THE OFFICIAL PROPER FOOTBALL THREAD 2020/21

Len Cnut

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think it will take a little longer. They are having a 'weak' generation for the first time since the early 80s, it might be a little longer than 4 years to come out of that. Although after the early 80s they won the Euro cup in 1988, so anything is possible, I guess.

Its true I cant think of any holland players. Depay? 

McClaren was over there playing 3-5-2 so he’s probably poisoned a whole generation. 

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

what a horrible shit they chose for WC..... who in the f**** is gonna go to that desert?

Sharia law.

Alcohol is virtually illegal; only five-star hotels allow it, and then only for non-Muslims foreign tourists (so a liberal Muslim, from say a country such as Turkey, would receive 100 lashes). Further, I imagine it is about £20 a pint or something ridiculous like that! Homosexuality is punishable by death. Female adultery, punishable by death. Judicially, female testimonies are only worth ''half'' a man's. Women have to dress very modestly of course. Most of Qatar's neighbours hate them because of their support for the Muslim Brotherhood (et al.), so it will be interesting for teams like Egypt and the Saudis!

But yes...

I wonder if Diego can bring his, ehh, special powder, his ''charlie'' (as Len calls it)? It would take a heart of stone to deny him his powder.

They may ban Vuvuzela though, so all is not bad? 

58 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sharia law.

Judicially, female testimonies are only worth ''half'' a man's. Women have to dress very modestly of course. 

Which may sound good in theory but ......... 

:lol: 

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sharia law.

Alcohol is virtually illegal; only five-star hotels allow it, and then only for non-Muslims foreign tourists (so a liberal Muslim, from say a country such as Turkey, would receive 100 lashes). Further, I imagine it is about £20 a pint or something ridiculous like that! Homosexuality is punishable by death. Female adultery, punishable by death. Judicially, female testimonies are only worth ''half'' a man's. Women have to dress very modestly of course. Most of Qatar's neighbours hate them because of their support for the Muslim Brotherhood (et al.), so it will be interesting for teams like Egypt and the Saudis!

But yes...

I wonder if Diego can bring his, ehh, special powder, his ''charlie'' (as Len calls it)? It would take a heart of stone to deny him his powder.

They may ban Vuvuzela though, so all is not bad? 

I have a huge problem with all of that and I reject it all. Hopefully, Argentina doesnt make it and we don't have to endure such shit :ph34r:

Maradona doesnt have a problem with any of those guys. He was living in Dubai for the last 3 or 4 years. Now he's moving to Beloruss. He is loved by the Arab Princes and all those millionaire assholes :shrugs:

He wants to help Argentina, though. Said he would do it for free. But here people are talking about bringing Pekerman to become the manager and others mentioned Guardiola as the next coach.

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

what a horrible shit they chose for WC..... who in the f**** is gonna go to that desert?

Not to mention the horrendous amount of suffering and death that has gone into constructing the stadia. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, wasted said:

You can drink in hotels and some shops sell black plastic bags to carry cans around. But it’s just a weird atmosphere you can’t get properly paraletic in these places. 

World Cup Xmas Santa Coca Cola? My money is on the USA to win it now. Have also consider Italy and Holland will be back in the mix. 

Definitely, it won't be the same. Not exactly looking forward to it and I'm thinking I'd rather go to Euro 2020, although that too won't have the same tournament feel given it's being played across Europe.

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

Not to mention the horrendous amount of suffering and death that has gone into constructing the stadia. 

They must think the WC is all about money and big ass stadiums. Well, that's what it's turned to lately but the spirit of WC is not about money. It's about the soccer fans supporting their teams and the joy they bring to those stadiums.

If people can't be happy and have to go to a place where everything's forbidden and they live as if it was Middle Age, they will have a shitty WC regardless of all the millions invested in stadiums.

Just now, killuridols said:

They must think the WC is all about money and big ass stadiums. Well, that's what it's turned to lately but the spirit of WC is not about money. It's about the soccer fans supporting their teams and the joy they bring to those stadiums.

If people can't be happy and have to go to a place where everything's forbidden and they live as if it was Middle Age, they will have a shitty WC regardless of all the millions invested in stadiums.

They’ll most probably legalise booze in like, I dunno, the stadium areas.  I mean they must do right?  I dont think I’ve ever been in a football stadium sober before.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

They’ll most probably legalise booze in like, I dunno, the stadium areas.  I mean they must do right?  I dont think I’ve ever been in a football stadium sober before.

