time, every tour. They don't have to.

Nobody's saying you can't. You told him to go and get another career. I asked why should he? People still go to see him perform. He isn't under any obligation to release another song if he doesn't want to. He doesn't 'owe' a single fan anything. Not you, not me, not anyone.

I wasn't telling him to get another career, it was more a suggestion to make a point in that context. Again, he should do whatever he wants, it's his life. If he wants to be the kind of artist that doesn't really releases music and lives off of touring the world on 30 year old songs, then all the best to him.

We are all here to discuss the band and the band members, and in my opinion he wasted a lot of time and I think it's sad to see what he did to his career while he could have made some much better choices. 

25 minutes ago, FuriousStyles said:

Other forums highly censor opinion that doesn't fit into the box the site owners and admin hope to project

MyGNR is the place to be. You have great admin, mods with differing opinions amongst themselves and a long leash for tolerance.

I do agree with this, I've been getting into trouble more than once on other forums for being critical, but here I can speak my mind. So kudos to the people who run this place.

8 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

If their opinions are making you unhappy and go apeshit on your keyboard, full of rage, then the joke is on you.

That is true. And I believe the band lives by this too...They've learned that a long time ago :lol: And playing to 10s of thousands every night who enjoy the shows certainly helps with this.....:P

I don't think people are too hard on them, I would guess most people here have gone to see them, own all their albums, etc., and they're allowed to be critical. I don't think anyone here wants to be negative about the band, but for whatever reason they are.

My only complaint is Axl's voice, and his apparent non-interest in adapting the setlist to fit his current voice. Instead of singing Coma like he does, why not swap it for Locomotive where he can use his deep/speaking voice and Melissa can do the high parts (kinda like on Chinese Democracy)? Swap My Michelle and Yesterdays for You Ain't The First and Bad Obsession. He could sound good for most of the show, but the clean/falsetto voice doesn't work. I know it's not a new thing, but at least in the past few years he's balanced out that voice by bringing it when he needed to, but he doesn't do that as much now and I'm inclined to think it's a conscious choice, so he can save his voice for ACDC.