THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Len, if England had won the World Cup would part of you not been disgusted, with Spurs being at the center of it?

That thought has occured to me yes :lol:  But no, the minute you got the England shirt on regional rivalries are forgotten momentarily.

Normally you only have to stop hating everyone for 2 group games. 

Looking at the Euros theyve put all the top teams in League A of 4 leagues. So again only a few top teams will qualify. 

Then Wales and Slovenia will qualify. 

The Euro Nation's League is just a way for UEFA to make more money.

However the main qualification process won't take place till afterwards. It's complicated gibberish, but basically it'll make easier for all the top teams to qualify. It's unlikely that all teams in League A, won't qualify for the Euro's regardless of the results of the Nation's League (I think).

However at least it means *if you're an England fan for example*, instead of pointless friendlies this winter you play competitive games against Spain/Croatia. With an incentive for winning, but not really losing anything if you lose all 4 games since you can still qualify the normal way anyway afterwards.

Edited by AtariLegend

7 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

The Euro Nation's League is just a way for UEFA to make more money.

However the main qualification process won't take place till afterwards. It's complicated gibberish, but basically it'll make easier for all the top teams to qualify. It's unlikely that all teams in League A, won't qualify for the Euro's regardless of the results of the Nation's League (I think).

However at least it means *if you're an England fan for example*, instead of pointless friendlies this winter you play competitive games against Spain/Croatia. With an incentive for winning, but not really losing anything if you lose all 4 games since you can still qualify the normal way anyway afterwards.

So all the games in League A don’t or aren’t qualifiers? 

England are playing Croatia again Nov 18?

there’s also 20 host cities to bribe instead of just one country. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, wasted said:

The draw for qualification is in December. That's when England can play the scrub teams to qualify as usual. However the UEFA Nations League will affect seeding for those groups.

If a team tops the table during UEFA Nation's League and goes to the mini-tournament next year, they'll be guaranteed to get drawn into a group of 5 teams in the main qualification process. Meaning less games to qualify. 

The Nation's League will also effect Euro 2020 playoffs for qualifying; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

It's a bunch of fucking gibberish, but it's all contrived so that if a team like England fucks up during Euro 2020 Qualfying there's a 2nd chance assuming they don't lose all 4 games against Croatia/Spain.

These are the games England plays this Winter;

8 September 201820:45
(19:45 UTC+1)
England     v     Spain
Wembley Stadium, London

11 September 201820:45
(20:45 UTC+2)
Spain     v     Croatia
Manuel Martínez Valero, Elche

12 October 201820:45
Croatia     v     England
Stadion Rujevica, Rijeka

15 October 201820:45
Spain     v     England
Benito Villamarín, Seville

15 November 201820:45
(20:45 UTC+1)
Croatia     v     Spain
Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb
18 November 201815:00

(14:00 UTC±0)
England     v     Croatia
Wembley Stadium, London

Basically if England top their group (or don't lose every game) of England/Spain/Croatia, they'll basically be guaranteed at least the Euro 2020 Playoffs spot.

If they top the group, they'll advance to a pointless mini tournament next summer against the other 3 group winners in League A.

League A is;

Group 1[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Germany France Netherlands
1 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   6 Sep 19 Nov
2 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     16 Oct 9 Sep
3 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   13 Oct 16 Nov

Group 2[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Belgium Switzerland Iceland
1 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   12 Oct 15 Nov
2 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     18 Nov 8 Sep
3 21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   11 Sep 15 Oct

Group 3[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Portugal Italy Poland
1 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   10 Sep 20 Nov
2 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     17 Nov 7 Sep
3 23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   11 Oct 14 Oct

Group 4[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Spain England Croatia
1 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   15 Oct 11 Sep
2 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     8 Sep 18 Nov
3 23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   15 Nov 12 Oct

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, killuridols said:

This is worse than waiting for Chinese Democracy I, II & III 😒

You mean UYI 3, 4, and 5 surely. lol

I should start watching Euro football. Copa Libertadores soon too, but I should atleast add more to entertain me. What do you suggest guys? Serie A for CR7?

Edited by ChristmasFnatic
  • Like 1

I bet if they bring back the British Home Championship - it needn't be necessarily annually - it would be a success now, given the different climate from what led to its decline. It would give the Scottish something to do and allow the English to ''win sumthin''. Incidentally I understand that the Northern Irish are as pleased as punch to be technically the current holders, ''Reigning Champions of the United Kingdom'', winning the thing the year it was abolished, 1983-4. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

8 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The draw for qualification is in December. That's when England can play the scrub teams to qualify as usual. However the UEFA Nations League will affect seeding for those groups.

If a team tops the table during UEFA Nation's League and goes to the mini-tournament next year, they'll be guaranteed to get drawn into a group of 5 teams in the main qualification process. Meaning less games to qualify. 

The Nation's League will also effect Euro 2020 playoffs for qualifying; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

It's a bunch of fucking gibberish, but it's all contrived so that if a team like England fucks up during Euro 2020 Qualfying there's a 2nd chance assuming they don't lose all 4 games against Croatia/Spain.

