"They were going to be the best band of all-time". JEFF EDELSTEIN on Axl, Doc, Darryl and how Thirty years go by fast

JEFF EDELSTEIN: Axl, Doc, and Darryl: Thirty years go by fast

Can you believe it’s been 30 years since Appetite For Destruction came out?

By Jeff Edelstein, The Trentonian

Posted: 07/23/17, 7:31 AM EDT |

Warning: Middle age angst forthcoming ….

Guns ‘N’ Roses “Appetite For Destruction” came out 30 years ago Friday, July 21, 1987.

I have never felt this old in all my life. I can’t believe it’s been 30 years since Appetite dropped (and we didn’t say “dropped” back then). Of course, you pop that tape in the cassette deck today and it sounds as vital, new, and jaw-droppingly awesome as it did back then. Slash’s stuttering guitar opening to “Welcome to the Jungle,” followed my Axl’s “oh my god,” followed by an hour of the best rock album this side of “Exile on Main Street.”

It was a ridiculous album. And as an early-adopter to the band (an acquaintance of mine turned me onto them by claiming they opened for his cousin’s band in New York earlier that year and were awesome) I have always felt a special bond to the original lineup. I was 15 years old when that album came out; it was the soundtrack to my teenage years. I took my cues from them. I wore bandanas around my head, wore ripped jeans. Couldn’t pull off the black leather, but damn if I didn’t want to try.

They were going to be the best band of all-time.

(read the rest here = http://www.trentonian.com/opinion/20170723/jeff-edelstein-axl-doc-and-darryl-thirty-years-go-by-fast)