Maybe :shrugs:

But that's not enough and I'm not talking about alcohol because I couldn't care less about that. 

As it was shown in Russia, fans invade the streets and spend a long time roaming around, singing, jumping, doing their fan stuff. If the environment is restrictive and the locals are not welcoming, that's where I see the clash.

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Maybe :shrugs:

But that's not enough and I'm not talking about alcohol because I couldn't care less about that. 

As it was shown in Russia, fans invade the streets and spend a long time roaming around, singing, jumping, doing their fan stuff. If the environment is restrictive and the locals are not welcoming, that's where I see the clash.

I don't see how its manageable myself.  And what I also don't get in if they can't do it in the summer then what will happen to league games and all that?

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't see how its manageable myself.  And what I also don't get in if they can't do it in the summer then what will happen to league games and all that?

No idea...... I don't like those dates either... So close to Christmas, it's a nightmare, at least for me.

England are long overdue. England, the inventors of football, has only hosted one World Cup (1966) 52 years' ago. In contrast Italy (1934, 1990), France (1938, 1998), Brazil (1950, 2014), Mexico (1970, 1986) and Germany (1974, 2006) have all had two. Uruguay and to a lesser extent, Argentina and Spain are probably due one also - Spain and Portugal had a joint bid in for 2018. They believe the future, because of economics, will be two-three countries jointly hosting - the 2002 formula - as with 2026, North America. I bet Uruguay and Argentina could be joint hosts.

Australia had a bid in for 2022. It would be like the Ashes: Gabba, Adelaide, WACA, SCG, MCG.

There was talk of the three Celtic nations jointly hosting a Euros. 

PS

Ahh, further on the latter point it was Scotland and the Irish Republic for Euro 2008, then Wales joined them for a Euro 2020 bid. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is one of those big sterile places in the desert, full of millionaire corporate in modern hotels but not much else. 

I've always felt that about most of America...it all looks a bit pre-fab.  These vast expanses of land with these little townships dotted about, almost like they don't belong. 

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've always felt that about most of America...it all looks a bit pre-fab.  These vast expanses of land with these little townships dotted about, almost like they don't belong. 

Well these a big futuristic cities, e.g., Doha,

doha-corniche-02.jpg

You might however pick up another wife there Len.

It is basically a curious amalgam of a millionaire's paradise (look at the cars on the left of the picture) and Medieval Islam. The UAE is like that also, where Pakistan play their ''home'' games - they built all of these cricket stadia in the desert. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

:lol: It's completely banned in Scottish football. We can't be trusted to behave apparently.

6 minutes ago, Graeme said:

:lol: It's completely banned in Scottish football. We can't be trusted to behave apparently.

That happened to me at a Champions League game a season or two ago, they wouldn't serve booze.  Ain't been to a CL game since, fuck em.

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Oh My God. Why don't you marry England already?

I even argued for other nations hosting (Argentina, Spain) if you had bothered to read the full quote rather than citing the flimsiest morsel. Heck, you Dutch should have hosted one by now, perhaps jointly with Belgium (or perhaps not depending on your national inclination)?

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

England are long overdue. England, the inventors of football, has only hosted one World Cup (1966) 52 years' ago. In contrast Italy (1934, 1990), France (1938, 1998), Brazil (1950, 2014), Mexico (1970, 1986) and Germany (1974, 2006) have all had two. Uruguay and to a lesser extent, Argentina and Spain are probably due one also - Spain and Portugal had a joint bid in for 2018. They believe the future, because of economics, will be two-three countries jointly hosting - the 2002 formula - as with 2026, North America. I bet Uruguay and Argentina could be joint hosts.

Australia had a bid in for 2022. It would be like the Ashes: Gabba, Adelaide, WACA, SCG, MCG.

There was talk of the three Celtic nations jointly hosting a Euros. 

PS

Ahh, further on the latter point it was Scotland and the Irish Republic for Euro 2008, then Wales joined them for a Euro 2020 bid. 

I heard there is a possibility of England in 2030. BUT not in England only, Portugal and Morocco as well. Meaning the 3 of them. It's being discussed by FIFA apparently. Why not Argentina and Uruguay in 2030? Because in 2026 the WC takes place in the Americas with the U.S. Mexico and Canada hosting the WC. So there is pretty much no chance of two WC in the Americas in a row.