These are the games England plays this Winter;

8 September 201820:45
(19:45 UTC+1)
England     v     Spain
Wembley Stadium, London

11 September 201820:45
Spain     v     Croatia
Manuel Martínez Valero, Elche

12 October 201820:45
Croatia     v     England
Stadion Rujevica, Rijeka

15 October 201820:45
Spain     v     England
Benito Villamarín, Seville

15 November 201820:45
(20:45 UTC+1)
Croatia     v     Spain
Stadion Maksimir, Zagreb
18 November 201815:00

(14:00 UTC±0)
England     v     Croatia
Wembley Stadium, London

Basically if England top their group (or don't lose every game) of England/Spain/Croatia, they'll basically be guaranteed at least the Euro 2020 Playoffs spot.

If they top the group, they'll advance to a pointless mini tournament next summer against the other 3 group winners in League A.

League A is;

Group 1[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Germany France Netherlands
1 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Germany 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   6 Sep 19 Nov
2 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     16 Oct 9 Sep
3 23px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Netherlands 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   13 Oct 16 Nov

Group 2[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Belgium Switzerland Iceland
1 23px-Flag_of_Belgium_%28civil%29.svg.png Belgium 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   12 Oct 15 Nov
2 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png  Switzerland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     18 Nov 8 Sep
3 21px-Flag_of_Iceland.svg.png Iceland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   11 Sep 15 Oct

Group 3[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Portugal Italy Poland
1 23px-Flag_of_Portugal.svg.png Portugal 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   10 Sep 20 Nov
2 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png Italy 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     17 Nov 7 Sep
3 23px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png Poland 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   11 Oct 14 Oct

Group 4[edit]

Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification or relegation   Spain England Croatia
1 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Spain 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Qualification to Nations League Finals   15 Oct 11 Sep
2 23px-Flag_of_England.svg.png England 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0     8 Sep 18 Nov
3 23px-Flag_of_Croatia.svg.png Croatia 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Relegation to League B   15 Nov 12 Oct

This seems like a new way for England to humiliate themselves. Potentially they lose all the post tournament “friendlies” then don’t qualify out of the group. But first get beat by two of the best teams in Europe to build uncertainity. 

Edited by wasted

11 hours ago, wasted said:

there’s also 20 host cities to bribe instead of just one country. 

I found this tournament very confusing. League D is for the smallest/bad teams. But is there relegation in that group? Somebody is going to finish in last place. What happen to that team?

Most of the big names are in League A. Do they play against each other at some point? The Champion of this tournament. Is champion of what exactly?

16 hours ago, wasted said:

They were the best team. But just needed to be a bit more defensive against Belgium. But they created about 30 chances. France parked the bus every game!

Well, by 2022, the young French players will be better and in their prime surely. So they can give Brazil problems. 

I thought France deserved it.

It was either France or Belgium, the outcome of which was settled in the semi-final, so we were left with a deserving France essentially. True, France do not look the finished article (I even think England could have a 1/3 chance against them) but that second half was a ''world cup winners'' 45 minutes, minus the goalkeeping gaffe. The passage of play that led to the Pogba goal was the stuff off winners. So I certainly don't feel how I felt when Italy won it in 2006 playing dog shite, or even Spain 2010 when they were not very convincing really. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Well, by 2022, the young French players will be better and in their prime surely. So they can give Brazil problems. 

Pogba and Kante will be knackered in 4 years. So will Griezmann. Giroud has just secured a loan spell to Everton. 

My guess is Germany will do well at Euros then be back by 2022. But Qatar is hot as fuck and you can’t drink beer there. No place to hold a football tournament. 

Edited by wasted

5 hours ago, Padme said:

I found this tournament very confusing. League D is for the smallest/bad teams. But is there relegation in that group? Somebody is going to finish in last place. What happen to that team?

Most of the big names are in League A. Do they play against each other at some point? The Champion of this tournament. Is champion of what exactly?

Those initial fixtures are like friendlies rubber stamped by Uefa. Top teams in A and in descending order to D, but theres a semi then final closer to June 22? 

But theres still basic league qualifiers. 

They win champions of Europe. 

England will probably get kicked out after Brexit. 

52 minutes ago, wasted said:

Pogba and Kante will be knackered in 4 years. So will Griezmann. Giroud has just secured a loan spell to Everton. 

My guess is Germany will do well at Euros then be back by 2022. But Qatar is hot as fuck and you can’t drink beer there. No place to hold a football tournament. 

The World Cup will be in November/December, so there won’t be a heat concern. And I heard that they will allow drinking in fan zones, but that’s it.

42 minutes ago, Juventino said:

The World Cup will be in November/December, so there won’t be a heat concern. And I heard that they will allow drinking in fan zones, but that’s it.

You can drink in hotels and some shops sell black plastic bags to carry cans around. But it’s just a weird atmosphere you can’t get properly paraletic in these places. 

World Cup Xmas Santa Coca Cola? My money is on the USA to win it now. Have also consider Italy and Holland will be back in the mix. 

Edited by wasted

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

Holland will be back in the mix. 

I think it will take a little longer. They are having a 'weak' generation for the first time since the early 80s, it might be a little longer than 4 years to come out of that. Although after the early 80s they won the Euro cup in 1988, so anything is possible, I guess.